Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I replace my engines? (4588 1988 EH700T)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All,

I'm sorry I just don't believe that one can just remove the turbo's and expect that the engines will function correctly. There is much more that goes into the total design of the engine then just tacking on a turbo. (Fuel flow, fuel pump, injector regulation...) Where is Smitty477 when he's really needed?

RB Cooper

Comment

I think that should be a question to ask Earl
      Future 4788 Owner
      Charleston, S.C.

Comment

Earl would be a good source for information. I did a quick Google on removing a turbo from a diesel. Not Hino specific. Sounds like It is possible. May require pump adjustments. Most researched part numbers for same engine turbo and NA. One suggested gutting the turbo and welding up the holes. That way the same exhaust could be used. Not suggesting anything, just tossing out other people's ideas.
        Doug
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned
        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Originally posted by Swimmster View Post
          Or....... Just remove the turbos all together.. Makes them 175's vs 210's.. If you're not trying to break speed records and just motor along, then dirt cheap way to continue enjoying the boat.. spend the savings on fuel and go do some traveling. Juuuuuuuust saying.. Can also look for same turbos from the truck suppliers.. I've been ordering engine pieces from truck suppliers for a fraction of the cost. ie, Coolant pump for EH700TI, marine suppliers want $6-800... Truck supplier, $167....
          This isn't a bad idea, personally I could get along just fine with less overall power.
          In any case, here a few considerations for a project involving operation of a turbo engine as a non-turbo engine:
          • Resale - significant modification from original specification can negatively effect the selling price.
          • Re-engineering the fuel system - I would expect the injectors and/or injector pump may need re calibration so the engine doesn't get seriously over fueled.
          • Compression ratio - I'm not sure if the EH700 has a different compression ratio on a turbo vs non-turbo application but it should be considered as part of the overall project.
          1995 Bayliner 3587
          Twin Hino 250HP
          Located In Sidney BC, Canada

Comment

• brad4550
            brad4550 commented
            Editing a comment
            The compression ratio IS the same.

You're only getting 40hp from these turbos... The hino 175hp versions of these engines did just fine in these boats.. They were no speed queens, but that's not what you're after. But even those boats got up on plane eventually.. There's not much to removing them, or, just disassemble and remove the impellers. Leave the shaft and bearings if they are good.. No other mod required besides a minor pump adjustment.. Resale, not losing all that much.. Most people would rather not have to replace engines when purchasing..

Comment

Something to think about is the possibility of replacing the turbo with a unit with similar specs. Several years ago the turbo on a trackhoe boned out, it was a Isuzu diesel. The dealer said there wasn’t one available and it would be 2 year wait. I checked our parts shelf of rebuilt turbos and picked one with similar plumbing for air intake and discharge. I welded up a mounting adapter for the exhaust manifold, changed out the tubes for oil supply and drain to hoses. Got the plumbing for air and exhaust to muffler all hooked up. It ran fine no smoke, no loss of power and oil samples remained same as before. I was around the machine for 4-5 more years and no more engine problems, probably 3000+ hours.
            Capt. Ron.
            "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
            "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
            1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
            Hino EH700
            Westerbeke 8.0
            1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
            on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

Have you tried talking to a Hino Trucks parts guy? I’m betting there’s one for their truck motors that either came with that particular version before marinization or was put on the as part of the marine conversion by US Marine using an off the shelf part. Rule number one in converting: use as many off the shelf parts as feasible. Maybe it’s rule number three, but it’s gotta be a rule.
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
              MMSI 367770440
              1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
              Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

back to your question of should you replace your engines? not only no but Hell no! These old Hinos are the best engines I have ever owned!
                1988 3270
                135 hinos
                Seldovia ALASKA
                KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
                KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
                Marine canvas/Upholstery
                since 1975

Comment

What he said.
                  Started boating 1955
                  Number of boats owned 32
                  Bayliners
                  3870 presently owned

Comment

Originally posted by dmcb View Post
                    What he said.
                    what who said?

Comment

• brad4550
                      brad4550 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What Alaskan Adventure said....I think

• dmcb
                      dmcb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Alaskan Adventure. Over the years I have seen several Cummins destroy themselves. Even with a lot more Hino's it is a very rare thing. I like Cummins and have had several including 2 right now. Just not in boats. I believe they try to get to much horsepower from the marine blocks. Everything has to be perfect for long life. Hino's are more forgiving. For example my motorhome with the 8.3 Cummins only makes 350 horsepower. In a boat the Cummins 5.9 makes more horsepower than that. Motorhomes work hard also. You have to question the reason.

ah, just found out my mani coolers are in pretty bad shape as well. Not to mention the other stuff. She's going to be like new if this keeps up!!!

Comment

If you get new Manicoolers make sure you have them "Ceramic Coated"...you'll thank me later.
                      Brad & Sharon
                      Lady Jake
                      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Check with Earl for Manicoolers.
                        Started boating 1955
                        Number of boats owned 32
                        Bayliners
                        3870 presently owned

Comment

Sorry, I meant the heat exchangers in the mani coolers. I should start a go fund me page :P

Comment

Your talking about the "Tube Bundles".....less expensive than the Manicoolers. It would still be worthwhile to ceramic coat the Manicoolers.
                            Brad & Sharon
                            Lady Jake
                            1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                            LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                            2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                            kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Working...
                            X