No announcement yet.

Anchoring system with short bow pulpit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for the input! We always use a bridle when anchoring. The Manson Supreme has been a great anchor but not for my pulpit. It’s for sale now. I ended up going with the Vulcan 33. Much lower angle and smoother as it comes over the bow roller. Not sure I like how it rests when brought home. May need to modify the bow roller. Now to actually try it....Yes the bubble wrap has been removed.....
    Attached Files
    2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
    12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
    MV Kia Orana
    Currently Alameda CA

Comment

I use a all chain rode and use a bridle in all but the most benign conditions as well

It is similar to Pat’s in that it is two lengths of three strand line with a mantis chain grab in the middle.

The nylon is a good shock absorber, plus I have one of those black rubber shock absorbers inline as well. These are the kind that you feed the line through and wrap around so that if the rubber breaks the line is still there.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Steve, based on the pics and your description I believe you are correct about the geometry of the chain and it’s angle as it approaches the gypsy. If there was a chain guide (kinda like you were using your foot) just before the gypsy the angle of the chain would not change and, in theory, retrieval would be smooth. What do you think about something like this:
        https://www.marinedepotdirect.com/sp...CABEgJMKvD_BwE
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Or even a dog stopper which would kill two birds- guide the chain and prevent a runaway.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...:1,prmr:1,cs:1
          Jim Gandee
          1989 3888
          Hino 175's
          Fire Escape
          Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
            I’m learning a lot about anchors and how they interface with bow pulpits. Hopefully this helps others....The prior owner removed our bow pulpit. I like it this way but it is not without compromises. We easily fit into a 50’ slip. Huge plus. The selection of anchors becomes limited. Not necessarily a negative but.....

We love anchoring out. But the anchoring system (not just the anchor)needs to be pretty bulletproof in my opinion or I just don’t sleep as soundly.

on one of my sailboats I had a system rigged so that I could deploy and retrieve the anchor from the cockpit.... the problem I had to overcome was the anchor being able to come up over the roller high enough for the leverage to shift and allow it to be drawn in tight for stowage... and the rode never changed angles, so it fed in and out perfectly every time..
            here is a photo of what solved the problem... in addition to the ease of drawing the anchor onto the roller for stowage, it deployed itself the instant the rode was slackened... NOTE the roller that the rode goes under before heading to the windless... it is what keeps the scope at the correct angle as its being drawn in..
            in actual use, I had 20ft of chain between the anchor and 3-strand...
            due to the self adjusting angles, it works very well...

Click image for larger version  Name:	2013-03-25_10-11-10_478.jpg Views:	0 Size:	414.3 KB ID:	507218

NU LIBERTE'
            Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
            5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
            N2K equipped throughout..
            2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
            2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
            '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
            Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

I will post this where more folks will see it. This is on a 3288. That's the closest the anchor gets to the bow. The anchor self-launches. Mantus rollers, Vulcan 33 anchor.

Comment

It’s interesting looking at the above pic of the Vulcan anchor design. If it works, great, but to me it seems there is not much angle of the yoke and the base bottom, and it would skate across the sea floor vs digging in.

It prompted me to look at my anchor (pic attached) and certainly the angle is wider so as it gets pulled, it really digs in and down.

Not wanting to cause too much “controversy “ on the positives/negatives of anchor brands, but thought it interesting. (It’s an Ultra by the way, and I didn’t tell the Admiral how much it cost ). If I didn’t have the pulpit, I guess it’d need a creative roller system to ensure it wouldn’t whack the hull.

Cheers

Click image for larger version  Name:	7E6AAEB2-04BF-410A-9DD4-847CF454CFBC.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	157.7 KB ID:	507680
                John H
                Brisbane QLD Aust
                "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Originally posted by higgins_jr View Post
                  It’s interesting looking at the above pic of the Vulcan anchor design. If it works, great, but to me it seems there is not much angle of the yoke and the base bottom, and it would skate across the sea floor vs digging in.

It prompted me to look at my anchor (pic attached) and certainly the angle is wider so as it gets pulled, it really digs in and down.

Not wanting to cause too much “controversy “ on the positives/negatives of anchor brands, but thought it interesting. (It’s an Ultra by the way, and I didn’t tell the Admiral how much it cost ). If I didn’t have the pulpit, I guess it’d need a creative roller system to ensure it wouldn’t whack the hull.

Cheers

Click image for larger version Name:	7E6AAEB2-04BF-410A-9DD4-847CF454CFBC.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	157.7 KB ID:	507680
                  There's more to it than just the angle of the shank. The shape and size of the flukes has a lot to do with setting and digging in.

I think the Vulcan and Ultra are both good anchors. My buddy has an Ultra on his boat and we've both anchored in the same area at the same time. His Ultra and my Vulcan both set immediately and both held well through wind and current reversals
                  1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                  2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

I’ve been following this thread closely as I was planning to remove the pulpit on my 490 in the next couple weeks so I would have more slip options in Seattle. After looking at the geometry, I’ve pulled back on my plans for now as I’d have to move my vertical windless to accommodate the anchor shank or change to a different anchor and, while it’s possible, I’m not sure I want the mooring options that badly right now. I may still do this later but, I’m already going to have her in the yard on Monday for a couple weeks for major repairs and want to get back out as soon as possible. I’ll start a separate thread and share all the repair details as I think it will benefit other 4788/490 owners.

All that said, I’m really grateful for the forum community for the thoughtful discussions.
                    Shawn Hammer and Geri Schaffer
                    G-dock, Shilshole, Seattle
                    2005 Meridian 490
                    2016 Walker Bay
                    M/V 2nd Circus

Comment

Working...
                    X