Pilot House Helm removal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot House Helm removal???

Hey all, the Hynautic steering on our 4788has been leaking...I have a rebuilt one but am trying to figure out how to get the old one out...I KNOW one of you has done it....HELP!!
    We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

I’ve done the flybridge so the pilothouse should be similar. Release the air pressure from the steering fluid cylinder in the lasserette, undo the valve.. Remove the helm steering wheel, you may need a puller to help. Get into the area behind the dash, via the roof hatch panel in/near the master stateroom door, then label the lines and unscrew the nipple nuts and remove the oil lines. Have rags handy to catch any leaking oil that will dribble out. Have someone in the pilothouse unscrew the holding screws and you’ll be able to pull the helm cylinder as it falls back. .

Google the helm air bleeding process as you’ll need to bleed the system on refitting the new cylinder.

Cheers
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Thanks John....I've done the Flybridge before as well....the Pilothouse access is what I was looking for. I found a thread that mentioned going through the port in the master berth with a tall ladder. I looked at that but with the Aircon unit sitting in the way, that appears impossible. I've gone ahead and tore up the dash and have been able to twist and turn in the dash hole on stbd, which required me to remove that electonics screen and the connectors behind it. For those of us with Aircon, that appears to be the only way to get at it. If anyone has any other ideas I am open to them. It appears I will have to pull that helm pump tomorrow as I have a "locked over" help that wont budge from STBD. Thanks Again!

Comment

The locatiion of my Ac unit is over more towards the port side, so I can get up in there, above the breezeway, cramped for sure but doable. My access panel is directly above the breezeway corridor. My master door has been moved back to the small step as the bunkroom pillar has been removed. That gives access in that area off a 5’ stepladder. Not sure if you’re going thru the same access panel when you said “port” in the master berth. Certainly taking the center instrument panel out is one way, but a pain with all the instruments/wires. I don’t have a good pic of the cavity.

Cheers
        John H
        Brisbane QLD Aust
        "Harbor-nating"

Comment

LOL! Yeah my AC is smack dab in the middle....the "hatch" I mentioned is the access panel you refer to....same place and our door and bunkroom pillar have been altered as well. thanks for the comeback!

Kevin

Comment

Kevin, if you haven’t already thought of relocating the AC unit to the port side, it would be a good idea for access. Others have used the area for storage. Mine is a spaghetti maze of wires that I should make tidy sometime.

Cheers
            John H
            Brisbane QLD Aust
            "Harbor-nating"

Comment

John....after doing this job I have thought about it....but also, the chance of me doing this again for the next 15-20 years is low. Plus I am sitting in the mid stages of Hurricane season in Biloxi MS....I really want to get that steering back and operational. Currently having some challenges purging the system....it is a long process, apparently. Thanks Again!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
              X