Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Chain on an All Chain Rode to carry on your 45/47?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much Chain on an All Chain Rode to carry on your 45/47?

Replacing my 5/16 BBB chain after 28 years it deteriorated(rusted) in some sections that I want to start fresh. Also thinking of going from 200 feet to 275'. I like the all chain for short scoops....just curious what others are doing...(not looking to argue rope/chain vs chain) just curious for those with all chain how much you have.
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Hi Mark
    I use 300 ft chain and 200 ft of rode....marked (chain) every 50 ft. With 1/4 in. Of yellow poly.
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

I recently replaced the original 5/16" BBB chain with 5/16" G4 chain. This required obtaining a new gypsy wheel for the windlass. I've got 275' backed by 50' of 9/16" 3 strand rode.
      Evan
      2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
      League City, TX

Comment

I have a entire drum of 5/16 HT in our chain locker. 550 feet.

I ended up changing out the windlass to a Lofrans Tigress, and love the no slip of the all chain rode.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

• mlewis100
          mlewis100 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's awesome!

285 feet 5/16” plus a short bit of rode in case I need to cut the anchor loose.
        Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
        Sammamish WA
        1998 4788 (April 2018)
        ”Knot Home”

Comment

Not a 45 or 47, but on my 3788 the rode consists of 300' of chain and 10' of rope. The rope is there to enable cutting it, if required.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

I carry 250' of HT 5/16" chain and 200' of 5/8" rope backer. My Muir windlass has no problem handling the rode.
            1992 4588 Twin 250 hp WO6-TI Hino
            12.5 kw Northern Light OM843NW2
            MMSI# 367650430
            FCC Call sign WDH 7669

Comment

We carry 300'. The length you want to carry depends on your cruising area and tides. On the BC west coast we get up to 15+ feet of tide change, so anchoring in the same depth as someone with 5 feet of tide change would require an extra 30-50' of chain, just to maintain the same scope at high tide. We also have some deep water anchorages (Desolation Sound) where we use all 300'.
              Mike
              "Allante I" Rayburn 75
              Previous: '97 4788

Comment

I've got 240' of 3/8" chain backed with 100' of floating poly, in case I have to cut off. I have a loop in the last 10' of line so I can attach a buoy
                Irony
                1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
                Portsmouth, NH

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback!!!
                  Mark
                  USCG OUPV
                  1990 4588
                  Carlsbad, CA

Comment

As a note, I found that the Gypsy on the Muir Cougar to be problematic when using rode.

Yes, it has a capstan, but with any weight hanging, it is a unplesant situation when switching from the rode portion to the chain portion as you have to unwind the capstan and while holding the weight get the chain into the gypsy.

Muir tech support verified thast their gypies are only really rated for chain.

This drove the decision to switch to a all chain rode.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

A little more scientific approach. Chapmans and many other references recommend an aspect of 7 to 1 rode to depth, often people say for all chain 4 to 1 is adequate (maybe not in a high wind condition)

So identify your highest tide expected at your deepest bay you expect to anchor in, add your bow Hight off the water. multiply by the aspect you are comfortable with.

In my case, 5 ft bow, expect to occasionally anchor in up to 60 ft of water at high tide. Have experienced blows of 40+ MPH so like to have the option of a high Aspect. (60 + 5 * 7) = 445 ft of rode. In Lighter weather I might go 4 to 1 if all chain so (60+5 *4) = 260 ft I run 300 ft chain and 200 ft rope. Most anchoring I never get to the rope, however I have occasionally made a lunch stop in up to 90 ft of water and appreciated the extra 200 ft.
                      4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's

Exploring the Salish Sea

Comment

I have almost 300' of 3/8" with 300' of 3 strand behind it. The 3 strand has never been wet.

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                          As a note, I found that the Gypsy on the Muir Cougar to be problematic when using rode.

Yes, it has a capstan, but with any weight hanging, it is a unplesant situation when switching from the rode portion to the chain portion as you have to unwind the capstan and while holding the weight get the chain into the gypsy.

Muir tech support verified thast their gypies are only really rated for chain.

This drove the decision to switch to a all chain rode.
                          I agree with you Kevin spoke to them twice now....just on the fence of from BBB to HT chain Gypsy and waiting on call back from Imtra with availability and cost. Also heard for not to many boat bucks you can upgrade the motor for more power as well...I keep you posted.
                          Mark
                          USCG OUPV
                          1990 4588
                          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny_4588 View Post

I agree with you Kevin spoke to them twice now....just on the fence of from BBB to HT chain Gypsy and waiting on call back from Imtra with availability and cost. Also heard for not to many boat bucks you can upgrade the motor for more power as well...I keep you posted.
                            I ended up just replacing the windlass with Lofrans Tigress unit. Nothing wrong with the old one, just that I need to be able to lift right at the Muirs service rating.

Right now I am anchored for example at 275’ fishing. In a bit I’ll have to break out the anchor, and lift 275*1.2 + 80 or 410 lbs dead weight.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                            X