Long life antifreeze ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long life antifreeze ?

We have a 1997 , 4788 with 330 cummins we purchased last fall ,as I was changing out engine ,trans oil I noticed the anti freeze jug is the long life kind I have heard from some that it's not a good ideal to put it in older engines as the seals art made for the new formula, what's your thoughts ? Regular or long life thanks

I would highly recommend an Antifreeze made for Diesel engines... I use "Fleet Guard" and change it now as you can start with a new time line.
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

• sailor1234
      sailor1234 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks I think that's the right program as well,

Sailor, I use this: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NAFHD1GAL
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Cummins Service Bulletin 3666132-07 requires the use of a coolant meeting Cummins Engineering Standard# 14603 on all their engines. Any coolant meeting this standard, whether made by Cummins (Fleetguard) or someone else should be OK. I would recommend that coolant of different brands and types not be mixed.

Some say that Cummins engines are not sensitive to the type of coolant used. I'd rather not take any chances, so I use the Fleetguard stuff on my boat's engines.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

I agree with Norman to use what is recommended by your manufacturer. In my experience there are several quality formulas of antifreeze to use in Diesel engines. There are probably some that aren’t so good, too.

Though a good quality antifreeze is important, it is more important to NOT mix types or having residual types of antifreeze in the same coolant system. Many diesel coolants are colored. Some of those colors are not compatible and can gel inside the engine, eventually plugging internal components of the engine, transmission coolers, turbo coolers, etc, etc. In some cases it can damage internal components. I haven’t had such issues, but I have known of a couple people that have had coolant issues eventually finding it was caused by them basically just using whatever in thier engine, accidentally mixing incompatible antifreezes.

I am told that if you flush the system really well, you can use whatever antifreeze you choose without any issues. In Omega, I use the Red, Zerex Heavy duty extanded life Antifreeze. It’s a great antifreeze. I use this in all my antifreeze applications on Omega,

i hope this helps,

Attached Files
        BJ
        OMEGA

Comment

Originally posted by igiftmon View Post
          I agree with Norman to use what is recommended by your manufacturer. In my experience there are several quality formulas of antifreeze to use in Diesel engines. There are probably some that aren’t so good, too.

Though a good quality antifreeze is important, it is more important to NOT mix types or having residual types of antifreeze in the same coolant system. Many diesel coolants are colored. Some of those colors are not compatible and can gel inside the engine, eventually plugging internal components of the engine, transmission coolers, turbo coolers, etc, etc. In some cases it can damage internal components. I haven’t had such issues, but I have known of a couple people that have had coolant issues eventually finding it was caused by them basically just using whatever in thier engine, accidentally mixing incompatible antifreezes.

I am told that if you flush the system really well, you can use whatever antifreeze you choose without any issues. In Omega, I use the Red, Zerex Heavy duty extanded life Antifreeze. It’s a great antifreeze. I use this in all my antifreeze applications on Omega,

i hope this helps,
          ZEREX Extended Life is an example of an aftermarket coolant that meets Cummins Standard 14603:
          https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

If you have some reading time...coolant section starts on page 16...

I found this while researching fluids for my Cummins...maybe there will be some important info for you for coolants...and other fluids...

I think one of your questions is dealt with directly...

Hope this helps...
            Attached Files
            1988 3888 "Liberty"
            Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
            Onan 8.0
            Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

I have a 1988 3288 with 135 turbo hinos' How often is the anti-freeze suppose to be changed? I went through a big ordeal a few years ago by using the wrong color antifreeze. Flushed my engines out as best as I could and have been using this Prestone product ever since, designed to be used with any color antifreeze.

Comment

Hi bcarli

I would use an Antifreeze that meets the needs of our Hinos...not sure that "Preston" does.even at that I still change mine every second year using "Fleet Guard".
                i know Earl Summerville (the Hino guru) uses the NAPA Antifreeze as posted above by Pete.....Just my 2 cents worth.
                Brad & Sharon
                Lady Jake
                1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Working...
                X