Shore power inlet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shore power inlet

I want to add a 2nd pair 30 amp inlets to the port side. I have the SmartPlug inlets and the question I have for the group how to wire the 2nd pair into the circuit. Can I wire the port, starboard and selector switch into a junction box. This would have the unused inlets hot but if the unused inlet covers were pinned so they couldn’t be opened. Would this be ok from a safety viewpoint? Installing a selector switch is a option but I would like to avoid the expense and work of wiring in a selector switch. I live aboard most of the time so I’am always on the boat when anyone else is aboard. Anyone have suggestions or any other opinions I might consider? Thank you
    Capt. Ron.
    "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
    "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
    1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
    Hino EH700
    Westerbeke 8.0
    1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
    on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Noo! A live inlet, even if it is controlled with a switch and/or its cover is pinned down can result in electrical shock when someone forgets that switch is on, cover is left unpinned, etc. If you want to use either the existing or new inlets, but never both, there is a proper way of wiring it so you can select either one and not have either inlet in "live" mode.
    Retired, computer expert / executive
    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
    bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
    bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

You can use a rotary switch like these to select the input source (shore power inlet): https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat...otary_Switches
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Or you can do as I did and use a relay to make it automatic. https://www.ebay.com/p/Magnecraft-Po...d=162816720409
        Cheers, Hans
        2007 Carver 41 CMY
        Twin Volvo D6-370
        Montreal, Canada
        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I’m actually eliminating one of my 30 amp inlets because I have no need for more than 30 amps. At the same time I’m going to add a 30 amp plug inlet in the transom. Both inlets will be smart plugs. To prevent the unused inlet from being energized, I have an automatic transfer switch that’s made for this situation. Each inlet will connect on the incoming side then the two existing cables to the panels will connect and combine on the outgoing side. Whichever plug is used, the transfer switch senses the shore power and closes that circuit and opens the other one. This setup meets ABYC regulations.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
            I’m actually eliminating one of my 30 amp inlets because I have no need for more than 30 amps. At the same time I’m going to add a 30 amp plug inlet in the transom. Both inlets will be smart plugs. To prevent the unused inlet from being energized, I have an automatic transfer switch that’s made for this situation. Each inlet will connect on the incoming side then the two existing cables to the panels will connect and combine on the outgoing side. Whichever plug is used, the transfer switch senses the shore power and closes that circuit and opens the other one. This setup meets ABYC regulations.
            Yep, that would be a relay in a pretty box. I set mine up in an proper sealed electrical box

It is essentially fool proof as the contacts need to open or closed to let power through and are never interconnected, Worse case scenario is the contacts fuse together and even so then it simply would imply you would not get shore power to the boat on 1 side. There is no possibility of live inlet prongs ever.
            Cheers, Hans
            2007 Carver 41 CMY
            Twin Volvo D6-370
            Montreal, Canada
            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Thank you for the information on the magnetic switches that looks to be to easy to install not to use. This is something I’ve thought about doing for several years but never got up the list till now. Over the winter the dock my slip was on was damaged by snow load, ice and river rising and falling. The marina moved my boat to another dock that has a single power pedestal to serve 2 slips. I don’t want to have the cords laying on the dock from the pedestal to the other side of the boat. I also don’t like running them under the dock on top of the floats. Thanks again for being a great resource for information.
              Capt. Ron.
              "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
              "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
              1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
              Hino EH700
              Westerbeke 8.0
              1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
              on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

If you do go this route, hook up the side you will be using on a regular basis (your dock set up) to flow through the normally closed contacts of the relay. This way the coil is only energized when using the other less used inlet, not that it really matters however why energize a coil if not required. Mine has been flawless for close to 10 years now by the way.
                Cheers, Hans
                2007 Carver 41 CMY
                Twin Volvo D6-370
                Montreal, Canada
                Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSun View Post
                  If you do go this route, hook up the side you will be using on a regular basis (your dock set up) to flow through the normally closed contacts of the relay. This way the coil is only energized when using the other less used inlet, not that it really matters however why energize a coil if not required. Mine has been flawless for close to 10 years now by the way.
                  Does anyone make an automatic DPDT latching relay rated at 30A or more? These only energize the coils during switching and hold the contacts in position with a magnet.
                  1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                  2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

See https://www.mouser.com/Electromechan...z0z1wpZ1z0x3b2

The following product may work

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/3...heet_J34I-E-01[1]-1189366.pdf
                    Retired, computer expert / executive
                    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                    bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
                    bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

Does anyone make an automatic DPDT latching relay rated at 30A or more? These only energize the coils during switching and hold the contacts in position with a magnet.
                      Not sure what you are asking as this is a standard type of device used on all motor starter applications. When they get bigger they become contactors which are normally triple throw in order to accommodate 3 phase power and much higher amperages . The coil can be energized 24/7 with no ill effects year round as it is only creating a magnetic field.
                      Cheers, Hans
                      2007 Carver 41 CMY
                      Twin Volvo D6-370
                      Montreal, Canada
                      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post

ASCO 918 will do 30 amps.

I sell grunches of these. Very reliable,

p/n 91822031 $$211.73 delivered.

I do not have that particular model on my site, but here is a link

http://lightingcontrols4less.com/branchcircuits.html

KEVIN SANDERS
                        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Ok I've spent 35 years in the aerospace / boating industry and fully understand most every electrical type of connection, breaker and relay. In all of those years I've not encountered the "automatic DPDT latching relay" I know what a DPDT latching relay is but just exactly what is an "automatic" version and how does what it does make it automatic?

I understand normally closed or normally open so don't respond with that just describe the "automatic" portion please.

RB Cooper

Comment

It just means that when one of the shore power lines is energized the magnets either open for shore cable, say line two and close for line one, or open for line one and close for line two. This is done by either line being energized so there is no power to the other lines inlet. It’s done automatically rather than something like a manual selector lik a shore/off/generator rotary switch.
                            P/C Pete
                            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                            MMSI 367770440
                            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Or you can use one of these
                              Baomain Universal Rotary Changeover Switch SZW26-63 660V 63A 3 Position 3 Phase
                              Price: $28.79 Free Shipping for Prime Members

This pretty much the same as Blue seas just 10% of the cost....

Comment

Working...
                              X