Seawater strainer top gaskets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seawater strainer top gaskets

I need a hand with 1987-ish Bayliners using the Perko "figure 493/500 Sea strainer" I have the original 1987 install paperwork and it mentions gaskets but the part number is meaningless. I have a strainer marked Fig 493/500 sea strainer used for my Westerbeke generator. It has a top gasket that is about 2" diameter. The engine sea strainer says exactly the same thing but it is larger so the top gasket is about 3". Since I do have to open them up, particularly the generator strainer, to clean them; where has anyone been able to find these gaskets? My internet search has been fruitless. I have three strainers and eventually one of the aging rubber gaskets is going to fail.
    Fred
    Former USCG C130 Pilot
    Salish Sea Pirate

Perko sells parts for them. I would bive them a call or email a photo to tech support.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

If you were in the Puget Sound area their are lots of Marine stores that carry the gaskets you need....West Marine....Fisheries Supply just to name a few.
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

https://www.go2marine.com/product/86...eries-99r.html
        Cheers, Hans
        2007 Carver 41 CMY
        Twin Volvo D6-370
        Montreal, Canada
        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Thank you Friends. It is not simple, one has to know the "size" of the strainers. For us '38 owners of my vintage...the generator strainer is a 5 and the engine strainer is a 7. How stupid to give a multi-sized strainer the same model number. And the top gasket you need cannot be had without the glass cylinder rebuild gaskets, making the purchase way more expensive than need be. How many cyber gaskets will we simply be throwing away? And cork? C'mon, I don't want a single use gasket, I want the neoprene so it is reusable. Ruin the cork miles from home when the strainer clogs and you'd better have spares and time to spare to clean the surfaces. I ordered a cork set to measure and cut neoprene gaskets. Currently my boat had neoprene, but, Perko says cork is for "early model" fig. 493/500 strainers. I ordered a neoprene set, too, just to see what fits my boat best. How do you know you are early or late model-no information presented anywhere. Perko hoses us again. causing me strain(er).

Not a "Newby", Just lost in an update.

1987 3818.
          Fred
          Former USCG C130 Pilot
          Salish Sea Pirate

Comment

I bought mine at Fisheries supply in Seattle some years ago.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Flyboy, I have an 88 3818 and replaced the strainer gaskets just about three years ago. I’ve found the cork gaskets are multiple use. I tighten the top down just enough to stop any water flow plus a little bit. The old ones were dried out and well used. I bought the ones I have from Fisheries Supply in Seattle. I can’t tell you if they are cork or neoprene until I go to the boat and look at my spares, but I plan to go there tomorrow.
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
              MMSI 367770440
              1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
              Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Why not buy a sheet of Cork or neoprene/rubber and cut your own....have made a few that way.
                Brad & Sharon
                Lady Jake
                1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Shut the seacock, open it up and take the gasket to any of the places mentioned, adding LFS. The cork are multiple use, but there are some other options. The cylinders are not glass, and each of them also has an upper and a lower gasket. If you have never changed them, maybe it is time. You already have the seacocks closed.
                  Tally and Vicki
                  "Wickus" Meridian 341
                  MMSI 338014939

Comment

When I couldn't find the correct model gasket quickly, i got a discarded heavy truck tire inner tube and cut a gasket to fit.....it is still there and working fine
                    Allan
                    1986 - 3870
                    175 Hinos
                    Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

I made my own from cork , could not find them at west Marine or the Parker store,, but I do live in Alaska
                      1988 3270
                      135 hinos
                      Seldovia ALASKA
                      KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
                      KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
                      Marine canvas/Upholstery
                      since 1975

Comment

Just a suggestion - not sure if others will argue this or not. I installed one of these on my washdown pump on the sailboat two years ago and it has worked great for me. I have now recently installed one on my 2560 for the washdown pump.

This comes with the housing and the filter, they are readily available at your home depot and they keep the screens in stock too.

They are around 10 bucks, so it's not a bad idea to have an extra one in your spare parts bin on your boat. Also, if you need more than the 3/4" pipe size - one could put two of these in parallel if they have the room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	strainer.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	507415
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X