4788 Radar-gctid350673

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Radar-gctid350673

I'm upgrading the original Raytheon radar on our 4788.

I intend to remove the radar cable, but I'm having trouble pulling them out.

It seems they are cable-tied to other wiring the entire way.

Even in the raceway from the bunk room closet to behind the refrig, and within the radar arch.

For those that have messed with this radar cable, is this what you have experienced too?

If so, did you abandon the cable? Or find some creative way to remove it?
    Pat
    Paragon
    1999 4788

just a thought ...would cutting the end off help... it will allow the cable to slip thru the wire ties... Im having to snake mine back to where it is suppose to be... different issue and a real pain... can use a line...lol what system are you upgrading too.. IM considering going broadband..

Comment

If you go with the cut & pull method, a suggestion would be to BEFORE you do the 'pulling', tie a couple of strings onto the end being pulled through, so you'll automatically have a pull string for your new radar wire(s) and a couple of spares for anything in the future you ever want to send up or down.
      Geoff & Jen
      Shocking Lesson
      1986 3870
      Hino 175's

Comment

After some creative flashlight and mirror tricks (and getting my hands/arms scraped up) I've been able to see that the radar cable is cable-tied with a number of other wires. These cable-ties are cinched tight and inaccessable, so there's not much alternative other than abandoning the cable.

Getting other wiring thru is not a problem as I have a fish tape, but I was hoping to remove unused wiring rather than abandon them.
        Pat
        Paragon
        1999 4788

Comment

We had the same issue. We just cut the cable out where we could and left the rest.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Hi Guys I to am cosidering this job on our 4788.

Is it possable for someone to discribe the exact route the cable takes to get to the radar arch?

How does the wiring get from the pilothouse up to the flying bridge?

This would be really helpfull.

Thanks
            Horizon 68
            Sydney

Comment

I replaced the original Raymarine radar on my 4087 earlier this year. Same thing - found the radar cable tied to other stuff inside the arch. It's almost as if they built the arch *around* the cables! I had to cut off the cable and abandon it.

I sold the old Raymarine unit on eBay for a fairly decent price to a fellow in Australia who was happy to pay the shipping costs from Texas.

For those that are interested, I replaced the Raymarine unit with a Garmin GMR18HD. I love having the radar image overlayed on the chartplotter. We're in the process of moving to a different Bayliner and plan to repeat the process there.
              Evan
              2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
              League City, TX

Comment

AndrewF wrote:
                Hi Guys I to am cosidering this job on our 4788.

Is it possable for someone to discribe the exact route the cable takes to get to the radar arch?

How does the wiring get from the pilothouse up to the flying bridge?

This would be really helpfull.

Thanks
                From underneath the pilothouse dash, you can reach forward to above the top drawer in the bunk stateroom closet. Just pull the drawer out and you'll see all the wires.

From the bunk stateroom closet there are two pvc conduits to behind the fridge.

From behind the fridge you can go up into the flybridge in memory serves me correctly.

From behind the fridge you can go down into the engine room for sure. The path is on the starboard side of the midberth closet. The panel there is easy to remove. This will get you into the forward bilge.

From there go aft into the engine room, or accross the bilge then up to behind the electrical panel in the pilothouse.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

+1

Just done this exercise as I upgraded my Radar and the cable was fairly easy to pull through from behind the fridge & forward Bunk Stateroom Closet. Best to take out all drawers and if you small enough you get get your head right up there (I did!).

Luckily the cables were not tied.

From behind the fridge, the cable goes up and can be found under the Flybridge helm station, jut unhook the vinyl cover and it should be on the stb side of the Flybridge helm. Good luck.
                  Allan
                  '97 4788 - "Romeo IV"
                  Auckland, New Zealand

Comment

Removing the fridge is the starting point. The radar/plotter cable comes thru the large conduit pipes behind the fridge. That's easy to pull back from the pilothouse. From the fridge area, it goes up and behind the microwave with a whole bunch of cable ties, then up to the flybridge (behind the small perspex doors on the LSH), then thru a large conduit tube running behind the seats to the radar arch. It is cable tied everywhere. I had unscrewed the "L" shape aluminium moulding on the rear of the arch and managed to get most of the old cable out as I was inserting the new digital cable and resealed it all back together. I had the bright idea of removing all of the cable too, but the microwave was the issue. Trying to lie on my back feet on the sink bench and my back on the oven top cutting the cable ties, I ended up bending the s/s cook top cover. At that point I said some expletives and the cable could stay there leaving the section behind the microwave.

I managed to remove the cook top cover and straighten that back so no harm done, but it was another job I didn't need.

Have fun with it. Cheers
                    John H
                    Brisbane QLD Aust
                    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

cosmo777 wrote:
                      I'm upgrading the original Raytheon radar on our 4788.

I intend to remove the radar cable, but I'm having trouble pulling them out.

It seems they are cable-tied to other wiring the entire way.

Even in the raceway from the bunk room closet to behind the refrig, and within the radar arch.

For those that have messed with this radar cable, is this what you have experienced too?

If so, did you abandon the cable? Or find some creative way to remove it?
                      What are your plans for the old Radar?

Chris

Comment

dewman wrote:
                        What are your plans for the old Radar?

Chris
                        Sold it already...
                        Pat
                        Paragon
                        1999 4788

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Glad you were able to defray the cost of your upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                          X