Alaska in water 45 ph winterization list-gctid420165

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaska in water 45 ph winterization list-gctid420165

Just updated my winterization list which I will begin to implement this Sunday. Thought there might be someone out there that might want to use it as a guide - every boat is outfitted a little differently and the weather is a little different in Whittier.

Darby

PRIVATE RESERVE

MOORAGE, STORAGE AND WINTERIZATION PROCEDURES

OCTOBER THROUGH APRIL (10/2/12)

FILL WITH FUEL

MOORAGE

BOAT BACKED IN

BOW, STERN, AND 2 SPRING LINES - SECURED

4 MOORING BUMPERS - SECURED

POWER CORD - CONNECTED AND ON

12 V DC ELECTRIC PANEL

MASTER SWITCH - ON

GALLEY LIGHTS SWITCH - ON

AFT DECK LIGHTS SWITCH - ON

PASSAGE HEAD LIGHT SWITCH - ON

PILOTHOUSE LIGHT SWITCH - ON

MASTER STATEROOM LIGHT SWITCH -ON

STATE ROOM LIGHT SWITCH - ON

SALON LIGHT SWITCH - ON

UP STAT. ELECTRIC SWITCH - ON

ALL OTHER SWITCHES - OFF

DESKTOP COMPUTER AND SCREEN - OFF AT DEVICES

ZANTREX METER (LOCATED STARBOARD OF 12V DC PANEL)

INVERTER GREEN LIGHT - OFF (THIS IF EXTREMELY IMPORTANT -

IF THIS IS LEFT ON, AND DOCKSIDE POWER FAILS, THE INVERTER

WOULD POWER THE ICE MAKER, FURNACE, RECEPTACLES

(DE-HUMIDIFIER AND ELECTRIC HEATERS) EVENTUALLY KILLING

THE 12 V BATTERIES AND THE ABILITY OF THE BILGE PUMPS TO DO

THERE JOB - AND POTENTIALLY KEEP THE BOAT FROM

SINKING!!!!!) ,

CHARGER GREEN LIGHT - ON

POWER SHARE - SET AT 30

115 V AC PANEL

DOCKSIDE POWER SWITCH - ON

MASTER SWITCHES 1, 2, AND 3 - ON

ICE MAKER SWITCH - ON (THIS SWITCH PROVIDES POWER TO THE ENGINE ROOM 110V EXTENSION CORD OUTLETS)

INVERTER/CHARGER SWITCH - ON

FURNACE SWITCH - ON

ALL 6 RECEPTACLE SWITCHES - ON

ALL OTHER SWITCHES - OFF

HOT WATER HEATER SWITCHES 1 AND 2, TAPED ÔÇô OFF AND NOT TO BE TURNED ON UNTIL WATER IS ADDED TO THE HOT WATER TANKS DURING DEWINTERIZING THE BOAT

ICE MAKER

ON/OFF SWITCH - OFF AT DEVICE

DE-HUMIDIFIER (1 IN THE SALON)

PLUGED IN AND ON

PORTABLE ELECTRIC/OIL HEATER

1 IN V BERTH - ON - MED

FURNACE

SWITCH IN V BERTH - ON

DIGITAL THERMOSTAT IN SALON - SET AT 48

BLACK FAN FURNACE HEATER SWITCHES (5) - SET LOW

BLACK FAN HEATER SWITCH IN PILOTHOUSE - OFF

DEFROSTER SWITCH IN PILOTHOUSE - OFF

REFRIGERATOR

EMPTIED/DEFROSTED WITH UNUSED GROUND COFFEE ON A PAPER PLATE AND PLACED IN THE FREEZER AND FRIDGE.

