Tunnel extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunnel extensions

Both shown at 2000rpm. Before install pic also full of mussels and barnacles. After pic is also clean running gear. But never saw such nice prop wash before!
    1986 3870 175NA Hinos 450 hurths
    yanked out Westerleak
    mostly admiral driven

Vamonos-
    I had the same experience. Did you notice your bow stays lower and you don't need to use as much tab? Have you measured any increase in top speed?
    Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
    34' Tollycraft- sold
    88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Vamonos came to my marina to install them so I have a few pictures to share. I will be installing mine soon : )

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190510_165238.jpg Views:	0 Size:	339.4 KB ID:	501110Click image for larger version  Name:	20190510_165336.jpg Views:	0 Size:	385.7 KB ID:	501111Click image for larger version  Name:	20190510_165538.jpg Views:	0 Size:	389.5 KB ID:	501112Click image for larger version  Name:	20190510_165553.jpg Views:	0 Size:	244.2 KB ID:	501113Click image for larger version  Name:	20190510_165604.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.1 KB ID:	501114Click image for larger version  Name:	20190510_165614.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.5 KB ID:	501115Click image for larger version  Name:	20190510_165250.jpg Views:	0 Size:	365.3 KB ID:	501116
      P/C Bob Hicks JN
      Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
      Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
      Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
      Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
      Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

• Sunnydude
        Sunnydude commented
        Editing a comment
        So how do you know where to put the lag bolts?

Sunbird, yes blow lots lower...less mist storm. My tab switch is broken so I was on full up tabs and got over 17 knots. Before, with clean bottom and gear I was topped out at 17 with quite a lot of down tabs. New switch going in this weekend...expecting 19 knots.

yanked out Westerleak
      mostly admiral driven

Comment

Are these available for a 4588?
        Chris & Kari
        Nauti Angel
        1989 4588 Tacoma, WA

Comment

You can do a search on the forums or pm boatworkfl as he is the one who makes them. I believe you have to have your props in a half tunnel to start with like the 38's ( see the pictures above).
          P/C Bob Hicks JN

Comment

If there is a 4588 or 43' in the yard in Seward AK I will take some measurement and may well modify my unused 2nd mold.
            Last edited by boatworkfl; 05-16-2019, 06:14 PM.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Bob,

I noticed you also have tab extensions. Did you notice a big enough difference with the extensions to warrant them? I must admit, I am quite jealous of the tunnel extensions especially with the install. It looks fairly straight forward. Perhaps someday. Right now, I need to 'reel' myself in and start with the smaller things, like tab extensions.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cory
              '88 38'
              1988 38'
              Shear Bliss

Comment

There used to be a 38 at Dagmar's in Everett, WA that had tunnel-shaped, aluminum trim tabs behind the prop pockets. It's been a few years since I saw it, but I seem to remember that it had dual trim tab actuators on each tunnel.
                1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

Bushwood. I put the trimtab extensions on 6 years ago. It made a difference but not as profound as the tunnel extensions. Not.much difference in work required as stainless is damn difficult to drill unless you use a drill press at slowwwww rpm.
                  yanked out Westerleak
                  mostly admiral driven

Comment

Bushwood the pictures I posted were of Vamonos as he came to my marina to do his install. He has the trim tab extensions and he answered you question above.
                    P/C Bob Hicks JN

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
                      There used to be a 38 at Dagmar's in Everett, WA that had tunnel-shaped, aluminum trim tabs behind the prop pockets. It's been a few years since I saw it, but I seem to remember that it had dual trim tab actuators on each tunnel.
                      I saw a photo sometime back of that boat or another like it on BOC.

If I get enough orders this late fall for tunnels I should be able to drop the price a bit more as I still have a large full roll of combo mat and 1 1/2 oz mat paid for, I just need resin and gelcoat.
                      What Bayliners have tunnels? 38xx and ?
                      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

• Carmac
                        Carmac commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I believe that my 3988 has pockets. I would be interested in a set, particularly if the ones for the 3870 will fit. I will get measurements on Memorial Day and let you know. Is width and depth of the tunnel enough to go on?

32xx has tunnels. I plan to get some pictures of the boat at Dagmars if it’s still there. Trouble is, I’m in dry dock again with a bulging disk and am stuck at home until I see the Surgeon on the 30th. Four days in the hospital, steroid injection and now back to using a walker. The Admiral says I overdid at the boat. My position is it was weeding and pruning the raspberries that dun me in.
                      P/C Pete
                      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                      MMSI 367770440
                      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

That’s a pretty amazing change in you propwash....I wish I could get a “cleaner” prop-wash.... Too bad they don’t have tunnels for my boat...

~BJ
                        OMEGA
                        BJ
                        OMEGA

Comment

I wonder if someone could come up with a hydrofoil upgrade for our boats... That would be awesome!!!

~BJ
                          BJ
                          OMEGA

Comment

Working...
                          X