X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we are currently looking at buying a 4087 and pros or cons to look for
    2001 4788
    Knott again

I'll let the actual owners speak up, but I have spent enough time on both. Pros from a passenger perspective are lots of contiguous space outside, walk arounds to the bow (nice seating pad up there) and a nice master suite. Nice guest space and separation. Cons are stairs everywhere like any rear cabin boat, tight engine space. Boat is tall and gets pushed around. I found driving to be a huge challenge compared to my dinky 32. Lots of pricey canvas. I would want a bow thruster and the 4087 not the 35, the ride is better on the larger boat. Anyway view from the cheap seats, I don't own one.

Comment

Had my 4087 about 10 years. We view stairs compared with ladders a plus. Getting older people up on th flybridge on a 3988 or equivalent is tough, even getting food and drink can be a challenge. Things we like. Separation between master and guest state room. Third state room for storage or grand kids. Semi displacement hull allows for economical ‘level’ cruising at lower speeds 7-10knots we burn about 5gal per our for both engines. Will also do 24+ knots on a good day if you are in a hurry but will eat diesel. You can cruise quite nicely at 16-18 knots for about 12-14gph, depending on wind and current. They tend to be a bit bow heavy so putting a dinghy on a Ross Kelly type davit off the swim platform is no problem. Some 3988’s can be a bit stern heavy. Like the propane stove, easy to brew coffee, can put pizza in the oven etc. We only have a Honda 2000 when we are on the hook, no built in genset. Its more of an outdoor social boat, lazrette, sunbridge and flybridge all provide good seating areas. What we don’t. If weather is crap, down stairs salon gets a bit crowded with more than 4 people. Blows around like a leaf in windy weather, I put a bow thruster in. Small fuel tanks 220 gallons. Probably total range just over 300 miles. Very tight engine space, port engine, port side when doing impellars etc. We’ve had opportunity to ‘move up’ to larger boat, but stuck with this from the long term economics point of view. Mine is 1996 with 250 turbo Cummings, great engines, have 2000 hours on and expect I can do another 2000. PM me if you have specifics, I’m a big fan of 4087’’s our family with grandkids and cat love it. Several friends with 3988’s also a great boat, better looking in my opinion and bigger entertaining inside.Click image for larger version

Name:	271755D5-DC2E-41A9-A698-2E1DD641B349.jpeg
Views:	371
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	490203
      1996 4087 Lazy Days
      2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
      2011 Porsche Cayman
      2010 Lexus IS 250C
      2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

We owned a 2001 4087 with Cummins 330BTA’s for almost 5 years. Like most boats there are compromises, and I have always noticed that one owner’s Pros are another owners Cons. Here are my opinions;

PROS.
        By far, one of the main advantages of these boats is the cabin separation, with separate heads and showers, and everyone can retain modesty and comfort at all times.
        The dinette is a real asset seating four comfortably, and five at a pinch.
        Excellent sleeping accommodations in aft master with walk-around island queen sized bed, nice vanity and sink, with a separate head and separate shower. Lots of storage with closet and drawers. Good guest cabin in bow which is a proper double bed and not an impossible to make V-berth.
        The additional bed below the sole plate is larger than people think, but a bit claustrophobic with low ceiling height. It has an interesting storage locker behind the hinged headboard, but the access panel to the engine room, batteries and machinery room dictates that the bed is kept fairly clear, so it’s not a great storage area.
        I found access to the engines via the lift out floor, lift out aft cabin steps and removable panels in the master and lower forward berth to be just fine.
        The aft deck will become the go-to outside space in any raft-up with lots of room for chairs, and there’s lots of room on the flybridge which forms a part of this space.
        The steps around the boat are a pro and a con. We had a 70lb dog that could be with us anywhere on the boat, and it’s easy to move around for the less agile people. The con is that every time you move, you’re facing steps, including when the boat is being loaded.
        You will always maintain a good waterline level at the stern, unlike most other boats where tenders or crap over time has them really tail heavy.

CONS
        The main salon is disappointing if more than two people are on board. The dinette is good to sit at, but not to relax at, and there’s only a 2-3 seat sofa after that. The layout is such, that no good conversation can take place without talking to the back of someone’s head. Forget having a sensible place to watch TV or a movie unless it’s a flat panel in the staterooms, the salon is hopeless in that respect.
        The access to the lazarette and generator are sketchy, and there’s not really much storage down there as level surfaces are used by the boat systems. You will always find water below the generator, and it’s a real PITA to keep it pumped out and dry.
        These boats are fairly narrow beamed and the superstructure/ hardtop is quite high. In normal conditions this is no issue, but gets a little uncomfortable in rough water. There’s no easy way to say it, but these boats are a real bugger to handle in a following sea. This is due to a combination of very high flotation in the stern, coupled to the props and rudder being even further forward than the cockpit - it takes some getting used to.
        The first job on these boats is to take the lower helm seat home until you sell the boat. It’s guaranteed that the stupid chair will roll into the gear shift lever preventing you getting into, or even worse getting out of gear at a crucial time, or old Uncle Charlie will turn the seat and lean back, causing the same situation.

In summary, when comparing the 4087 to the next boat we owned (M490) we used to say that by day, the 490 had better and more accommodations, but by night, the 4087 was amazing where the accommodations far exceeded those of the M490 in every way. It’s the most boat you will ever achieve in the 40 foot class.
        Rob
        Bayliner 5788
        'Merlin V'
        Vancouver BC

Comment

Working...
        X