No announcement yet.

4788 KVH Satellite Dish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Dish changed their frequencies a few years ago, I upgraded to a KVH TV5. The switch was easy and all went well. One reason I stayed with KVH is that it didn't require any new wires to be fed up to the radar arch. The new KVH units (TV3, TV5, etc.) send power up the same coax cable that the TV signals come back on. I went with Dish because they offered High Def TV and, at the time, DirecTV only offered Standard Def.

Good luck,
    Jim V.
    5788 in Seattle

Comment

• sockeye
      sockeye commented
      Editing a comment
      I am going with the KVH TV series as well for the reasons you mentioned.Another club member recently upgraded his M5 to TV5 and is very pleased
      with its ease of use and simple install. I doubt we can use the Winegard system in Canada ( thank you jmoultry for your comments) for the Bell Network. so our choices are either Intellion or KVH I started this post to see if anyone purchased their sat equipment from either Defender or WMJ and never got a reply on point. I am going with WMJ as they insure their products for shipping..They also ship for free to Blaine Wa and are approx $500 less than the local dealers .One retailer in Vancouver wants $980.00 US more the WMJ .That's too much of a difference to watch the news!

Last weekend I had a chance to test out the Winegard "RV" Durasat system for Dish. I can report that swinging at anchor, rocking and cruising it performed flawlessly, no loss of signal whatsoever. I did a crude installation to test it by zip tieing the unit on top of the old tv antenna that is still up top, running the power cord to the arch light through the cover lens and running the coax down and in the window. I plan to do a full installation of it soon but wanted to test it before being fully committed.

For the low price of under $1,000 (MSRP 1k, online about $850), plus the purchase of a Wally receiver (about $90) I now have Dish in HD on the boat.

For anyone doing this you need to make a change to the dip switches to make it operate continuously as opposed to going to sleep when it detects the RV is no longer in motion. Dip switch settings are 3, 4, 6, 7 DOWN.

The unit makes noise (quiet, but you can hear it) constantly so do wire it to a switch or breaker that you can easily turn off to both prolong its life and avoid hearing it when not wanted.

I intend to add a sealant around the "ring" of the dome where it connects to the base of the unit as it is clearly designed to keep out dirt as opposed to salt water mist--it is otherwise sealed so just adding a bead of silicone will completely seal the unit and protect it for the marine environment vs. land.

For less than 1/3 the cost of other systems and the simplicity of not even having a control box this is a great way to go!
    2000 Bayliner 4788 "Perfect Balance"
    370HP Cummins
    Zodiac YL 340 30HP Nissan
    Moored at Roche Harbor

Comment

Mostly the same as other posts...Had dish for years. With some of their changes and upgrades, our 2001 system became obsolete. Now in the PNW after years in Channel Islands, Calif., we too went with Rogers and Roku and get pretty much everything we need. The Winegard system sounds intriguing but for now ours works everywhere we go. Pender Island tomorrow or the next day. I will report back if it doesn’t work.
      Joe
      2001 5288
      Lucky Liner ll

Comment

I have used Defender for years and have always had good luck with them.
        I bought the KVH TV5 from Hodges Marine as they had a better price at the time. I've always been happy with Hodges Marine as well.
        The TV5 / Dish Network worked well in Canada up to the north end of Desolation Sound. In the Broughtons (at the north end of Vancouver Island) some of the Dish Satellites didn't come in all that well.

Good Luck,
        Jim V.

Comment

• sockeye
          sockeye commented
          Editing a comment
          Never heard of Hodges Marine until you mentioned it.I went to the site and yes they are modestly less for the KVH product but the Intellion I3 is substantially less than the KVH product .In Vancouver an I3 is $4050 .At Hodges it is $2472 which is approx $3300 canadian ,$750.00 less than Vancouver .Now i am thinking Intellion may be best for me as long as i can get Bell Canada on the Hodges unit. I was sold on KVH but the I3 is close to $900 less than comparable KVH product..I use the TV mainly for watching news so why pay more for similar performance ?

I just bought a Winegard G2+ Carry Out from Amazon.com. On the site it says it works with Bell receiver for SD and HD.

Its on sale from $850.00 to $590.00 Canadian. About $414.00 in US Dollars. With Prime, shipping is free and I received it in one day. I have a Bell 9241 dual input PVR receiver on our boat that uses my home package for an extra 5 bucks a month. I was using a small camping dish that had a suction cup base but I was constantly having to re-aim it.

So I get it down to the boat and there are no Bell instructions in the box. Just for Dish and Direct.

So I call the help line and the guy says the dome will not work with Bell 9241, 9242, 9400 or 9500. WTF!!!

So back to Amazon with the Winegard info. I tell Amazon and Winegard they are selling stuff using false advertising.

Amazon told me to hang on and they will see what the can do.

While I'm waiting, I get an e-mail from Winegard on how to get it to work with Bell.

Amazon gets back to me saying I can have a full refund, or if I keep it, 20% off. I said I would let them know.

So I do the Bell install as instructed. The dome starts making noise, then locks on to the 2 Bell satellites. YA WHO!!

I tell Amazon I've decided to keep it and will take the 20% refund. So now I got it for $472.00.

Then I get another e mail from Amazon saying the are dealing with Winegard and thanks for letting Amazon know. Please take an addition 10% off your next purchase.

it works great at the dock with the boat rocking and with high and low tides.

I would probably have to stern tie if on the hook, but because I have a PVR, I have tons of stuff recorded for when we are swinging on the hook.

I've got it up on the upper deck of our 38 sitting on the passenger seat. Looks like R2D2 is going boating from the shore.

It's cable locked to a bimini pole.

JV

Comment

JV- isn't the carryout only for stationary use vs. the Durasat which is for use while moving? I was going to order the Durasat but found an open box Roadtrip (same as Durasat but with two antenna ports--not that I have any need) for slightly less so went with that one. So far it has worked great, only trouble was during the major downpour and lightning last Saturday I lost signal once for a moment while anchored outside the stadium--not bad considering the weather!
          370HP Cummins
          Moored at Roche Harbor

Comment

Yes it is for stationary only. We live real close so it's more like a floating condo for. In the past year we only left the dock for 3 days. Like I said, lots of stuff recorded on the PVR so on the hook, lots to watch. I will try it with a stern line to shore and see if it works like that.

We are on our boat most almost every weekend.

Comment

jmoultray
              Looked up winegaurd after your recent post.I see it supports Bell in Canada
              Did you get the durasat D4?
              Are you limited to 25 feet of cable as supplied with kit
              This post has got me thinking .Why spend more to watch the news if it works on Bell

Comment

I would have bought the durasat d4 as it is the same as the roadtrip except it only has a single antenna port for a single receiver vs. the roadtrip t4 which has two ports and thus supports two receivers--$400 price difference. I wound up finding an open box on Amazon of the roadtrip T4 for less than a new durasat so went that route but I confirmed with Winegard they are otherwise identical. They sell longer cables, the key is to use the correct type, RG6, not the cheaper RG 58 or 59--I imagine I will be over 50 feet once I wire it in--for now I have it zip tied to the radar arch and run in the window for initial testing.
                370HP Cummins
                Moored at Roche Harbor

Comment

Working...
                X