Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone spruced up their interiors with paint? Specifically looking at the Galley...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone spruced up their interiors with paint? Specifically looking at the Galley...

I'll try and get a good picture of my galley tonight. Pink counter tops, dark teak wood, black frames, black fridge, brown stove top, stained and peeling teak and holley floor. It's dark, dingy, pink, old and outdated looking to me. I don't care for it. I installed nice new LED lights and while brighter, it's still grungy down there. I want to do the entire interior eventually, but focusing on the galley right now. I've been going back and forth with a traditional Herreshoff style interior or going full modern. Both of which I like. Or a combination? I was thinking something along the lines of gray cabinets white leaving the teak trim natural, a light wood floor, epoxy paint the counter top to look like light granite, and then white from there up? I'm not an interior designer by no means though, lol. Finally, I'm debating on losing the stove for a cooktop and cabinet space.

If anyone has done such a renovation, I'd love to see pictures!

Examples attached.
    Attached Files
    . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

I used Rust Oleum counter paint for the pink and it worked great...I posted some pictures a while back. Also their "Topside" paint works great almost anywhere but must use the primer.
    I am thinking about painting all the Teak in my cockpit. Wood, while pleasing to the eye simply does not look modern.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...topside-paint/

Comment

I like the Rustoleum! If the pictures were posted before the server change, they are probably gone. I had a lot of nice completed projects documented and they are lost to the ether.

This is Behr Ultra Magnum Super Premium whatever exterior primer. Used it on my sailboat, love the stuff. I like the improvement in the galley already! Need to figure out how to get the panels around the stove off and I might go ahead and prep and prime the back wall. Looks like I might be forging new ground here, lol.

Before picture (kind of a crappy one) and current pics.
      Attached Files
      . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

You can also paint the ceiling,we painted ours the Hippo hide as it was called at Bayliner,it accepts paint well.
        Brad & Sharon
        Lady Jake
        1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
        LaConner,Wa. (summer)
        2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
        kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

I used self adhesive tiles to spruce up my galley. These are Tic Tac Tiles. Virtually no weight and changes the look dramatically.
          James
          Kai Nani, Redondo Beach, CA
          1989 MY 3288
          Hino 150hp with Hurth 630A Trannies

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
            Nauti_Mike commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s some serious knives.

• Renegade
            Renegade commented
            Editing a comment
            That came out really nice!

I like the stick on tile!

SO I'm heading to bed, but not before I tidy up priming the fridge wall. I also picked up some paint swatches...
          Attached Files

Comment

Thought I would share an update. Counter top teak trim has been prepped and 2 coats of polyurethane. Doors have a coat of paint as does the back wall. I need to pull the stove to get the inset pieces from either side of it off. I'm not sure if I want to clean and fix it up for installation or replace it with a cooktop and storage. The counter top is going to get either a sandy or white granite paint job. Monkey fur will come off and get replaced with painted bead board when I replace the busted sliding window. Will be yet another ongoing project because it has so many cans worms to be opened along the way....
            Attached Files

Comment

Who in their right mind would paint over teak? Teak is warm, lovely and very expensive. That's why only the real high end boats still use teak. I love mine and would never cover it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Vintage View Post
                Who in their right mind would paint over teak? Teak is warm, lovely and very expensive. That's why only the real high end boats still use teak. I love mine and would never cover it up.
                Apparently this guy -> "Cool Beans" <-

Timber trim I'm keeping natural. Veneer plywood, it's to be determined as I see fit. I restored all the teak in my old sailboat. Lovely as it was, it was depressingly dark to live in. I painted the bulkheads white and it made a huge difference. I thought about just doing white with teak trim again but thought I might mix and match some colors...

Turns out I'm bad at color stuff so I might strip and just paint it white

Comment

As an amateur woodworker I cringe at the thought of painting over teak or any other of the "good" woods but I agree all the teak in these old boats makes it look dark and dated. My boat is a resurrection in progress and as I near a point where I can look to the cosmetic stuff, every inch of teak inside my boat needs to be deep cleaned and some sort of finish put on it. As I think about doing that I am also thinking about adding some paint. It'll be less work, much easier to maintain and will make it look much less dated.

Paul
                  US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
                  MMSI: 338181912

Comment

I did a little makeover in Midnight Sun about a month ago. Although it is cherry wood, my wife wanted a more modern look so I wrapped some doors and drawers and the fridge in black. The nice thing about wrap is it can be removed rather easily with no damage to the wood however I really like the new look.

Cheers, Hans
                    2007 Carver 41 CMY
                    Twin Volvo D6-370
                    Montreal, Canada
                    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

That is definitely modern and clean looking. Hans, are you saying you entirely wrapped your cabinets using a cherry wood wrap for everything except the doors which are black? Or you only wrapped the doors and what we see is the original look of the cabinets?
                      Tony Bacon,
                      Washougal, WA
                      Caspian
                      1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

Wood is original, under the black wrap is the same wood you see elsewhere. I also removed all the boring cabinet/door pulls and replaced with small stainless steel cleats.
                        Cheers, Hans
                        2007 Carver 41 CMY
                        Twin Volvo D6-370
                        Montreal, Canada
                        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Hang on gang. Before you start slapping a coat of cheap paint over very expensive wood, check this out.

I don't care what your so called Admirals say ( I would never disrespect my wife using that term), but they are all wrong.

The only reason some of the boats have gone to white cabinets or on higher end boats, cherry wood, is because teak is so damn expensive.

I just ordered a teak plaque, 25" x 6" x 1" and it cost me over $250.00.

Painting teak is like spray bombing diamonds with Tremclad.

Teak and any unfinished wood gets dirty from grease from our hands and air born particles.

Before you break out the brushes, give this a try.

Clean your dirty teak with Murphy's Oil Soap.

When it's dry, apply Howard's Feed and Wax. Both products are available on Amazon.

I do this once a year and our teak is bold and awesome. Plus it smells fantastic!!

Trends come and go. I left our kitchen cabinets alone when we bought the house 35 years age. Guess what, they are back in style again.

Last time I was at Costo, a young couple were groovin' on the shag area carpets. I remember raking them back in the 70's and pulling them out for Berber in the 80's.

Sorry about the Admiral reference, but my wife hates it. She finds it very offensive and so do I.

JV and KT equal partners in life👫

Comment

• rbcooper
                            rbcooper commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Johnny,

My wife also finds the "Admiral" monicor offensive. She insists that she's beyond the Admiral and instead the "Owner". This implies she has a much greater say on what gets changed or altered on the boat AND she doesn't have to participate in the operation of the boat, only enjoy the experience :-)

RB Cooper

Right on rb. I'm retired but my wife is still working and brings in a lot more money than I do. We have always considered ourselves equals. Like you said, we are owners and don't need to be labelled with a military rank.

We are pleasure boaters and we are not in the Navy. This is one of the reasons we quit the Power Squadron after just a few months. When they told us if I went overboard, it was a Mayday, if my wife goes over, it's a Pan Pan.

Bye Bye Squadron

My wife can do anything on our boat I can and she also taught a Coast Guard course for 10 years to get you your operators license.

It's 2019, get with it!!!

JV

Comment

Working...
                          X