Bilge Blower Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilge Blower Issue

When I went to the boat on Saturday I turned on the 12v main breaker so I could switch on the forward and aft bilge pumps. The blowers immediately went on including the indicator light. When I flipped the blower switch the blowers sped up. So basically the blower was running whenever the 12v main breaker was on regardless of the blower switch position. I lifted the panel and disconnected the switch and the blower would still run if the main breaker was on. This problem popped up overnight and there has been absolutely no work done on the electrical system in the recent past. A couple of friends mentioned something about feedback but I am not well versed on electrical systems. Since the blower is never used they (are there 1 or 2 blowers) I'm thinking of just snipping the connection at the unit. Wise or not wise? By the way, we have Hino diesels hence the lack of need for the blowers. One guy I talked to said he only used his blowers to cool down the engine room after running. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Happy
    1986 3870
    EH700 Hinos
    Steve
    Brownstown Twp, Michigan
    Happy

Don't snip the wires. Somehow the off/on switch is shorting. Start by replacing it.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

When I disconnected the switch totally the blower would still run if the main 12v breaker was in the on position. I would think that would eliminate the switch as the problem since it was totally disconnected. But as I mentioned, electrical is not my strong suit.
      Happy

Comment

That means the switch has been bypassed. You have to trace the wire or, perhaps easier, run a new wire from the buss to the switch and then to the blower. You might want to find a dock buddy to help you trouble shoot. It will be something simple.
        1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

If you measure for 12V at the blower it will be present. You need to isolate were a short exists that is applying power bypassing the switch. BTY do you have two helms and two sets of switches? If so is the other switch on?
          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Mike makes a valid point. The upper helm switch may be the issue. For testing, disconnect that one also.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Perhaps the upper helm switch got bumped. A common problem for me on the 4788 is accidentally bumping into and turning on various upper helm switches
              Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

To avoid upper helm switches being bumped, I lay a small dowel across all the switches, and leave it there.
                1997 4788 with Cummins 5.9 (315 hp)
                12 ft Rendova with 40 hp Merc 4 cycle
                Pacific NW

Comment

• stargazerwa
                  stargazerwa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great idea! What diameter dowel should I buy?

I will check the upper helm switch, hopefully that's the problem. As always go for the simplest fix first. Thanks guys for suggestion. I'll post back after checking the upper helm.
                Happy

Comment

Feeling pretty stupid about this one, sure enough the upper helm switch was on. Pretty certain I will be checking for things like that in the future. Again thanks for keeping me from over thinking the problem.
                  Happy

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
                    Nauti_Mike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LoL be Happy that's all it was.

• builderdude
                    builderdude commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Stinkin upper helm stations🤣

Stargazer,
                  I use a 1/4” diameter of scrap wire I had. It’s bright green so easy to see when it’s in place or not. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	530765
                  2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                  12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                  MV Kia Orana
                  Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Working...
                  X