3288 Hino flex plate rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3288 Hino flex plate rattle

We're in the process of purchasing a 1994 3288 with 150 Hino's and Hurth transmissions. During the survey while at idle and in gear the flex plates rattled.....alot. The Surveyor didn't seem to concerned he said they sound a little louder than other boats. I realize they will make noise but what is to much noise?

Mine sounds a lott, ghot the same setupp. It is normal, lisen in my videos. I have mine boat in 12 years and it allways soud like thet.
    www.youtube.com/c/MyboatandMylife
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCqjF-BlXT8PajKWGmDYJNVw

Comment

Hurth transmissions are “loose” as part of the design philosophy. It’s more pronounced when coupled to an engine “lopes”, a slightly unsteady idle.
      Heres an interesting read:

Indmar Products
      5400 Old Millington Rd. Millington, TN Phone 800-238-7112 Fax 800-622-7278
      SERVICE ADVISORY
      Date: 11/21/01
      Advisory #SV2001-2
      SUBJECT: Gear Rattle – Hurth Reduction Gear Transmissions
      We have received a number of complaints regarding rattling or noisy ZF/Hurth reduction gears (V-drive or in-line). The noise is most pronounced at idle RPM and typically goes away when the engine RPM is raised above idle. Although the noise can be irritating, this is a normal condition with these transmissions that in no way affects the durability or reliability of the unit.
      In an effort to reduce the gear rattle noise at low RPM; the transmission manufacturer has suggested that we change from the current Dexron 3 transmission fluid that we use in the transmission to 15W40 motor oil. This is the same oil that we recommend for use in the engine and its higher viscosity helps “dampen” the contact of the gears and reduces the noise significantly.
      Indmar has started using 15W40 Pennzoil Marine Motor Oil in all reduction gears starting with engine IC985313. Those units will be identified with a Pennzoil 15W40 Marine Oil sticker on the transmission in place of the ATF sticker that was previously attached.
      We suggest that if you have a customer complaint of a noisy or rattling reduction gear that you replace the transmission fluid with 15W40 motor oil at the next scheduled service. Our current recommended maintenance schedule calls for changing the transmission oil at the first service (10-20 hours) and then annually or every 300 hours, whichever comes first.
      Since the transmission has no drain plug, it is necessary to suck the fluid out of the transmission through the opening in the bottom of the filter cavity. Use a suitable oil removal pump with a pick- up long enough to get to the bottom of the transmission housing. You might also want to remove the coolant lines and let the cooler and hoses drain into a suitable container to make sure as much of the fluid as possible is removed from the transmission. It is not necessary to flush the transmission, just get as much of the old fluid out as possible.
      Reconnect the cooling lines and fill the transmission with 15W40 motor oil. The level of the oil should be between the “max” and “min” marks on the dipstick. The following chart gives you the approximate capacities of the various reduction gears.
      Model Capacity
      450A 2.12 qt (2L) 630A 4.2 qt (4L) 630V 4.2 qt (4L)
      SV2001-2
      11/21/01

I changed my 630a’s to Delo 400, 15W40, the same as what I have in my engines. The change reduced the rattle a bit, but I decided to change the flex/damper plates anyway. I found that I have a twin disk type that only needed to have 12 rubber tips. I didn’t need to remove the rear engine mounts. Just back off the transmission enough to change the tips.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Excellent info. Thank you!!

Comment

This is interesting about using engine oil instead of ATF. I just changed filters and added AMZOIL which is supposed to last years. We'll see. If I do change I will go to engine oil as recommended. I too am investigating replacinging the dmapener plates though. I want to reduce as much noise at idel as I can.

Paul
          US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
          MMSI: 338181912

Comment

These are what I have:
            https://www.suredrivemarine.com/suredrive
            expensive to buy but cheap to maintain
            P/C Pete
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

I don't think I've seen sure drive before. May I ask what it cost you?

Paul

Comment

They were on the boat when I bought it. Call Mike at Harbor Marine in Everett, WA. He can give you the straight word. But I think he said nearing a boat unit.
                P/C Pete
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

Ok, I'll give him a call. I spoke with him about the centra-flex a while back. $500 for two. I'd be interested in how the two compare to justify the more than doubled price.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Ch308 View Post
                    We're in the process of purchasing a 1994 3288 with 150 Hino's and Hurth transmissions. During the survey while at idle and in gear the flex plates rattled.....a lot. The Surveyor didn't seem to concerned he said they sound a little louder than other boats. I realize they will make noise but what is to much noise?
                    While the flex plates may be some of the noise, the majority of the noise is the transmissions - and it's normal. A while back I switched from Hurth 360's and stock drive plates to ZF 63's and R and D drive plates. As the R and D plates are polymer, spring noise is impossible - but I've still got the biggest bucket of marbles known to man back there when at idle and in gear.

