X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 KVH Satellite Dish

Looking to replace our aging Trackvision Sat dish
    with a new TV3 .Anyone out their ordered electronics
    from WMJ or Defender and had delivery issues or damage?
    WMJ is $215 less than Defender for same product. Plan on
    a delivery to Blaine Washington .
    If you have purchased this dish please inform us as to how
    well it works or if you had problems

Hey Ron, why would you look at Trackvision over Intellian? Roton has both BTW.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I just purchased a Winegard Durasat (same as the roadtrip but only supports one tv/box vs. two), it is designed for RVs but with a change of the dip switches it should work great on the boat. Dish in HD. Retail is one boat buck but can be found for around $850 from several online sources. I'll report back after install.
      2000 Bayliner 4788 "Perfect Balance"
      370HP Cummins
      Zodiac YL 340 30HP Nissan
      Moored at Roche Harbor

Comment

Winegard is ok if stationary but what about swinging at anchor?

Comment

Do some research on planned changes in DirecTV sat signals. There was an article recently in one of the PacNW mags or one of the forums. Could obsolete a whole lot of gear. Doubt you’ll get much insight from the dealers.
          Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
          Sammamish WA
          1998 4788 (April 2018)
          ”Knot Home”

Comment

• sockeye
            sockeye commented
            Editing a comment
            Knothome 4788
            Gord
            We use Bell in Canada.Last summer they altered something (can't remember what it was) but the result is the old Tracvision can no longer get HD but works ok for standard definition. The newer models were not affected but certainly could change again in the future

Sooner or later you'll simply stream if you're in a cell area. There are lots of cell dead zones though.

Comment

The last time DirecTv and Dish adjusted sat signals and which channels were on which satellites, at lot of KVH equipment went obsolete - a paper weight. Intellian was able to release a software patch, fixed the issue immediately.

Intellian, from a customer service perspective, is head and shoulders above KVH. I've called for some help and had the tech guy call me back on a Saturday of a long holiday weekend, and another time I caught him on his day off at the beach with his family. He happily took the time to walk me thru the diagnostics, fix my settings, and away I go....
            Pat
            Paragon
            1999 4788

Comment

We have utilized Trac for the past three years and it has been hooked to our home Direct tv. The problem was we could not get local network tv at the boat. Installed a new disc shaped antenna when we rebuilt arch and now get local tv including every Korean and Armenian channel in LA!
              While the HD air signal is available on the salon tv and the master berth, we were not set for trac/direct tv in the master suite. To solve the problem, my 13yr old grandson hooked ROKU to all TVs including the guest suite which is internet based. Now we can stay up all night watching mind numbing crap that is beyond sat tv.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle_Bob View Post
                Bob
                I am somewhat agnostic as to sat signal delivery just want to to change system as old Trackvision needs a little work
                The Tv reception when it works is great but even if i fix it it is still an old system. Its an 18 inch dish so someone may want
                it for $500 or so.but i think its time for a change. I will ask Ken at Roton the difference between the two. Do you have just one
                connection with RG-6 cable on Intellion ?

Comment

Intellian I2 with DishNet works well for us in eastern NC. Tri-sat setup gives us HD, SD and local channels. Has been reliable since installation 3 years ago.
                  Steve Taylor
                  2000 Bayliner 4788
                  Nighthawk I
                  New Bern, NC

Comment

One RG-6 (I think) that goes to a MIM (Multi satellite interface module) that mixes the sats and distributes to many tv's. RG-6 is also the power source.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle_Bob View Post
                      Bob
                      Spoke with ken at Roton today
                      He says both systems are good .Intellian is Korean and KVH is USA made
                      For my application though KVH may be better .I have my RG6 cable up on the
                      arch already with the existing Tracvision 4 unit.so I should be able to do a
                      very easy switch. Intellion requies two cables says Ken,one for the ICU (whatever that is)
                      and one for the MIMM box ,Intellion is a little less money .If it were a boat buck less
                      i would be inclined to switch but for a couple hundred $ probably not worth it as i could eat the difference
                      up by getting Marlon (our amazing handyman at the Club) to run the extra cable

Comment

The Winegard Durasat and Roadtrip models support in motion tracking--the trouble is the default setting goes to sleep and locks the unit in place below 10MPH after 6 minutes stationary, which is not good for a boat. However, with the change of some dip switches you can disable the sleep mode so it will continue tracking whenever powered up. Swinging at anchor certainly moves more slowly than a truck making a hard right turn so it should be able to track fine. What few reviews I have seen indicate it will work great.

I will follow up after I get it hooked up and test it a bit.

With Dish it gets HD channels. It can only track one satellite at a time (it is a small dish) so you can't use a multi tuner DVR--it can only watch one channel at a time. Great for watching a football game, bad for a liveaboard. I believe most KVH and Intellian will work this way as well unless you get the really large units--Track it, which uses a home dish, will also see multiple satellites at once, but then you have a huge dish on top of your boat that is rather unsightly.
                        2000 Bayliner 4788 "Perfect Balance"
                        370HP Cummins
                        Zodiac YL 340 30HP Nissan
                        Moored at Roche Harbor

Comment

Originally posted by Knothome4788 View Post
                          Do some research on planned changes in DirecTV sat signals. There was an article recently in one of the PacNW mags or one of the forums. Could obsolete a whole lot of gear. Doubt you’ll get much insight from the dealers.
                          https://www.panbo.com/directv-on-wat...-clear-as-mud/
                          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                          Anacortes, WA

Comment

When I bought Intellian i3 it was 25% cheaper than KVH. (perhaps a Korean/USA currency thing) Works well including beyond Desolation.

Comment

• sockeye
                              sockeye commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Uncle Bob
                              Ken said the price for i3 is $4050
                              the price for KVH 3 is $4400-$4500
                              KVH dekivered to Blaine Wa before border tax is $3080US$
                              you get a $250 rebate for KVH ,nothing back for i3
                          Working...
                          X