Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I replace my engines? (4588 1988 EH700T)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I replace my engines? (4588 1988 EH700T)

Both my turbo housings are cracked and it will cost 7k + taxes to get new ones. Both my risers need to be replaced, 3k + taxes. So I'm up to 11.5k, both engines have about 3k hours and run great. So I'm wondering if I should sell them for parts without the turbos and replace them with something more modern like used Cummins? Can I keep the transmissions or do I need to change them? (I have hurth transmissions)

A pair of Cummins factory reman engines will cost $51k. Labor and miscellaneous parts will cost $15k. I'd fix the turbos and risers on yours.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Our EH 700 TI needed Turbos they were "Dry Turbos" and Earl Summerville replaced them with 310 Turbos,risers,heat exchangers cleaned and ceramic coated.Guess what i'am trying to say is give him a call maybe ship parts,it can be repaired for a lot less.....Earl Summerville 1-386-383-1872
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
        A pair of Cummins factory reman engines will cost $51k. Labor and miscellaneous parts will cost $15k. I'd fix the turbos and risers on yours.
        Check out the pricing on 2 Perkins 270-300 hp turbo charged engines, these are one of the lowest cost to maintain engines you could ever find, made in the USA.
        No difference in the 2 HP versions other than injectors.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Originally posted by brad4550 View Post
          Our EH 700 TI needed Turbos they were "Dry Turbos" and Earl Summerville replaced them with 310 Turbos,risers,heat exchangers cleaned and ceramic coated.Guess what i'am trying to say is give him a call maybe ship parts,it can be repaired for a lot less.....Earl Summerville 1-386-383-1872
          Do you have an email for Earl? I had assumed that the 310 turbo were the same and seem to be easier to get. The angle is not the same but it looks like you can unbolt the housing and put it in the correct angle.

Comment

[email protected] is the latest.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
            MMSI 367770440
            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Fox, how much money do you want to put into a 1988 boat? It’s a nice boat but if you spend the dollars to fully repower you’ll have to own that boat a very long time to make it equitable which is fine as long as you know that going in. I’d repair the Hino’s.
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              [email protected]

Comment

I have a slip mate that spent almost 100,000 total to replace his old 454’s with new Cummins engines.

There is a lot more than you might think involved in switching brands.

In Cummins equipped boats you can expect to pay something in the 60,000 range for a reman swap out of the same model engine.

Believe me, I have the reciepts.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

K, I was expecting around 30-40k. There are 480HP engines now that weight the same as the Hino's, would of been cool K, I guess I'll go the repair route.

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                    I have a slip mate that spent almost 100,000 total to replace his old 454’s with new Cummins engines.

There is a lot more than you might think involved in switching brands.

In Cummins equipped boats you can expect to pay something in the 60,000 range for a reman swap out of the same model engine.

Believe me, I have the reciepts.

Prices are moving north of $60k; I paid a grand total of $66k including install a year ago. That's for two Cummins factory remans, 1:1 swap for the same exact engines: 6BTA-270 JWAC.
                    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Or....... Just remove the turbos all together.. Makes them 175's vs 210's.. If you're not trying to break speed records and just motor along, then dirt cheap way to continue enjoying the boat.. spend the savings on fuel and go do some traveling. Juuuuuuuust saying.. Can also look for same turbos from the truck suppliers.. I've been ordering engine pieces from truck suppliers for a fraction of the cost. ie, Coolant pump for EH700TI, marine suppliers want $6-800... Truck supplier, $167....

Comment

Imo, you now have the best engine in the long run. I would keep them.
                        Started boating 1955
                        Number of boats owned 32
                        Bayliners
                        3870 presently owned
                        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post

Prices are moving north of $60k; I paid a grand total of $66k including install a year ago. That's for two Cummins factory remans, 1:1 swap for the same exact engines: 6BTA-270 JWAC.
                          Pretty shocking what it really costs. People tend to really underestimate, but once you get started you are committed.

KEVIN SANDERS
                          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                          where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Originally posted by Swimmster View Post
                            Or....... Just remove the turbos all together.. Makes them 175's vs 210's.. If you're not trying to break speed records and just motor along, then dirt cheap way to continue enjoying the boat.. spend the savings on fuel and go do some traveling. Juuuuuuuust saying.. Can also look for same turbos from the truck suppliers.. I've been ordering engine pieces from truck suppliers for a fraction of the cost. ie, Coolant pump for EH700TI, marine suppliers want $6-800... Truck supplier, $167....
                            That's actually a pretty good idea. I will definitely think about that. I run 99% of the time between 1,400-1600 rpm.

Comment

Actually it is a wonderful idea. If you are not satisfied you have invested very little and are no worst off. Whatever you put in new engines will be pretty much of a loss if you want to sell it. You might shift thinking here and sell it without turbos but running well and buy and move up with the money you would spend on new motors.
                              Doug
                              Started boating 1955
                              Number of boats owned 32
                              Bayliners
                              3870 presently owned
                              Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Working...
                              X