4788 windscreen hard water spots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 windscreen hard water spots

I was wondering what everyone uses to clean hard water spots of their wind screen.
    Thanks in advance

I’ve had success with bar keepers friend. But needs a lot of hard work and force on the glass but it works well
    BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
    5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
    Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Meguiar's Makes a heavy duty compound for that. It says right on the label is can be used for removing hard water spots on windshields. I have been told by ones at car dealerships that it is common to buff the hard water spots of the windshields of brand new cars, especially those that sit outside on storage lots in the Midwest USA.

Greg
      Newport, Oregon
      South Beach Marina
      1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
      Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
      Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Simbad I did see a YouTube video about using bar keepers. Thanks

Comment

For the Acrylic wind visor up on the flybridge - I use PLEXUS. Its great for Isenglas also. I'm guessing if its good enough for the F/A-18 Super Hornet Jet?
          MY 3988
          M/V MMPOWRD
          Poulsbo, WA

Comment

I’m presuming you are discussing the water spots on the glass of the boat rather than the venturi. The spots are likely to be etched into the glass rather than being on the surface, and will probably need a more aggressive approach to remove them.

I had water etching on the glass of our last boat (M490), and while Barkeepers, Amaz or other products would make it look better temporarily, the first damp day or overnight dew had them looking as bad as ever.

I took a lead from a YouTube video showing how to clean RV windshields using Rain-X and 0000 grade steel wool. I was sceptical, but with a little effort, the glass was cleaned and once again looked like new. The steel wool will not scratch the glass, but it’s important to thoroughly clean the area around the windows afterwards, otherwise you will end up with lots of little rust spots from the steel wool residue on the fiberglass.

Following this type of cleaning, it’s recommended that a layer of wax/polish or water repellent is applied to protect the glass in the future - I used NuFinish liquid polish, but I’m sure any decent polish would work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXS4pegAnN4

Rob
            Bayliner 5788
            'Merlin V'
            Vancouver BC

Comment

That’s an interesting tip. Going to give mine a try. The 5788 brow always leaves a nasty water line about 2 thirds up the window but I have never used repellents. Might be worth a try. Off to buy some wire wool !
              BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
              5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
              Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Originally posted by simbad View Post
                That’s an interesting tip. Going to give mine a try. The 5788 brow always leaves a nasty water line about 2 thirds up the window but I have never used repellents. Might be worth a try. Off to buy some wire wool !
                Make sure to rinse the hell out of the area when you're done - pressure wash if you have one. Those little leftover bits of steel wool will rust stain the nonskid!
                1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Why use steel wool? Bad choice of products. I would use bronze wool or scotchbrite pads. Neither will leave residue that will cause a problem.
                  Future 4788 Owner
                  Charleston, S.C.

Comment

You can buy stainless steel wool for a third the price of bronze wool. I bought Scum Off shower cleaner at the Seattle boat show (available direct or from Amazon) and followed the instructions including using steel wool. It says 0000 steel wool. I used "fine" which I believe is 00. Three applications followed by a top application of Meguiars #1 medium cut cleaner applied with the stainless wool turned heavily marked glass crystal clear.
                    I would not use steelwool on the dodger or any plastic, but Scum Off is worth a try on the dodger.
                    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle_Bob View Post
                      You can buy stainless steel wool for a third the price of bronze wool. I bought Scum Off shower cleaner at the Seattle boat show (available direct or from Amazon) and followed the instructions including using steel wool. It says 0000 steel wool. I used "fine" which I believe is 00. Three applications followed by a top application of Meguiars #1 medium cut cleaner applied with the stainless wool turned heavily marked glass crystal clear.
                      I would not use steelwool on the dodger or any plastic, but Scum Off is worth a try on the dodger.
                      I've never seen stainless steel wool any finer than 0. I didn't think it existed...
                      1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Imar has a glass polish! https://www.imarsales.com/specialty-products. I have some but not tested it yet but so far all the products I have from them work as well or better than they claim!

Comment

Vinegar, or for the toughest water stains, ammonia. For buffing, baking soda.

Comment

IMAR Professional grade glass polish #1001. Use with cloth for small jobs or rotary foam pad for larger.

Window glass protective coating: Aquapel, like rainex, only better, longer lasting. No silicone.

Great results, long lasting.
                            "Impasse". 2001 3988
                            Cummins 330's
                            Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Comment

Has anyone tried commercial automotive windshield coatings on the glass after you have it all cleaned/buffed? There are many automotive products that are more durable than Rainx - ar least for automotive use.
                              Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
                              Sammamish WA
                              1998 4788 (April 2018)
                              ”Knot Home”

Comment

Working...
                              X