Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4588 Completed Interior & Exterior (For now....)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588 Completed Interior & Exterior (For now....)

We purchased our 89' 4588 this past December up in Deception Pass, WA and brought her home to Tacoma, WA. She had great bones and a fairly strong plant with enough instruments to outfit the Star ship Enterprise, however the deal I made with the boss was to update the counters, carpets, lighting, refer, pin stripping and the main deck along with several hundred projects I uncovered along the way. I was fortunate to meet several other 4588/4550 owners and glean some great suggestions along with what I've learned here. I started with the lighting, We liked the original style square ones that where throughout the boat, but there where only a hand full in the salon and some others that had be "altered" by the PO. I found a replacement warm light LED bulb that worked with the original fixtures and worked GREAT. After removing fixtures from the rest of the boat I had enough for the the salon and galley. I searched the boat show, Fisheries, Seamar, West Marine and everywhere else for a replacement that would cover the 7 1/4" square deterioration so I wouldn't have to replace the headliner. No such luck... We ended up creating 8" wood squares, stained them and place good old West Marine LED red/white round lights on them, PERFECT! We ordered a Nova Cool 8220 from Sure Marine, we went with 7.1 cu feet rather than 9 cu feet due to the air conditioning ducting and wiring I did not want to tackle yet. Fit like a glove with a few wood shims, plus I got my first experience in creating teak trim from scratch (which has come in rather handy on this boat). Of the 15 countertop contractors I contacted only one came out for a bid. They where much higher than our friends where (by 5K), apparently no one wants the liability any longer, I read about a company called the Miracle Method. They came out right away and where a fraction of the cost ($2500), It took them 3 attempts to get it right, but in the end we where very happy. Another member referred us to a great "carpet guy" in Tacoma, he came right down, gave us a hard bid for install and removal and sent us to his supplier to use his discount for the carpet and padding. He had done several 4788's and 4588's and knew what he was getting into, again, very happy. With the 10k savings from the counter tops I had my "fantasy" project bid out for Seadek. Definitely an eye opener, but what a world of difference! I removed the fly-bridge furniture for re-covering and sealed about 100 holes and scratches all over the fly-bridge, swim deck and the cockpit. The Seadek covered everything and feels and looks great. I learned how to work with plexiglass along the way, creating no doors and cover for the ladder from the PH to the FB and the stereo cabinet. Went to the Fisheries Supply swap meet, SCORED there!!! Found a newly returned captains chair that needed a new mounting system, and some poor gentleman who didn't like standing in the rain trying to sell his 55lb stainless Lewmar Delta anchor )) (and thanks to all those folks on the anchoring thread who made me paranoid enough to go out and get a Mantis snubber and chain hook). I won't bore everyone with all the items we changed, but finally done "for now" so we can enjoy her for a while. I will try to add a bunch of pics too. Apologies if they're not in order...
    Chris & Kari
    Nauti Angel
    1989 4588 Tacoma, WA

A few more pics
    Chris & Kari
    Nauti Angel
    1989 4588 Tacoma, WA

Comment

Wow, what a transformation. I love the counter top redo, I'll have to look into that for our 38. It looks good with the teak trim in place.

James
      1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
      Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
      Lowrance Electronics!
      MMSI
      VHF
      CFA 2587
      Boating on Georgian Bay
      Currently on the Great Loop

Comment

Beautiful!
        Tony Bacon,
        Washougal, WA
        Caspian
        1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

WOW! That is impressive! Almost everything you’ve done is on my wishlist for our 4788.
          I watch your boat go by on the Foss Waterway and she’s pretty on the outside too
          Drew Haas
          1998 4788 "Painkiller"

Comment

Very nice! Love the FB.
            CapMartin, Montr├®al
            "Belle de Dalhousie"
            1986 3270
            Volvo BB225B

Comment

Nicely done. Love the seadeck. Had a quote for that. Wowsers !!
              BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
              5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
              Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Looks great! Really like what you have done! Sure like the look of that Seadek.
                David
                Sidney, B.C.
                MV Cassiopeia V
                1990 4588
                twin 250 hp Hinos
                8kw Westerbeke

Comment

That is a beautiful renovation. Looks like a new boat.
                  Patrick and Patti
                  4588 Pilothouse 1991
                  12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                  M/V "Paloma"
                  MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Wow, that is gorgeous.
                    Thanks,
                    Matt B.
                    2002 Bayliner 4788
                    Previously: 1984 34' CHB, 1986 28' Bayliner Contessa, 1986 Catalina 30, 1976 Catalina 28
                    https://mvcesc.wordpress.com/

Comment

That's beautiful. I too bought a 90 4588 this past fall. At a later date I will post some of the improvements that I've done...including a center engine hatch.

Comment

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.. I need to step up my game.. So far I have put in some new carpet.. the rest to come, and redesigned the cabinet with a pull out desk. that's super deep.. We've bought what has been determined to be a ridiculous amount of solar apparently as well.. Found some dark blue UV protective window tint also. Looks fantastic from the outside. as well as inside. Lots more on the project list for sure. nice to see these get redone. Also.. doing the center engine hatch here real soon. Already replaced all the sub floor in the salon with the center piece intentionally cut to become a hatch..

Comment

I've been inspired now to post some pics.of our remodeling however it will have to wait tell we get back........Also i would like to put in a center hatch so please take pics...To those that have completed the center hatch did it require extra carpet or can it be done with what's there ??
                          Brad & Sharon
                          Lady Jake
                          1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                          LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                          2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                          kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

What a beautiful transformation. As others said, it looks like a brand-new boat. Great job!

Comment

Love all you have done, what a tranformation! Good job!
                              Ron & Tami
                              Midnight Sun
                              1990 4588 Bayliner
                              Deception Pass, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X