Water Leaking From Salon Fluorescent Light Fixtures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Leaking From Salon Fluorescent Light Fixtures

We had our first very heavy rains yesterday since buying our 1989 3818 a few months ago. I found water dripping from each of the 2 fluorescent light fixtures under the valance in the salon on the starboard side. The water was dripping in each case from the wiring that enters the ballast. As best I could tell there was no visible water that was running from one fixture to the other, so I’m assuming the leak is running somewhere internally between the fixtures.

I would be grateful hearing from from anyone who has solved this problem or has any suggestions on how to fix/diagnose it.

Cheers.

I would recommend re-sealing every screw/fixture from gutter rail up to the top of radar arch.Stanichons,searchlight,arch,antennas,helm chair,seats,....You get the idea,might buy some stock in 3M...Many of us have had this kind of leak or very similar it's not just a 38 issue....Good hunting.....Brad
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Brad is correct. We chased one one time that Took a very long time to find. Caulked everything neatly on the boat until finally one day the leak stopped. I wish I had a better answer for you than that. Now on a bigger boat with a leak that has turned out to be expensive for my bunk room we will be replacing all of the seals around our windshield at the pilot House level. I will be hiring that one out .

Good luck.
      Joe
      2001 5288
      Lucky Liner ll

Comment

I had the same issue with my 3870, I found that on one side when the drip rail was removed every 3rd screw was missing, on the other side every other screw was missing under the drip rail, the pilot holes were drilled then water flowed in.
        Same with the joint, no sealant or very little sealant.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I did everything to solve leaks. Mine was primarily on the port side soaking the valance. We re-did the arch and sealed it, every rail base, re-bedded the Venturi, also every crack and hole on th flybridge deck. There had been a rectangular table and base P.O. Had installed rear port side on fly bridge. The base and fiber glass had decayed. Fixed. Leaks are now resolve!
          i also had replaced all window slide tracks but failed to adequately cut drain slots. Water was puddling and running over the interior drain channel. Cut out & resolved.
          As the day on an infomerecial “but wait, there’s more”.
          1999 4588
          Channel Islands Marina, Ca.

Comment

Don't neglect the screws holding the seat boxes down. Good Luck
            Richard
            1988 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Might be time to use a moisture meter and make sure any wood core is dry around fittings.
              1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Could someone explain for me how the radar arch is mounted to the flybridge and where the ingress points are for water leaks into the boat that could be sealed? I do see that the arch looks to be bolted vertically to the side of the flybridge, but is it also bolted horizontally to the flybridge deck? Where would be the recommended points to apply sealant? Photos welcome!

At this stage I’m not sure that my cabin leak is from the radar arch, I’m suspecting it’s more likely the drip rail or possibly the rail above the drip rail.

Thanks all for your advice.

Cheers.

Comment

• brad4550
                  brad4550 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes the Arch is only attached with the 4 bolts.Water could enter the Arch thru any attachment on Arch,and side vinyl panels (most likely) . Then as previously said all screws entering bridge deck.As you said do check the gutter and hand rails as screws do penetrate into the flybridge deck.Also you have access hatches on sides of flybridge walls sean them to.....Hope this helps...Brad

We found that water would follow wiring and drip in a totally unexpected area. We re-sealed ever wire/cable run entry. I had water coming in from the STB that would trickle trail to the Port. This was more noticeable when we off-loaded the dink and left it down for a rainy season.

few things are as satisfying as a dry salon!

Comment

Another location for leaks is the pipe for the wiring from the FB, I sealed mine at the top.
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Removed a portion of the gutter rail on starboard side and we found the wood to be wet. Dried it out best we could and resealed the rail. Had a lot of rain last night and the bucket in the salon didn’t have a drop. Hoping that we have addressed the issue, for now at least. Thanks to everyone who provided advice, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X