Mildew or Mold on Dinghy Rubrail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mildew or Mold on Dinghy Rubrail

We have an Apex 13.5 Hypalon Tender on which either mildew or mold stains have appeared on the rubber (or possibly vinyl) rubrails. The tubes have no staining whatsoever, but the rub rails look terrible.
    We have tried all of the usual domestic mold and mildew removers without success, we have tried bleach, barkeepers, and even lacquer-thinners to no avail.
    I’m sure we are not the only ones that this has happened to, and there’s almost no doubt that there are answers out there.
    We do have a Sunbrella cover for the tender, but we rarely need to use it as the boat and tender are kept in a boathouse when not in use. This problem seems to be getting worse as the summer progresses - we‘re in Desolation right now, and the mildew/mold look as bad as ever.
    Any ideas or suggestions of how to deal with this issue?
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

Contact the boat manufacturer???
    Future 4788 Owner
    Charleston, S.C.

Comment

Try acetone

Comment

Just saw video that used straight bleach.
        Also, i have used lacquer thinner for those impossible black marks
        Ron O'Blenis
        B 38 175 Hinos 1989
        Completed Great Loop
        https://ronandfaye.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think the suggestion to contact the dinghy manufacturer is the best solution. You don't want to have sparkling rub rails if the chemical you've used compromises the inflatable hull material and it just might. I've seen the orange scrub compounds used for hand cleaning used very effectively to clean inflatables to as new condition. I don't know just what sort of damage this can do to the hypalon or PVC materials that are used on these boats. Again ask the manufacturer they will know.

RB Cooper

Comment

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers??

Comment

Working...
            X