3870 W/Mits - Trim Tab Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3870 W/Mits - Trim Tab Question

Looking for advice on removing my trim tabs all together on my 3870. She has the Mits in her and while I’m doing hull repairs I’m thinking about removing the tabs all together while I have them off to do glass work... or upgrading to electric tabs... thoughts?
    Great Lakes

The Wonder Years
    1985 3870 MY

Wouldn't think removing them all together is wise as you have no control over a list port or Starboard......I have electric tabs on my Scout and their great very responsive.there are a number of 38 owners here who,have extended the tabs some even extended the tunnels all in order to get better performance.
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

I would not permanently remove your trim tabs. Except to change to a different type. I modified mine by extending them 6”. It made a noticeable difference in getting and keeping the bow down. I have a bunch of extra weight in the stern of my boat. Dinghy, extended hardtop and generator, so I have 500# of ballast under the master bunk.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

The tunnels will not remove the need for trim tabs, even with tunnels you will still need the tabs to level the boat side to side.
        The tunnels will help with the prop wash that hits the underside of the swim platform on the 38xx series of Bayliners.
        You may still need a little bow trim even with tunnels.
        The tunnels will largely divert the water flow to straight back.
        Comments from those that have installed a pair of tunnels has been an increase of 1 to 1 1/2 MPH at top speed.

Photo's from Vamonose tunnels

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...rftp-rxMFTZJcv

This message is from BOC member 'RDOIII' re-printed with his permission.

Hi Pat
        Noted you are back in FL now or soon.
        How did the tunnels work for you?

I did do a rpm versus speed and MPG log - but the pad got left where it got wet and washes all the ink away!!! Oh Well
        I got a question on the BOC about how I liked them
        I sent the response below
        Feel free to use it if you like

"Hi
        Yes, I did get the tunnels and I installed them this spring Added about 1.5 knots to top end - 17.5 to 19 with clean bottom and our rigid inflatable on the back on weaver davits Boat still needed use of trim tabs to get max speed - a good thing, as I wanted option of raising bow in head seas and following seas. Did not run in heavy following seas but seemed to be fine in 2-3 footers.
        An added surprise is the boat rides flatter AND my wife and I both came to the same conclusion on a bouncy day that the ride was noticeably smoother with less roll. The tunnels may be acting like the roll fins I have seen added to hull under water near the chines. The stern seems to ride higher.
        The prop wash now does not touch the swim platform.
        The fuel economy seemed to be higher - difficult to say for sure but my average mileages went up - but I also think I ran slower more often.
        The one negative is the boat is not as responsive to the helms - more rudder needed at slow speed in particular - but not a deal breaker.
        In short would I do again - yes

Ron"
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Im going to be keeping the tabs. Looks to install the bolt system from Bennett. I have the old ones off for repair work is why I was asking. Tunnels this fall. That seems like a no brainer.

has any of you switched to the electric tabs on the 38’s?
          Great Lakes

The Wonder Years
          1985 3870 MY

Comment

• watchthis
            watchthis commented
            Editing a comment
            I had Lenco tabs on a prior wooden boat and liked them just fine. That boat stayed in the water year round. as far as I know the Lencos are still on the boat 8 years later and doing fine. I currently have Bennett because they were on the boat when I bought it.

I’d never heard of them until now, however, I’m a bit shy about using them if the boat is always in the water. I’m dry stored, so no big deal if I have to change one. I have the automatic retract system and enjoy that feature. I guess my question would be “what’s the advantage?”
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Working...
          X