Grin and bear it - it's the nature of the beast...

Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
                    Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
                    Vice Commodore BYC

Comment

Well, here’s what my starboard engine:

This is the engine side
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	0CA829FB-8F3D-48BC-9CAB-C25CD80123F0.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	805.7 KB
ID:	530311

This is the transmission half. It connects using a collet try clamp so the only slack in the system is at the rubber tips.

Name:	02793B10-5E57-4EC2-BA60-B41B25E0FAED.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	530312
                      You can see that the disks are robust as all he>>. When you consider where the loads from the engine loping and the the force of pushing the power through, it’s easy to understand the underside the cost.
                      What I really like is for my EH700’s, I can just pull the transmission out of the bellhousing and on to some cribbing, replace the rubber tips, reattach the transmission to the engine and reconnect the prop shaft. The alignment was not affected.
                      P/C Pete
                      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Originally posted by Nikko View Post

While the flex plates may be some of the noise, the majority of the noise is the transmissions - and it's normal. A while back I switched from Hurth 360's and stock drive plates to ZF 63's and R and D drive plates. As the R and D plates are polymer, spring noise is impossible - but I've still got the biggest bucket of marbles known to man back there when at idle and in gear.

Grin and bear it - it's the nature of the beast...
                        I would argue that if your transmission is making noise like a bag of marbles there is something wrong with your transmission. The stock dampener plate has little springs that rattle around when not under tension. That is the noise everyone is talking about and it's not nature of the beast its the result of using a cheap part with metal springs rattling around.

I've read on here before that the stock plate is also made of plastic. If that is actually true then that's all the more reason to upgrade. That plastic has to be getting hard and brittle with the age of these boats.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by O1dSoldier View Post

I would argue that if your transmission is making noise like a bag of marbles there is something wrong with your transmission. The stock dampener plate has little springs that rattle around when not under tension. That is the noise everyone is talking about and it's not nature of the beast its the result of using a cheap part with metal springs rattling around.

I've read on here before that the stock plate is also made of plastic. If that is actually true then that's all the more reason to upgrade. That plastic has to be getting hard and brittle with the age of these boats.
                          Please re-read what wrote - transmissions are (were) new - brand new, ordered by me, installed by local ZF dealer. and they've (both) made the same noise since day 1. Other 3288's that I boat with that have the same gears, sound the same - it's normal for Hurth 630/ZF63's.

As for driveplates - you're almost right. Stock driveplates DO have springs in them (see image below - screen shot from parts book) , but when new, they don't rattle around and they're not made of plastic. Over time the springs are worked and lose their ability to resist compression - in other words, they "stay compressed" - THEN they rattle. I'm not sure what "cheap part" you're referring to. Regarding my driveplates, believe me, they weren't cheap! , I bought them, I installed them. R and D drivepates do not have springs, they use a polymer to absorb he shock instead so no noise is possible (more info here: http://www.randdmarine.com/downloads/RandD_Damper.pdf) .

Trust this helps.

Name:	150_drive_plate.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	530526
                          Attached Files
                          Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
                          Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
                          Vice Commodore BYC

Comment

The cheap drive plate I am referring to is the stock ones that Bayliner used. As for the transmission making all that noise, well I guess I'm the lucky one who got one that besides the rattle of the springs in the drive plate makes little noise at all.

Paul

Comment

I have a 1991 3288 with Hino 150's and Hurth 630A transmissions. One transmission is relatively quiet while at low RPMs and lightly maneuvering in and out of the slip in both forward and reverse. The other transmission is rather noisy under these same conditions with somewhat of a 'lopping' or rhythmic sound. There is approximately 1,500 hours on these units. Can someone advise me as to what is involved in trying to fix this noise? From what I've read it seems that this noise is most likely related to the drive plates... or is it the flex plates... are they one and the same thing (?). There is zero support at my marina so I would probably have to examine and address this issue myself. I am not exactly sure about what I would be getting myself into with replacing drive plates or flex plates if in fact this is what's needed. Can this be done with the boat in the water? I am a pretty good mechanic and can usually get to the bottom of just about anything but this would be a new one for me. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
                              1991 3288 Hino 150HP

Comment

Working...
                              X