Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission cooler replacement to do or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission cooler replacement to do or not?

Looking for comments on replacing an original transmission cooler on a 1996 250 hino wo6ta. I have not had any issues with either one and have them both off for cleaning, there was some scale with partial blockage of 2 tubes but this cleaned up easily with a muriatic acid soak. Do people recommend replacing these or simply clean and maintain? Thanks!

Depends on what kind of raw water goes through it as much as anything. Fresh water is usually kinder than salt water. I suggest having them pressure tested before you reinstall them. Iiwm, and I’m in salt water most of the time, I’d be shopping for replacements with a plan to replace them pretty soon.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Bayliner used "LENCO" for their oil coolers.I replace ours every 5 to 7 years,much cheaper than a transmission 5 SINGLE OIL COOLERS (1).pdf get the high pressure and zinc
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Seattle Radiator will disassemble &recondition your coolers- had all of mine done there. All pressure tested etc... when returned.
        Jay J.
        98' 3587 - Respite
        Twin 250 Cummins diesel
        Camano Island Wa.

Comment

I lost a transmission 20 years ago on my 3888 due to a trans oil cooler that leaked salt water into the oil. Transmission repair shop told me majority of trans failures due to cooler failures and they recommend every 5 years. They only cost me somewhere around $100 a piece. The transmisiion 20 years ago cost me $6,000. You do the math.

Comment

When in doubt Replace
            Destiny
            Bayliner 5288
            Port Ludlow, WA

Comment

Those coolers need to be pressure tested inside the tubes and in the water cooling side.
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

To me it came down to a simple risk benefit decision. If replacements were more expensive I might be more inclined to gamble. A couple of new coolers from Lenco for under a few hundred bucks and I never looked back. Pressure testing will tell you that they are ok today, the challenge is the remaining wall thickness and how long they will last. If you are in the northwest, Fisheries Supply has a good assortment of coolers as well. Good luck.
                Rick
                1994, 3288

Comment

Does anyone have a source in the south Puget Sound for replacement coolers?
                  Chris & Kari
                  Nauti Angel
                  1989 4588 Tacoma, WA

Comment

Go online and GOOGLE "marine transmission coolers"
                    Try eBay, or Fisheries supply in Seattle.
                    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                    Twin 350 GM power
                    Located in Seward, AK
                    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I replaced both of mine when I bought the boat 8 years ago. Just replaced them again over the winter. For ~$300 each, it is pretty good insurance and a pretty easy job on the 4588.
                      Patrick and Patti
                      4588 Pilothouse 1991
                      12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                      M/V "Paloma"
                      MMSI # 338142921

Comment

There are three manufacturers of transmission coolers in Bellingham. I walked mine in and had them back, rebuilt, in 2 days. It was very reasonable.
                        SeaKamp, SanJuan, and Orca. I've used all but Orca over the last 20 years for parts and service with great results. I know they OEM for other 'brand' coolers.
                        They suggest, with or without zinc, 7 years is a good guide.
                        Tally and Vicki
                        "Wickus" Meridian 341
                        MMSI 338014939

Comment

Replace it. Even if pressure tested successfully you don't know how much material is still left. 5-7yrs is cheap insurance.

1989 3888
                          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Working...
                          X