Adding Flybridge Drain to 3988

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Flybridge Drain to 3988

Has anyone added a floor drain to a 3988 Flybridge or have a 3988 that may have been added from a PO? Ours tends to accumulate some water at the top of the ladder as the flybridge floor is a little lower there. I've looked behind the access panel ( top left of steps) and it looks like there is a side drain outlet you could connect to if you could install a small flush through hull type drain.

Jim
    Althea -- 2000 3988 270 Cummins, Hull Extension
    Semiahmoo, WA

I'm sure it's no help but, mine accumulates water in the same spot, and always leaves a dirty spot at top of the stairs. I think my fix is going to be enclosing the bridge.
    1995 3988 250 Hinos
    "When mad yell, when really mad curse"

Comment

Hi Jim. Hey all the 3988s accumulate water there. Adding a drain will be really hard and expensive. I was contemplating creating a ramp build up with fiberglass putty and fairing it up to the top of the matching surface to eliminate the little valley where the water accumulates or adding a thick bead of caulking to the seam there. Either that or possibly cutting a channel in the gel coat so it would drain off the side.
      Guntar
      1999 3988
      Cummins 270s

Comment

On mine, I usually add a few extra gallons of fuel to the tank on the other side and it changes the slope of the flybridge and drains the low spot.

Comment

Mine doesn't accumulate water there so I am guessing hard top or dinghy or as Russ says, fuel, might cause the puddle.
          1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I am sure everyboat is different -- ours pools because the actual flybridge floor is about 1/4 inch lower than the rear coming at the top of the ladder. Its never a lot but we have to remember to fold the carpet corner we have up there if rain is coming. Was just wondering if anyone had the same issue and had tried to mitigate it.

Jim
            Althea -- 2000 3988 270 Cummins, Hull Extension
            Semiahmoo, WA

Comment

I looked yesterday to see why mine does not accumulate water. There is a groove that is molded in that leads from the bench to the port side panel. The groove will channel the water under the panel to an existing out of sight drain. Thet groove has some factory caulking but does not plug the groove right at the side panel. Ensure your groove is not plugged with caulking at the panel.

Comment

• jimbo88
                jimbo88 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the the tip! Where does that drain exit BTW? I wont be back at the boat for awhile not will investigate when I am. Jim

Exits with all the other bridge water...supposedly out the scupper but in reality out the round plate that looks like at one time they planned a speaker.

Comment

Working...
              X