Rangefinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rangefinder

Do any of you carry a rangefinder on board. I see a few possible applications and was wondering if anyone uses one. If so, make and model?
    Do you think that the design for golfing might work?

Thanks,

Joe
    2001 5288
    Lucky Liner ll

I do not carry one. Instead, I use radar if I want to figure out a precise distance on the water.

I don't know why a range finder would not work, but I would caution not to use it on vessels. The range finders work using a laser. Not only could this blind or disorient someone, a recently passed law prohibits causing the beam of a laser to strike a vessel operating on the navigable waters of the United States.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

I carry one, it's simply the one I use for golfing.... you can find them new for a hundred bucks or so....it's good to about 500 yds if there is a reflective surface to point at. somewhat less for trees and rocks...

Comment

I have a Simmons golf range finder which at approx $120 was fairly inexpensive. It's simple and quick to use, and while it's laser based, it has no visible beam and no risk of injuring anyone.

I use it for anchoring where it's handy for measuring distances for stern tying, or when we are free anchored, I can quickly check the distance to any other boats anchored nearby.

It works on trees, rocks, fiberglass, in fact everything I've ever pointed it at. I think the range is around 600 yards, but I never need anything like that distance.
        Rob
        Bayliner 5788
        'Merlin V'
        Vancouver BC

Comment

For longer distances RADAR is the proper tool. But for distances in the 100 to 300 yards a range finder works well. I'm not certain of exactly which model I have but I did a search on Amazon and chose the best for the price. I believe I paid in the $150 range. I used it a few time to confirm swing room on both anchor and mooring buoy. Worked great.

RB Cooper

Comment

Yes i carry one with me for to determine swing arc when achoring and distance from other boats, shore, rocks, etc. it is also helpful in the middle of the night when you want to recheck your position while anchoring. Great Tool.

Comment

I have the Bosch model GLM165-40..good to 165 feet...but I only use it when I need to measure static distances like distance between pilings and to pilings across the slip when I as picking out a slip. Basically where a tape measure would be too difficult to use or when measuring with a rule needs two people. I do not use it when anchoring as not to bother other boats with the laser. Wouldn't want to have them think I was sightin' in on 'em with a rifle...

On my previous boat, 38 Ericson sailboat, I used it to measure to the top of the mast. I've also used it building decks, stairs, fences, etc...

For anchoring, I rely on wind, current and my past experiences for distance to other boats. Anchor chain markings help a great deal. I use a hockey puck compass(VION MARINE Mini 2000 Hand Bearing Compass)
              to triangulate to targets on shore to make sure I haven't dragged.

For greater distances I use my radar...
              1988 3888
              Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
              Onan 8KW

Comment

This was very helpful. Thanks for your responses.
                We are going to add one to our tools.
                Joe
                2001 5288
                Lucky Liner ll

Comment

Working...
                X