Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I replace my engines? (4588 1988 EH700T)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1thefox1
    replied
    Originally posted by brad4550 View Post
    Your talking about the "Tube Bundles".....less expensive than the Manicoolers. It would still be worthwhile to ceramic coat the Manicoolers.
    Yes, I'm having them done in black before installing them in a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• brad4550
    replied
    Your talking about the "Tube Bundles".....less expensive than the Manicoolers. It would still be worthwhile to ceramic coat the Manicoolers.

Leave a comment:

• 1thefox1
    replied
    Sorry, I meant the heat exchangers in the mani coolers. I should start a go fund me page :P

Leave a comment:

• dmcb
    replied
    Check with Earl for Manicoolers.

Leave a comment:

• dmcb
    commented on 's reply
    Alaskan Adventure. Over the years I have seen several Cummins destroy themselves. Even with a lot more Hino's it is a very rare thing. I like Cummins and have had several including 2 right now. Just not in boats. I believe they try to get to much horsepower from the marine blocks. Everything has to be perfect for long life. Hino's are more forgiving. For example my motorhome with the 8.3 Cummins only makes 350 horsepower. In a boat the Cummins 5.9 makes more horsepower than that. Motorhomes work hard also. You have to question the reason.

• brad4550
    replied
    If you get new Manicoolers make sure you have them "Ceramic Coated"...you'll thank me later.

Leave a comment:

• 1thefox1
    replied
    ah, just found out my mani coolers are in pretty bad shape as well. Not to mention the other stuff. She's going to be like new if this keeps up!!!

Leave a comment:

• brad4550
    commented on 's reply
    What Alaskan Adventure said....I think

• 1thefox1
    replied
    Originally posted by dmcb View Post
    What he said.
    what who said?

Leave a comment:

• dmcb
    replied
    What he said.

Leave a comment:

• ALASKAN_ADVENTURER
    replied
    back to your question of should you replace your engines? not only no but Hell no! These old Hinos are the best engines I have ever owned!

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    Have you tried talking to a Hino Trucks parts guy? I’m betting there’s one for their truck motors that either came with that particular version before marinization or was put on the as part of the marine conversion by US Marine using an off the shelf part. Rule number one in converting: use as many off the shelf parts as feasible. Maybe it’s rule number three, but it’s gotta be a rule.

Leave a comment:

• capt._ron
    replied
    Something to think about is the possibility of replacing the turbo with a unit with similar specs. Several years ago the turbo on a trackhoe boned out, it was a Isuzu diesel. The dealer said there wasn’t one available and it would be 2 year wait. I checked our parts shelf of rebuilt turbos and picked one with similar plumbing for air intake and discharge. I welded up a mounting adapter for the exhaust manifold, changed out the tubes for oil supply and drain to hoses. Got the plumbing for air and exhaust to muffler all hooked up. It ran fine no smoke, no loss of power and oil samples remained same as before. I was around the machine for 4-5 more years and no more engine problems, probably 3000+ hours.

Leave a comment:

• Swimmster
    replied
    You're only getting 40hp from these turbos... The hino 175hp versions of these engines did just fine in these boats.. They were no speed queens, but that's not what you're after. But even those boats got up on plane eventually.. There's not much to removing them, or, just disassemble and remove the impellers. Leave the shaft and bearings if they are good.. No other mod required besides a minor pump adjustment.. Resale, not losing all that much.. Most people would rather not have to replace engines when purchasing..

Leave a comment:

• brad4550
    commented on 's reply
    The compression ratio IS the same.
Working...
X