Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588: Topcoat paint

Hi all...
    Working hard on my 4588...was up top on the pilothouse rooftop sanding a very chalky gelcoat to ultimately buff and wax, when to my surprise, I realized I was sanding through a layer of topcoat paint. Apparently somewhere in the history of this boat everything above the rubrail...EVERYTHING has been topcoat painted....now what?

In a way, given the condition of the aluminum sides where the windows are, and the condition of the foredeck and swim platform, I'm almost happy to paint....but with what and what process?

1. I know that the aluminum sides will be sanded down to bear metal and then etched with an etching primer..
    2. I'm guessing I will sand and rough up all of the remaining areas with 400 grit sandpaper using a DA
    3. Do I need a primer before using something like Awlgrip Polyester Urethane topcoat?
    4. How many coats of Awlgrip? Any better paint options than Awlgrip?

My plan will be to roll and tip the paint...

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Originally posted by jeff_perfater View Post
    Hi all...
    Working hard on my 4588...was up top on the pilothouse rooftop sanding a very chalky gelcoat to ultimately buff and wax, when to my surprise, I realized I was sanding through a layer of topcoat paint. Apparently somewhere in the history of this boat everything above the rubrail...EVERYTHING has been topcoat painted....now what?

In a way, given the condition of the aluminum sides where the windows are, and the condition of the foredeck and swim platform, I'm almost happy to paint....but with what and what process?

1. I know that the aluminum sides will be sanded down to bear metal and then etched with an etching primer..
    2. I'm guessing I will sand and rough up all of the remaining areas with 400 grit sandpaper using a DA
    3. Do I need a primer before using something like Awlgrip Polyester Urethane topcoat?
    4. How many coats of Awlgrip? Any better paint options than Awlgrip?

My plan will be to roll and tip the paint...

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
    "Awlgrip" makes a primer.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...BAgNEAE&adurl=
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Why roll and tip Jeff. I’d bet you the prior coat was sprayed, which has to give a more even almost indistinguishable finish. I’ve just had my window frames done last month (sprayed) and I’ve had rubrail sections sprayed after hairline cracks were repaired several years back, and the paint matches easily and it wax’s up nicely and you’d be hard pressed to know the difference/blend with gelcoat.

Everyone has their own preferences, but would you hand paint a car??

Cheers
      John H
      Brisbane QLD Aust
      "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

as long as the existing paint is adhered well, sand it, prime it and paint it..... yes, use a primer under the new paint. it has adhesion qualities the paint by itself doesnt have.. in addition, the primer is a different color so you will be able to easily tell where you have painted and where you havent... and when spraying the paint over primer, you will be able to see how much paint you are applying, so you can minimize the runs and sags...
        painting a large white surface with corners and bends, with white paint is tough to do without skips, misses and runs.... use the primer!

if you are doing the deck and topsides, I agree spraying will be the best. a boat that size can take several days to roll and tip and do a good job of it.... remember, the quality of the prep work is 95% of a good, quality paint job... the prep work also takes 90% of the time if done adequately...

NU LIBERTE'
        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
        5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
        N2K equipped throughout..
        2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
        2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
        '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
        Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Checkout boatworkstoday.com. Andy has some info and videos on a new paint called alexseal I believe. He prefers it to awlgrip and looks very roll and tip friendly.
          Tony Bacon,
          Washougal, WA
          Caspian
          1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

you should consider an automotive polyurethane paint, sprayed. I painted a lot of cars with this material myself, and painted my radar arch. 10 years later the arch looks brand new... prep involves surface repair and sanding thru grits...400 leaves a good adhesive surface...add a coat of primer/sealer, let flash 2 hours, and follow with polyurethane 2 coats. good luck!
            ken

Comment

Working...
            X