Turbo & riser Hino EH700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo & riser Hino EH700

While replacing the rear 8d battery found flaming turbo & riser with a little leak. Became beret obvious w removal of insulating wrap. Ordered turbo from Marine Parts Supply out of Canada as there are few to no sources in Calif. Riser looked function and was a welded fabrication. May replace after cleaning up and inspecting. The riser seems to be really expensive $2400cad/1750US.
    Any other less expensive sources?

Try National Marine Exhaust in Marysville, WA.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

You might give. Earl Summerville a call. 1-386-1872 he might have the parts that you need or information on where to get them as he has traveled all over to repair Hinos.
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Green water Marine Exhaust to d a great job on ours, stainless and ceramic coated. https://greenwatermarine.com/product...st-risers.html

Mine are 6 or so years old now and look brand new....
        Mark
        USCG OUPV
        1990 4588
        Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Sounds like it is the year of the replacement exhaust. Earl is in the process of working on my boat, 2 risers , 1 manifold, clean out tube bundle, very thin wallet. Risers are from Scott at National Marine. It was an insidious failure but not surprising 31 year old boat and I have never completely removed things for cleaning. The riser was severely restricted due to buildup. If you need the manifold Earl is actually the “source” for the other outlets. He has them made about 10 at a time. The risers are a debatable idea if the cast last 30 years with some routine maintenance that would be a pretty good incentive too.

Comment

The correct engine designation on my 1990 4588 is EH700TI. The riser was actually functional but had a pin hole which is being re-welded. The turbo was toast. I ordered a new one from Anchorage Marine Parts.
            When tech disassembled there was a large heavy right angle bracket that was rusting away. It did not appear to support or touch the turbo or exhaust system. Anyone have an idea of what this large bracket is for?
            Next project is:
            re-install exhaust system on the starboard engine
            lube the turbo
            re-do heat wrap
            test/inspect
            The port turbo seems fine but riser needs to be
            inspected & lubed, probably some pin hole weld & heat shield replacement. (TBD).

Comment

Greenwater and National are both good companies to work with. Total cost for two risers is less than a boat buck.
              Patrick and Patti
              4588 Pilothouse 1991
              12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
              M/V "Paloma"
              MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Originally posted by Jmason View Post
                The correct engine designation on my 1990 4588 is EH700TI. The riser was actually functional but had a pin hole which is being re-welded. The turbo was toast. I ordered a new one from Anchorage Marine Parts.
                When tech disassembled there was a large heavy right angle bracket that was rusting away. It did not appear to support or touch the turbo or exhaust system. Anyone have an idea of what this large bracket is for?
                Next project is:
                re-install exhaust system on the starboard engine
                lube the turbo
                re-do heat wrap
                test/inspect
                The port turbo seems fine but riser needs to be
                inspected & lubed, probably some pin hole weld & heat shield replacement. (TBD).
                I you have the factory elbow and exhaust then the bracket helf those, when upgrade to Greenwater as we did it is not used as theirs is a different design and much weight then the cast iron. I would personal be nervous with a patch on cast iron elbow, maybe yours are stainless replacements already...do you have pictures?
                Mark
                USCG OUPV
                1990 4588
                Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Thanks for the input on the bracket. It was the tech’s thought that the heavy bracket was designed to support the old cast iron riser weight & had been left in place when the riser was replaced with a SS fabricated riser a number of years ago. The existing (lightweight) SS riser is not as pretty as the Green Water but is functional. It has been repaired of the pin hole leaks and riser, turbo, new hoses, clamps etc should be installed in the next few days.

Comment

Hope to get picture in next few days b

Comment

Thanks for the input on the bracket. It was the tech’s thought that the heavy bracket was designed to support the old cast iron riser weight & had been left in place when the riser was replaced with a SS fabricated riser a number of years ago. The existing (lightweight) SS riser is not as pretty as the Green Water but is functional. It has been repaired of the pin hole leaks and riser, turbo, new hoses, clamps etc should be installed in the next few days.
                      That makes sense then...once you go stainless the setup changes a bit so that bracket is not used, but sounds like the past owner like myself chose to leave it in place just encase plans change in the future.
                      Mark
                      USCG OUPV
                      1990 4588
                      Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Comment

While replacing the rear 8d battery found flaming turbo & riser with a little leak. Became beret obvious w removal of insulating wrap. Ordered turbo from Marine Parts Supply out of Canada as there are few to no sources in Calif. Riser looked function and was a welded fabrication. May replace after cleaning up and inspecting. The riser seems to be really expensive $2400cad/1750US.
                          Any other less expensive sources?
                          http://www.greenwatermarineexhaust.c...st-risers.html

Comment

I just replaced both risers (and one manifold, ouch!) with NME’s “can” style. They are $1489 each then another $150 each or so to ceramic coat. They also make a swept style at the same price. This is on a 1988 4550 EH700s.

Comment

Ok I hear and read about many having risers originally made of cast metal switching to SS. No mention of the type of SS but then ceramic coating them. Knowing how SS is supposed to work ( exposure to O2 allows a thin oxidation layer that prevents or at least limits further corrosion) I always wonder just how the ceramic coating works on the SS. Seems by preventing O2 from reaching the SS surface one is compromising the major advantage of SS. Would it not be better to just have new cast metal risers ceramic coated? The cast risers appear to last 10 + years and the ceramic coating should allow at least an additional 5 before replacement.

RB Cooper

Comment

Working...
                              X