ON/OFF SWITCH - SET TO OFF

BERTH, HEAD AND SHOWER DOORS

OPEN

BRIDGE

SEATS COVERED WITH 2 PLASTIC GARBAGE SACKS AND THE INSTRUMENTS COVERED WITH DARK CUSTOM MADE CANVAS

ZODIAK SKIFF - STOWED ON BRIDGE, SECURED AND GAS CAN ENCLOSED IN TRASH SACK

LOUNGE CUSHION - STOWED IN BUNK BERTH

HALIBUT ROD/REELS REMOVED AND STOWED IN BUNK BERTH

GARBAGE CANS SECURED AND STOWED UPSIDE DOWN IF NOT "HOLED" FOR DRAINAGE

WHITE COOLER - CLEANED AND EMPTY

BOW

SEAT CUSHIONS - STOWED ON SHELF IN AMIDSHIP BERTH AND ON THE PORT SIDE OF THE BIRTH

ANCHOR WINCH - COVERED

WASH DOWN PUMP HOSE DISCONNECTED AND DRAINED (THIS HOSE IS LOCATED ON THE BACK WALL OF THE AFT HANGING CLOSET LOCATED IN THE AMIDSHIP BERTH

SALON

PORT AND STARBOARD WINDOWS COVERED WITH CANVAS OUTSIDE AND bUBBLE INSULATION INSIDE

PILOTHOUSE

WINDSHIELD COVERED WITH CANVAS OUTSIDE AND bUBBLE INSULATION INSIDE

ALL OTHER WINDOWS COVERED WITH BUBBLE INSULATION INSIDE

DOORS COVERED WITH BUBBLE INSULATION INSIDE

PILOTHOUSE SIDE WINDOWS - CURTAINS CLOSED

COCKPIT/LAZARETTES

DAVIT - REMOVED FROM BASE/HYDRAULIC LINES PLUGGED

CURTAINS/TARP - HUNG

AFT WASH DOWN PUMP - DRAINED AND THRU HULL CLOSED

ENGINE ROOM

EACH ENGINE ANTIFREEZE CLOSEDS COOLING SYSTEM SHOULD BE GOOD FOR -20 F

ENGINE SALTWATER INTAKE THRU HULL VALVES - CLOSED

PICKLE ENGINE SALT WATER COOLING SYSTEMS WITH 3 GALS OF -40F RV

ANTIFREEZE FOR EACH ENGINE

DRAIN MAIN 100 GAL (TANK 1) WATER STORAGE TANK

DRAIN SECONDARY 75 GAL (TANK 2) WATER STORAGE TANK ┬¥ AND ADD 3 GALS ÔÇô100F RV ANTI FREEZE. PUMP THIS TREATED WATER THROUGH SINK (3) AND SHOWER SYSTEMS (2) TILL PINK COMES OUTBOTH HOT AND COLD SPIGOTS.

DRAIN BOTH HOT WATER HEATERS AND MAKE SURE 115V POWER SWITCHES ARE OFF

INTALL PORTABLE ELECTRIC HEATER/SET ON MEDIUM

OTHER

FLUSH 1 GALLON RV ANTI FREEZE (-100) DOWN EACH TOILET

ENGINE INTAKE COVERS ÔÇô ON

GENERATOR

ENGINE ANTIFREEZE CLOSEDS COOLING SYSTEM SHOULD BE GOOD FOR -20 F

ENGINE SALTWATER INTAKE THRU HULL VALVE - CLOSED

PICKLE ENGINE SALT WATER COOLING SYSTEMS WITH 1 GALS OF -100F RV ANTIFREEZE

Very good Darby, Thanks!

Question.s...

Do you suck out the seawater from the sea strainers then pour in rv antifreeze to winterize the engines? Or does it take running the engine and pouring in rv antifreeze as the engine is running?

I'm planning on doing mine the weekend after next.

Thanks...Kevin

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Hino manuals say close water intake. Remove top of strainer, start engine and slowly pour 3 gallons in the strainer and shut off engine.

I suspect yours would be something like that.

On the genny I do the same except I pour antifreeze until a spotter sees it coming out the exhaust.

As my boat comes out of the water I have to open the intake to let out the water that remains in that short part of the system between the intake and the strainer. I think there is a plug on the valve that would drain it also.

Doug
      Started boating 1955
      Number of boats owned 32
      Bayliners
      3870 presently owned
      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I drain the strainer and remove the hose then use a funnel to pour antifreeze into while the engine runs, also use a spotter, strainer drain stays open.

I drain the engine salt water and use a hose to flush prior to the antifreeze.

I may have missed it, but battery charger should be on.

I also cap off my exhaust outlrt with a plumbers rubber cap, some boats are flush and cannot do this, we had a 50' boat a few years ago sink because the muffler froze and broke.

