4788 50amp connection challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 50amp connection challenge

I finally purchased a 50/250 to 50/125 converter plug. Plugged in the cord/adapter combo at Ganges on Saltspring Island in the Canadian Gulf Islands. I had power showing on the main volt meter. However, no matter what combo of paralleling switched I tried I could not get power to the AC breakers - zero amps showing, no power inside the boat.

I used 30 amp and subsequently forgot to dig out the owners manual. I’m usually pretty handy figuring out this sort of thing - but without me opening up the power panel to see what a previous owner might have done - does anyone have a suggestion about what I might have missed?
    Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
    Sammamish WA
    1998 4788 (April 2018)
    ”Knot Home”

Hmmm... Not a lot to go on here.

Do yuo have 30 or 50 amp inlets on your boat?

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Unless you left the main breakers in the Generator position, I can’t imagine what could be wrong. I assume your talking about the Y adapter that gives you 2 30 amp feeds from one 50 amp dock connection. You should have been able to hook a single 30 amp cord to either output and connect to line 1 with 2 and 3 in parallel. These Y fittings are handy in the winter when you connect two 30 amp cords. You can hen unparallel line 3 and hook a cord to 1 and 3 providing separate power to your electric heaters.
      Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

Confused about what this means.

50/250 to 50/125 converter plug

Something like this ?

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-Marin.../dp/B001Q8MIXC

Comment

Did you have power function properly with any 125/50 connection prior to using this adapter?
        Irony
        1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
        Portsmouth, NH

Comment

I believe the adapter he mentions is this:
          Amazon.com : Marinco 118A Marine Electrical Shore Power Pigtail Adapter (50-Amp 125-Volt Locking Male to 50-Amp 125/250-Volt Locking Female with Sealing Collar System, Yellow) : Boating Shore Power Adapters : Sports & Outdoors
          Mike
          "Allante I" Rayburn 75
          Previous: '97 4788

Comment

Ok,

Lets assume the boat end of the 50A cord is setup for 50A 250/125 V and further your boat is wired to accept only one leg of the 250V supply. The other end is the same and you've installed the 50A 250/125 to 50A 125 V adapter. IF that adaptor is wired to supply the available power to only one leg of that power and that is NOT the same as what is wired on your boat. Then you will not be able to utilize that power. Of course what puzzles me is why you are seeing 120V on the incoming power. Maybe it's a residual voltage induced on the leads to the power pole? When you try to use the load does the voltage drop to zero?

If so then rewiring your input to utilize the other "leg" will fix this problem. Otherwise than it's another mystery that is probably buried in what we've not been let to know (i.e switches not properly set etc.)

Something similar can happen to boats wired to accept the two power legs of the 250/125 V as separate lines. In that case one would not have power on the one leg that is not passed through via the 250/125V to 125V converter.

RB Cooper

Comment

Sorry. I should have provided more information.

1. Adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Our 1998 4788 has a 50/125 inlet and two 30amp inlets. The marinas in the PacNW that we’ve been at all have 50/250 connections.
              2. Because I did not have the adapter until last month I have not tried using the 50 amp connection prior to this past weekend
              3. With the adapter connected at the power pole and the 50 amp cord connected between the adapter and the boat I assumed I would now have a single legged 50/125 power source
              4. The main voltage meter on the power panel indicated that I had 110/120v at the boat and to the power panel
              5. All the breakers were set to shore power, not the generator
              6. The transfer switch on the panel was set to “off” and not inverter or generator

So I had the indication of power to the third input (tp amp) but no matter what combination of breakers etc I tried I could not get power to any one of the three columns of breakers. I checked outlets, the microwave, and the AC units. No power anywhere. When I disconnected the 50amp cable and reattached the 30amp cable every circuit had power.
              Sammamish WA
              1998 4788 (April 2018)
              ”Knot Home”

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1998.4788.elec.png
Views:	163
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	520278 The adapter plug is working if you are showing 120V on the panel meter.

