No announcement yet.

4788 Holding Tank Replacement. Need Drawing Cruise of a Lifetime in Jeopardy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Holding Tank Replacement. Need Drawing Cruise of a Lifetime in Jeopardy

I am having the cruise of a lifetime on America’s Great Loop. My Black water holding tank is having the same issues as others. leaks. I need a quick replacement tank or the First Mate may jump ship. We are only halfway through the loop in amazing Lake Huron Ontario. Can anyone help with a source for the tank or a drawing so I can get it made in advance and shipped to me? My Loop Adventure may be over.

M/V Aquaman

I know nothing about your tank but there is an alternative. I am not sure if the loop is, or has no discharge zones on it. If there are none then you should consider the Purasan EX treatment system which is Coast Guard approved for overboard discharge except for in NDZ. If there are NDZ here and there then consider the Purasan hold'n treat system which adds a holding tank to the solution that is smaller than your current tank. I have the Purasan EX and love it. I haven't been to a pump out in 15 months.
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian
    1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

You can also buy a Raritasn HOLD N TREAT system off the shelf. It has a 15 gallon holding tank and your choice of a purasan, or electroscan treatment system.

I Know it fits, because I have one installed in the forward starboard side of my engine room outboard of the engine.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

The forum has been useful to learn how to remove the tank but I can’t find anything about sourcing a new one. The Raritan system wont work for our future cruising. Inter-Coastal Waterway and Florida keys.

Comment

Cut it open, clean it out and coat the interior with aviation fuel tank coating...

https://www.amazon.com/KBS-Coatings-...19166634&psc=1
          Irony
          1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
          Portsmouth, NH

Comment

Where am I going to find info on this holding tank if not here? Getting Desperate! I can’t afford the time to pull it out then order it.

Comment

https://www.tanksforless.com/c/274/r...ncession-tanks.

Measure existing and find something close and move on.
              1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
              1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
              Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Charisma,
                There are a few tank manufacturers out there. Google is your friend. You should be able to run a tape to get the existing dimensions. I have thought about increasing the holding tank capacity. Getting the tank into the space is the main issue. Without removing the engine or cutting a hole in the hull, you have two choices. Around the front of the engine or remove the S exhaust and muffler. Those access dimensions are going to be your keys. Possibly you can sister several tanks together to make it work. I would talk to the tank manufacturers. They have likely solved this problem before. Please let us know what you end up doing.
                2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                MV Kia Orana
                Currently Alameda CA

Comment

For a quick fix there is a lot of amazing underwater epoxy available.these days. You should be able to pump out the tank. Lift it up a bit if there are leaks underneath, clean the area properly, apply the patch and away you go. I'm sure there will be lots of info on Google and Youtube.
                  2001 Bayliner 4788
                  Underhulls
                  Bow & Stern Thrusters
                  330 Cummins
                  Langley British Columbia

Comment

Polyethylene is a PITA to get adhesion to. If you want to try and fix the existing plastic welding is the best way to go. Flame treatment can get you a surface that will be able to be glued with the right stuff but I wouldn't count on it.

for the efforts to repair a leak anywhere other than the top of the tank just replace it.
                    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
                      Charisma,
                      There are a few tank manufacturers out there. Google is your friend. You should be able to run a tape to get the existing dimensions. I have thought about increasing the holding tank capacity. Getting the tank into the space is the main issue. Without removing the engine or cutting a hole in the hull, you have two choices. Around the front of the engine or remove the S exhaust and muffler. Those access dimensions are going to be your keys. Possibly you can sister several tanks together to make it work. I would talk to the tank manufacturers. They have likely solved this problem before. Please let us know what you end up doing.
                      You are correct. The access issue is much more important in replacing the tank than the size of the original tank.

KEVIN SANDERS
                      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                      where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

For temporary use wouldn't a collapsible bladder type tank work? Excrement can be very corrosive so the type of material would be critical. You could fashion a simple five sided containment barrier out of PVC foam board and place the bladder in that. Just another idea that might work to get you to completing the loop.

RB Cooper

Comment

Where is the leak? Agree with comments on gluing not perfect but it can be done. I did in my 38 but the holes were on the top of the tank with relatively good access. Used West G Flex designed for plastic and did the flame treating.

The other thing is I guess i am surprised that you can't get the measurements from the in place tank - including the size and location of fittings. You can then research the tank manufacturers and find a size that will work and they will install the fitting per your measurements. You can ship ahead to location that you can do install.
                          Ron O'Blenis
                          B 38 175 Hinos 1989
                          Completed Great Loop
                          https://ronandfaye.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Great Lakes are all NDZ so the hold and treat systems won’t work. Perhaps temporarily installing a composting toilet would be an easier solution to allow you to complete the loop?

James
                            1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                            Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                            Lowrance Electronics!
                            MMSI
                            VHF
                            CFA 2587
                            Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                            Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                            AGLCA #8340

Comment

I have had the “honor” of replacing my holding tank once an once again pulling it for a seam patch. The work was done by a boatyard but access to the tank for removal was a hassle. There is a link to the process at the website. On the 4588 it involved cutting out the vanity.
                              You should consider disassembly of the interior of the vanity shelving and monkey fur interior walls. These will give you greater access to the tank to validate the leak source. You may be able flush and rinse sufficiently to patch or be surprised that it is a blown hose, connector, or a blocked vent.

On the 4588 the effluent leaking from wherever puddles under the guest shower and is accessed by removal of the useless central vacuum.

Comment

• Kwood
                                Kwood commented
                                Editing a comment
                                He's got a 4788. Different animal.
                            Working...
                            X