I also leave one window canvas off on the east side, sunlight stops mildew and warms the cabin up some.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Kevin:

dmcb does it the same way I do it. With 2 people - 1 person closes the sea cock, removes the sea strainer cap and then adds the antifreeze one gallon at a time (3 Gallons total) to the sea strainer while the second person starts/runs the engine until the first person says that he is done. I leave the sea cock to the sea strainer closed, recap the sea strainer (its full of RV antifreeze) and put tape over the ignition keys with a note that says DO NOT START ENGINES UNTIL SEA COCKS ARE OPEN. I put the same tape/note on the generator start switch.

My exhausts are above the water level so I have not capped them thus far. I am going to give this some thought though, as a friend of mine had a mink or crawl up his exhaust and make a home in the muffler for the winter. Not a good deal and created some real problems when the engines were started in the early spring.

Darby

Darby

Comment

rrdarby wrote:
            Kevin:

dmcb does it the same way I do it. With 2 people - 1 person closes the sea cock, removes the sea strainer cap and then adds the antifreeze one gallon at a time (3 Gallons total) to the sea strainer while the second person starts/runs the engine until the first person says that he is done. I leave the sea cock to the sea strainer closed, recap the sea strainer (its full of RV antifreeze) and put tape over the ignition keys with a note that says DO NOT START ENGINES UNTIL SEA COCKS ARE OPEN. I put the same tape/note on the generator start switch.

My exhausts are above the water level so I have not capped them thus far. I am going to give this some thought though, as a friend of mine had a mink or crawl up his exhaust and make a home in the muffler for the winter. Not a good deal and created some real problems when the engines were started in the early spring.

Darby

Darby
            Do toy flush the engine with freah water prior to the antifreez?

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl:

Have not flushed the engines with fresh water to date but it is a good idea. The dock water in Whittier, is usually turned off by the time I winterize so there is no fresh water available to do such. Maybe I can do it with some of the fresh water I will be draining from the domestic system.

Darby

Comment

I learned the hard way in Seldovia last week of pouring antifrezz in the water strainer. Heres the deal, it will only suck out the top 2-3 in of fluid. and it does it fast when running.so as it is running keep pouring the antifrezz in or you will fry a impellarops it really does take two people. http://www.seldovia.com/webcam/harborcam1.jpg
                1988 3270
                135 hinos
                Seldovia ALASKA
                KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
                KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
                Marine canvas/Upholstery
                since 1975

Comment

alaskakev wrote:
                  I learned the hard way in Seldovia last week of pouring antifrezz in the water strainer. Heres the deal, it will only suck out the top 2-3 in of fluid. and it does it fast when running.so as it is running keep pouring the antifrezz in or you will fry a impellarops it really does take two people. http://www.seldovia.com/webcam/harborcam1.jpg
                  I always shut off the seacock, then use a hose in the strainer run the engines with a hose for water supply, then I disconnect the hose between the strainer and the engine, place a fullel in the hose to the engine and with 2 persons-one at tne helm and one to pour antifreeze into the funnel, it takes a third the first time at the exhaust to check for antifreeze. Why pour antifreeze into the strainer and fill it up, just leave it empty, leave the drain plug out.

I usually remove the muffler drain screw as I cap off my exhaust outside of the hull. There are plumbers internal plugs that tighten to seal the plug from the outside if necessary.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I drilled a hole in the top of each sea strainer and had a brass hose fitting welded to it so when winterizing I put three gallons of the pink stuff in a 5-gallon bucket sitting next to the strainer. Remove the cap from the hose fitting then attach one end of a short length of garden hose to the hose fitting on the sea strainer and the other end goes in the bucket. The Admiral will start the engine (seacocks closed) and the pink stuff gets sucked into the engine, when the bucket is just about empty I have her shut the engine down. It takes maybe two minutes per. Three gallons is about what it takes to fully flush to the point of it coming out the exhaust.

Separately, I had not thought of setting the breaker coming FROM the inverter of to ensure it doesn't drain batteries should shore power go out.

Paul
                    US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
                    MMSI: 338181912

Comment

I have a mental list that I do each time I wintrize, but what a great idea to actually put your list to paper...you’ve inspired me...

That’s a great list...

Happy New Year,
                      BJ
                      OMEGA
                      BJ
                      OMEGA

Comment

Working...
                      X