The #1 input is 50amp, correct? Inputs 2 & 3 are 30, correct?. With the #1 bus bypassed to shore power the #1 bus should have power regardless of other switching configurations.
                Irony
                Portsmouth, NH

Comment

• Knothome4788
                  Knothome4788 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Per the diagram inlet three is the 50 amp inlet. Per the boat side receptacle stamped info and actually trying a 50/250 cord the boat side receptacle is 50/125 and it is labeled input 3

The 50 Amp 125/250V Locking Dock Side/Male Plug has and extra leg, it is a silver contact on the side of the connector. This is used as the Ground and the 3 pronged plug is wired to have 2 hots and 1 neutral. Make sure you have the right adapter.
                • 50 Amp 125/250V Locking Dock Side/Male Plug, 50 Amp 125V Locking with Sealing Collar System Boat Side/Female Connector

Comment

• iceclimber
                  iceclimber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good call.

• Knothome4788
                  Knothome4788 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I provided a link to the connector I purchased. I have power to the panel. On our 4788 circuits 1 and 2 are 30 amp and 3 is 50 amp

• WhiteRockMike
                  WhiteRockMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  On our 4788 we couldn't parallel 1 and 2 from 3; only 2 and 3 from 1.

Looking at the description of your adaptor and the picture, I believe what you have is a dockside 125 volt 50 amp to 125 volt 30 amp boat side adaptor. If you have 50 amp 250 volts at the dock, you need a dock side 50 amp 250 volts to 125 volt 30 amp for your lines 1 and 2. For the your 50 amp #3 line, you will need a 50 amp 250 volt dock side (male), to a 125 volt 50 amp boat side (female) adaptor.
                Hino W06
                St. Louis, MO
                ”It’s A Wonderful Life”

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	703D735E-189C-4FE4-A0A0-B5F74FE816E1.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	520552
                  Hino W06
                  St. Louis, MO
                  ”It’s A Wonderful Life”

Comment

Difficult to say what the issue is without knowing what you have on the shore pedestal. If you have a 250v outlet it delivers power between two LINE outputs and does not really use the Neutral wire. Nevertheless its neutral wire should be connected to ground (at the pedestal) and a 4-wire system be used to carry both LIne1 and Line2 phases plus neutral and ground. It seems, somehow that you have Line voltage coming to the boat but may have an issue with the neutral line. If you have a multimeter, measure the volts at the pedestal (between lin1 and neutral, line2 and neutral and also line1 and line2. Similarly measure the line1 to neutral at the end of the shore cable before it connects to the boat.
                    Retired, computer expert / executive
                    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                    bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
                    bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

50/250 at the dock and 50/125 at the boat. I copied this from the description of what I purchased: it’s in the link that I posted above.
                      • 50 Amp 125/250V Locking Dock Side/Male Plug, 50 Amp 125V Locking with Sealing Collar System Boat Side/Female Connector

From reviewing all the comments I e got the right adapter and the shore power pedestal at Ganges and elsewhere are/were 50/250. Unless you are Hercules you can’t connect a 50/125 male or female end to a 50/250 circuit.

I guess I will have to do a bit of disassembly and check the panel wiring. Carefully. Unplugged. Inverter off. After waiting several minutes.
                      Sammamish WA
                      1998 4788 (April 2018)
                      ”Knot Home”

Comment

Take a look at the wiring diagram. You can follow how the inputs are wired to the slider lockout. Another page may show how the voltage meter is wired.

If you have the lockouts selected for generator while you are connected to shore power does the voltage meter still show 120 volts? If so, the meter is likely tapped before the slider lockout. If not wired before the slider lockout AND the meter shows voltage the slider lockout is bad.

Just some thoughts.

Where you say in post #8 above: "So I had the indication of power to the third input (tp amp)" do you mean the amp meter is showing current being drawn? If so, how much - and what breakers are on / off?
                        Irony
                        Portsmouth, NH

Comment

Working...
                        X