Novurania 430DL on a 4788?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novurania 430DL on a 4788?

I just got a new (to me) 1997 Novurania 430 DL with a 50hp Mercury 4 stroke. The boat weight is listed as 507 per NADA, engine is 227. Puts me at 734 dry. I presume the 750lb rating is not its max break strength but has a safety factor of 2-3x built in???

Any thoughts on putting something this big up on top of the 4788? Ideally it would be able to be lifted with the current crane no problem but I am weary the deck mounting could not be strong enough, etc.

Has anyone tried this either successfully or not? What should be modified to make sure it will work? Obviously I prefer not to buy a whole new davit/crane...

Also has anyone towed something similar, any recommendations for that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
    2000 Bayliner 4788 "Perfect Balance"
    370HP Cummins
    Zodiac YL 340 30HP Nissan
    Moored at Roche Harbor

I lift a 12' Rendova with a 40 hp Honda outboard. It came with my 4788 when I bought it used. I wouldn't want to lift anything heavier.

Plus, it's already a very tight squeeze on the flybridge. At 2' longer with a heavier engine I'd be worried about fitting it onto the flybridge and securing it so it won't flip backwards in a rough sea.

Imagine if you damaged the davit or (worse) the flybridge. That's going to be expensive. I'd trade the Novurania and engine for a smaller/lighter package. But that's just me.

Comment

The 12' Rendova brings up an interesting comparison--that is what my 4788 came with. That was a heavy boat--I looked it up and the boat weight per their brochure was 450 pounds, so 57 pounds less than the Novurania 430. The engine I had was a 25 Yamaha, about 160 pounds, so 60 pounds less. That is 110 less overall. Your 40HP Honda is just over 200, so that makes your total come in at 653 or 81 pounds less than the Novurania (734).

On board the Rendova I kept an extra tank (6 gallons) of fuel in addition to the installed fuel tank and in fact lifted that boat one day when it was utterly swamped full of water (I lifted it out, but not up far, to drain it-- took over ten minutes with bilge pump and plug out--that had to be far over 500 pounds of water and was part of the reason I got rid of that Rendova--it had a leaky hull from prior beaching damage).

I currently have a dock box behind our seats and would prefer not to remove it, and the width of the Novurania is a bit more so my intention would be to place it sideways and cover up the hatch when it is on deck. (bonus is that I may even have room to add a small chest freezer on extended cruises next to the dock box). I also figure that the width would make it hard to rotate fully around even if there was room lengthwise but if I have the lifting bridle/harness configured more to the aft of the Novurania it should be easy enough to rotate only 90 degrees--also helps with height as rear seat is much lower than the console.

I should probably add the support bars to the flybridge corners down to the cockpit if I do this to keep the aft portion of the flybridge well supported. (I'll start a separate thread asking about the vertical supports)

Thinking out loud I am a lot less concerned thinking of this in terms of the Rendova I used to own vs. the Zodiac we have up there now.

Obviously the major concern is damage to the flybridge which is why I was wondering about others experience, if that has happened to anyone, and ideas on how to reinforce it. I am less concerned with the crane itself but it should also be considered--though I think I read elsewhere that the 750 pound rating is 1/3 of its actual design, but I can't remember where I saw that.

Any thoughts based on the above? Is the extra 80 pounds over a tried and true setup a lot or not a big deal?
      2000 Bayliner 4788 "Perfect Balance"
      370HP Cummins
      Zodiac YL 340 30HP Nissan
      Moored at Roche Harbor

Comment

You might get that rig weighed too. I picked up an Avon 360DL Seasport with a 40 hp Yamaha last summer. The dealer weighed it for me and it came in at 890 lbs, way over what the specs say it should have weighed even considering the fuel it had in it. I think many manufacturers understate their real weight.
        1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

A few quick points...Fuel at 10lbs per gallon, battery to start it about 50lbs most likely, does it have an anchor and chain? add some more. and after you use it it gain some water most likely. We have 4588, and snapped our davit arm after 15 years or no issues lifting the same boat. It is very scary and lift threatening when this goes bad. Our arm was rated at 500lbs and boat was weighted by insurance at 490lbs so even under the rated wieght. Sorry not trying to negative, but my opinion after this has changed. also that is lot of weight up high so your boat will most likely roll more.

Ours broke at the top of the list when the wire rope slip on the spook making a shock load. the 47 davit is different but still a wire spool that can slip.

Our new davit to lift same boat is rated 800lbs and linear hydrolic so not slipping. Night and day difference.

Just sharing again, it you boat, your judgment, but I can say when our 11' boston whaler feel and I went with it, it sure changes your view on this topic. Luckily my wife standing below in cockpit was missed by the bow that hit the teak coming of the side....scary day that we will never forget.

