Raw water pump starting to sling a bit of water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raw water pump starting to sling a bit of water

I noticed my port raw water pump was showing signs of water getting past the seal. Has anyone rebuilt theirs and is there much involved in the dismantle and reassembly?
    1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
    previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

Hey Friday, I was going through my spring, hose clamps and hoses check up and I saw a little streak of rust across my raw water pump. I stuck my iPhone down there and clicked a picture and could see from the photo the pump was cracked. I can't help you with the rebuild but if you need a pump, Marine Parts of Canada in Naniamo has one. Part # S161003042 for $396.58 CDN. They also have the special O-ring that fits between the pump and the block.

Comment

Thanks Smitten, I'll give it an extra examination. The iPhone is a good suggestion
      1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
      previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

Comment

I've not done the Hino pumps in the past, but I know the Cummins <Sherwood> is very difficult to rebuild. I believe you need a bearing press and a couple other specialty tools.

On my Cummins, the pumps need to be rebuilt every 3 seasons so what I've done is purchase a 3rd pump. I install it, and then get the old one rebuilt so I always have a working pump I can cycle through as needed.
        Terry
        1999 Bayliner 3388
        Twin Cummins 4BTA
        Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
        Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
        X