Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone spruced up their interiors with paint? Specifically looking at the Galley...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnny_Vintage in general I agree that one should think long and hard before painting over good (expensive) wood. As I stated earlier. While not irreversible, it will take a lot of work to remove the paint and get back to the natural wood finish. The fact that teak plywood was used predominantly can add to the complexities of it because there is little room for (sanding) error. I've already begun painting the inside of the lockers and cabinets. I find it brightens up the inside, helps eliminate dust accumulation and mildew growth, etc. Spending hours cleaning the insides of the cabinetry isn't something I am interested or willing to do when it isn't necessary and natural wood on the insides doesn't add to the charm. :-)

I'm not sure I would agree that the reason they have stopped using teak in favor of something else is due to expense. While it may be a contributing factor I would argue that the reasons are more likely that many people don't want to spend the time to clean and maintain the teak, I think many lack the time/patience/skill to care and/or finish the teak properly in the first place, or any other wood for that matter, and modern materials have replaced the need for a wood that is moisture and rot resistant.

I am refinishing the teak on the outside of the boat but have no desire what so ever to invest the time cleaning and maintaining all the teak on the inside. While you only have to oil yours once a year, to do a good thorough job I imagine it takes the better part of day but more importantly eventually all that oil residue needs to be removed which is a much larger project. We could put a poly or varnish finish on the wood which would reduce the maintenance costs but it doesn't solve the initial problem - making the space less dark and provide a more modern look.

MidnightSun I am interested in learning about the wrap material. Is it something you pruchased and instlled yourself or did you take the doors somewhere and have it done?

Paul
    US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
    MMSI: 338181912

Comment

The wrap I purchased locally and installed it myself. Rather easy, like sticky paper. This is where I got it. https://wrapmykitchen.com

Pretty durable stuff, saw them wrap a white hull of a 44' Meridian to black 2 years ago, still looks great.
      Cheers, Hans
      2007 Carver 41 CMY
      Twin Volvo D6-370
      Montreal, Canada
      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

to the original poster,

I've looked at a lot of boats from classic Chris Crafts through Bayliners, Carvers, American Tugs, Cutwaters, Ranger Tugs, Tolleys and Uniflites to custom built wooden boats. I personally like the look of teak or wood around in the galley, salon and other cabin spaces. In looking at your pictures I think you would be far ahead of the game if you replaced the "pink counter top" and the "monkey fur" surround. Much like one of the posters indicated in his photos. Fortunately for me I have white counter tops so that has not been a major concern but the teak fiddles along the edges are both practical and attractive. Also those cabinet and drawer pulls just scream 80's :-)

Just one old salts opinions,

RB Cooper

Comment

Johnny Vintage,

Even though I grew up in a military family I also disliked all of the ranks, uniforms and other rigamarole and what not associated with the old power squadron. I've been a member for 12 years or so and the new squadron now rebranding itself as "Americas Boating Club" has dispensed with all of that. I personally teach many classes and am very sensitive to the fact that we are careful we completely engage and involve all baters as equals. I've taught classes where the skipper is the the wife and the deck hand is the husband. No matter, any one overboard is a MOB situation and results in a mayday call if his or her life is in jeopardy. I don't have a whole lot of connection with the Canadian Power Squadrons but it might be worth while to contact them again. I'm sure they could use the valuable experience of both you and your wife in teaching.

RB Cooper

Comment

Hi RB,

Way to clicky for us. Plus, I can make my old devilled eggs.

JV

Comment

• rbcooper
              rbcooper commented
              Editing a comment
              JV,

I get it. My wife and I are not really into all of the other activities but I find that contributing by teaching others about proper boating I "pay it forward" so to speak and also feel I'm helping others who operate in my same waters to be better and safer boaters. Really a "win win" situation. With your's and your wife's experience you could do much the same and still make your old deviled eggs :-)

RB
          Working...
          X