May others learn from our miss fortune.
          Mark
          USCG OUPV
          1990 4588
          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

In addition to the boat and engine, you also have to consider the battery, fuel, anchor, bilge pump, fuel filter, water in the bilge, electronics, safety equipment, ropes, etc. etc. That stuff all adds up. And as mentioned, the real weight is often higher than the brochure weight. An actual weighing is a great idea. We had a Novurania 400DL and Yamaha 50 on our 4788 and it worked great, but I wouldn’t have wanted to go with anything bigger. We didn’t have a dock box or freezer on our flybridge either.
            Mike
            "Allante I" Rayburn 75
            Previous: '97 4788

Comment

One more thing we have done is we now have inline scale we use a few times year to make sure we have not had a big weight change in the tender...something like the below is very telling on your total real weight

https://www.amazon.com/Klau-Portable...T6QNVT09J&th=1
              Mark
              USCG OUPV
              1990 4588
              Carlsbad, CA

Comment

I have a different take on tenders.

On my 4788 I currently have a Zodiac YL340 with a honda 30 HP engine.

It is a wonderful skiff. Fast, comfortable.

Where is really has challenges is if I actually try to use it for anything that involves a shore landing.

It is flat out too heavy to comfortably take to shore, drag above the high water line, and expect to get it launched again.

What I am seriously considering for my future exploring is to downsize to something that I can drag around. A RIB design, but lighter, and with just a few HP engine.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

I’m with Kevin. If I were replacing I’d go with a 10 or 11 foot aluminum rib with a Euro style helm and 20hp.
                  Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
                  Sammamish WA
                  1998 4788 (April 2018)
                  ”Knot Home”

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                    I have a different take on tenders.

On my 4788 I currently have a Zodiac YL340 with a honda 30 HP engine.

It is a wonderful skiff. Fast, comfortable.

Where is really has challenges is if I actually try to use it for anything that involves a shore landing.

It is flat out too heavy to comfortably take to shore, drag above the high water line, and expect to get it launched again.

What I am seriously considering for my future exploring is to downsize to something that I can drag around. A RIB design, but lighter, and with just a few HP engine.

My buddy had the same issue with his boat's tender. He kept the existing tender/davit on the hardtop and got a 10' aluminum hull rib with a 15hp engine on a swim step davit. This way he had a fast, comfortable tender for longer trips and a light weight tender he could easily beach.
                    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                    Anacortes, WA

Comment

A lot of good information has been provided. I would definitely weigh the dinghy so you know exactly how much weight you are trying to lift. Have you tried to contact the manufacturer of the davit? They should be able to give specifications of what the actual capacity is. I bought a dock mounted lift for my 14' Zodiac Pro-. The lift manufacturer recommended a 1500 lb lift versus the 1000lb lift I intended to buy. They said they never recommend loading any of their lifts to the max rating as they recommended not exceeding 75% of rated load capacity. My dinghy according to manufacturer weights would have been 750-800lbs.
                      Gibraltar, Mi.
                      1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
                      34' Tollycraft- sold
                      88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
                      14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Kevin we are doing exactly that have ordered (hoping-it comes in in the next month) an 11’ inmar inflatable aluminum bottom, 20hp Yamaha pull start and landing wheels total boat weigh about 325 and even doing a hopefully much easier to pull up a beach in Baja ...

whaler going to trailer for little vacation for next or next year or two, wife still prefers the stability and dryer ride she thinks
                        Mark
                        USCG OUPV
                        1990 4588
                        Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny_4588 View Post
                          Kevin we are doing exactly that have ordered (hoping-it comes in in the next month) an 11’ inmar inflatable aluminum bottom, 20hp Yamaha pull start and landing wheels total boat weigh about 325 and even doing a hopefully much easier to pull up a beach in Baja ...

whaler going to trailer for little vacation for next or next year or two, wife still prefers the stability and dryer ride she thinks
                          Baja is exactly what I was thinking about regarding a lighter skiff. Not too many dingy docks there

I am planning on following you down in 2021. I might do CUBAR, and might just solo it, time will tell as the plans all get worked out..

KEVIN SANDERS
                          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Happy share the experience and what we learn
                            Mark
                            USCG OUPV
                            1990 4588
                            Carlsbad, CA

Comment

• ksanders
                              ksanders commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks! I will be following your journey very closely and taking notes of your experiences.

For the original poster... I really like Marks idea of weighing the dinghy in real life with the scale. We really like our 12’ Rendova with 40HP Yamaha and 16 gallon fuel tank but it seems like it is maxing out the crane. It would be nice to know what it actually weights for $50! Shock loading can also be pretty severe when the big boat is bouncing in any kind of sea state while retrieving. I have a tow bridle that I can use to pull dinghy if sea state is too rough.

I am also thinking about a lighter skiff to complement the Rendova. I have been thinking about building a stitch and glue 11-12’ rowing/sailing dinghy. Weighs about 100#. Maybe put a little tiny 1-2 hp outboard on it with self contained gas tank. At any rate this is thread drift...
                            2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                            12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                            MV Kia Orana
                            Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Working...
                            X