Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation requested for fiberglass/gelcoat work in Seattle area (transom door repair)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation requested for fiberglass/gelcoat work in Seattle area (transom door repair)

The transom door on our 4788 leaked and was filled with water when we purchased the boat. I removed the door, routed and filled all the cracks with epoxy, and cut two drain holes in the bottom (epoxy coated the bare coring. Unfortunately the resulting cosmetic work is a bit behind my DIY skills. I’m looking for a reasonably priced shop that can prep and re-gelcoat the door. Quotes from one local yard $1500 for labor and materials and that just seems too high for one door at their shop.

Any recommendations? Our boat is at Skyline in Anacortes.
    Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
    Sammamish WA
    1998 4788 (April 2018)
    ”Knot Home”

Gordon, while I’m not in Anacortes, (been there many times) I’m sure others can assist with specific recommendations. However, consider repainting (2 part epoxy paint) the whole door. The door is like a bowl with a plywood lid that has been dropped in and gel coated and the cracking typically runs around the perimeter of the plywood lid. If your routing efforts are bog filled effectively, and sanded smooth, a good painter can match the white color and no one will pick it. Gelcoat is real expensive and in my view, isn’t worth it. My bog/paint repair here cost $300.

Good luck with it. Cheers
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Thanks. The first service company suggested painting as an alternative (I.e. Awlgrip) but said the surface wouldn’t be as reflective. I kinda sorta doubted that was the case but perhaps you folks can enlighten me. From what I’ve seen a good part job looks as good or better than gelcoat and holds up better.
      Sammamish WA
      1998 4788 (April 2018)
      ”Knot Home”

Comment

Nah Gordon, you get a descent polish cream, buffed etc and just the door in the transom, I doubt anyone would pick it. Potentially shinier that the gelcoat, although I don’t know much about awlgrip. The sun really does a number on gelcoat over 20 years, particularly down under and unless it’s been kept under cover, or regularly waxed, a paint job is probably inevitable in the end. I have not had an issue with mine, although a color match is key.

Cheers

John H
        Brisbane QLD Aust
        "Harbor-nating"

Comment

Suspicions confirmed.
          Sammamish WA
          1998 4788 (April 2018)
          ”Knot Home”

Comment

Hello John!
            do you have any pics of your repair process? The interior side of our door has a few long cracks around the perimeter. They don’t seem to be getting worse but I imagine I’m going to have to make a repair probably sooner than later.
            Steve
            2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
            12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
            MV Kia Orana
            Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Gordon here. I used a Dremel tool to open up the cracks and then used West Systems - whatever that 2-part in a tube is - to fill the routed out cracks. The epoxy needs a bit more finishing and then I will have the door painted to match the gelcoat.
              Sammamish WA
              1998 4788 (April 2018)
              ”Knot Home”

Comment

Steve, sorry I don’t have any pics, but I remember seeing it being repaired. Gordon is correct, the joint (edges of the drop in plywood lid on the flat backside) was “V” out quite liberally and edges routed/ground out to allow a 1 1/2” reinforcing mesh to sit flat. After the V was filled and the mesh laid in, the bog was smoothed in. After curing, it was sanded smooth, (varying grits) then spray painted. The prep took about 30 mins, the bogging about 20 mins, machine sanding about 20 mins and painting (primer and 2 coats about 15 mins application time). There was mucking around cleaning time of say 1/2 hr. Considerably quicker than gelcoating... Hope it helps.

Cheers
                John H
                Brisbane QLD Aust
                "Harbor-nating"

Comment

Working...
                X