Wet passageway 4588

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet passageway 4588

Following a 40 mile shake down run I found water in the hallway hold where the central vac used to be (1 gal. ) The water puddled under the shower pan. Also found wet spot in the passage way on the carpet. Additionally, found a damp spot on the master mattress too stb. Ports showed no sign of leakage. Could I have gotten through via chain locker? Can’t figure out the source of the leak. Any ideas.

Have a look in the small locker above the wardrobe on the starboard side of the master cabin. There is a removable upholstery panel in the back of this cupboard that will allow you to see through to the deck/hull joint. If the hull lining back in there is wet it can soak it’s way down to all the areas you mentioned. We found a leak from a hand rail base above was the source and a relatively easy fix. Ian 😎
    Ian & Emma
    MV "LaPaloma"
    1990 4588
    Bay of Islands
    New Zealand

Comment

You are describing pretty much the same symptoms I had on my 4788.

These issues were traced to the bedding of the rail bases, pretty much all of them.

Another place I found leaking was the portholes. I should have rebedded these, but was able to solve the issue by re-caulking them from the outside.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

First determine if water is fresh on salt. If salt, do you have electric heads or new units that are fresh water. The location you describe has two valves that attach to thru hulls for salt water for old style heads. Check these hoses and flush toilets to see if water appears in area. If water you have is fresh, check for shower pumps and drain hose leaks...these and tub water supply are in this area, and if you look under master head sink check for any faucet leak here too. There are also other places rain water can come in to this area like scupper drains on forward deck and bad gaskets around any fittings like electrical inlets that can enter here. So start by identifying type of water. It may help to have someone else use a hose to put water on deck and scuppers to look for egress of water too....water is hard to trace, it can travel a long way! It took me years to diagnose a leak I had around the aft edge of the pilothouse windows that allowed water in...the trim plate appeared caulked and sealed but on removal I found evidence of water damage from the original build! Just a few more ideas to help with your diagnosis.

Comment

Ultimately, I found that there was an overflow issue with the shower/sink sump (the dc dash switch inadvertently turned off) It had over flowed into the bilge area beneath, under the shower pan
          & into the mid-bilge. But it has splashed everywhere. The wetness at the base of the master bed seemed to be fresh but a bit sticky. There was a de-humidifying crystal bowl that may have been the source. I do suspect the deck/hull sealant any way. I’ll check it as described.

Comment

Sorry that I was of no help. This happened to us as well and the requirement was only that I clean out the sump pump that was clogged with everything soon after we bought our 4788 years ago
            Joe
            2001 5288
            Lucky Liner ll

Comment

The lid needs to be tightly refit following cleaning. Wish there was a stripping switch to totally empty for rough water. Over flow seems to drain under the spot where the useless central vac was located and under the shower pan. Must eventually drain partially to the mid bilge.

Comment

We had this issue on our 4788, the shower/sink sump stops working, it overflows and spills on to a stringer which the water runs across getting the carpet wet. I added an overflow with a plastic fitting and hose to force the water into the bilge in the case of another failure. On our boat it will drain into the forward bilge, along with the refrigerator drain, where it can be pumped out.
                Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

Interestingly the forward bilge in my 4588 has a low float switch activated pump and a stripping pump mounted up on the port side. There is a hose and drain scupper. Back flow let’s remanent water flow back to the bilge. I actually used a bulb syringe to pump it dry. Same issue in the aft bilge.
                  I don’t like standing water.

Comment

Working...
                  X