3988 flooring upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3988 flooring upgrade

After much consideration we have decided to remove the carpet from the boat and replace with a manufactured teak product recommended by our upholstery guy.

the original thought was how hard can it be....

we have learned that the carpet goes the full width of the boat, then the interior is installed over it. To make it better the padding is glued down as well as the carpet glued to the padding.

then there is the glue remaining on the floor after you cut and scrape everything. Mineral spirits finally cleaned it all up now on to staple pulling.

while at it all the wallpaper was removed, floor at the bottom of the stairs and holding tank pulled for inspection and some plumbing changes eliminating the Y valve.

what was I thinking, but cannot wait for the end result.
    3988 Cummins

I hope this started out with "hold my beer" but you got your beer back shortly after starting.
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian
    1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

It has been taxing thus far, have to admit that. Then end result will be awesome and beers will be consumed during the process. I am generally terrible with documenting the process but will try to post more pics.

Last year I reupholstered all the walls in the salon and rebuilt the corner where the water is known to leak into the salon. Another good time.

3988 Cummins

Comment

Please do post final pictures. Interested in seeing the end result, thank you. i have just purchased the materials to hardwood my 2001 3988. Thanks for the heads up on glue and staples, sounds like I'll need more than a six pack.
        Owner of a 2001 Bayliner 3988 Command Bridge
        Twin 330hp 6BTA Cummins Diesels
        Boating New York Harbour

Comment

What did you use to remove the wallpaper? I’ve got that on my list too.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
            What did you use to remove the wallpaper? I’ve got that on my list too.
            the wall paper peeled off, some i had to cut in pieces but overall was not terrible to remove. I purchased glue to wallpaper bathrooms as recommended online by others.
            3988 Cummins

Comment

Originally posted by scampbell18 View Post
              Please do post final pictures. Interested in seeing the end result, thank you. i have just purchased the materials to hardwood my 2001 3988. Thanks for the heads up on glue and staples, sounds like I'll need more than a six pack.
              I'll make sure to take a bunch of pics as well as anything we run into causing difficulty. Make sure to buy plenty of blades for your knife. you will be going through them. What are you putting in for flooring?
              3988 Cummins

Comment

I used: https://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-re...grade-flooring

They have several different tints and colors, I think 11 colors.

You can buy it in sheets or plank style.
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I'm thinking of doing the same to my 2001 3988 so please follow up on your progress and let us know how you like it compared to carpet. I was initially looking at a product called Nautikflor, but am also considering a flooring that is "warmer", such as Infinity flooring. A friend of mine did some flooring work on his 39 and mentioned that it's definitely a good idea to remove the carpeting under the refrigerator, (bad that they manufactured it this way). He found this carpeting and underlaying wood to be in poor shape due to water damage. We'll be waiting for pictures and your comments. Thanks!
                  Alex
                  Orange County, Ca.
                  2001 3988
                  Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

I had carpet replaced on my 4087-what a job, really glad I didnt’t attempt it. Bayliner must have had stock in staples back in the day, there were 1000’s to remove. We were going to go with wood, but in the end went with new carpet.
                    Friend of mine went with wood and it turned our the be very slippery when coming inside with wet feet. We loved the end result, knocked years of my 1996 boat, definitely the best ‘cosmetic’ thing we’ve done.
                    We added comp wooden flooring to the back of the treads to stop heal marks.
                    1996 4087 Lazy Days
                    2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
                    2011 Porsche Cayman
                    2010 Lexus IS 250C
                    2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	9957838B-AC62-4EF4-874B-BD07695165AA.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	488386
                      Originally posted by Machog View Post
                      I had carpet replaced on my 4087-what a job, really glad I didnt’t attempt it. Bayliner must have had stock in staples back in the day, there were 1000’s to remove. We were going to go with wood, but in the end went with new carpet.
                      Friend of mine went with wood and it turned our the be very slippery when coming inside with wet feet. We loved the end result, knocked years of my 1996 boat, definitely the best ‘cosmetic’ thing we’ve done.
                      We added comp wooden flooring to the back of the treads to stop heal marks.
                      Attached Files
                      1996 4087 Lazy Days
                      2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
                      2011 Porsche Cayman
                      2010 Lexus IS 250C
                      2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

"After much consideration we have decided to remove the carpet from the boat"

I also considered replacing the carpet in my 3988 when I first got it, but "after much consideration and a few beers" I decided to just get it professionally cleaned instead.

I can't wait to see the finished product.
                        Greg
                        1999 Bayliner 3988
                        Twin Cummins 6BTA 270hp
                        Malaspina Strait, BC

Comment

We are about to embark on a similar project on our Meridian 490. Removing carpet and putting down Amtico (teak and holly look). We are having it done professionally up in La Conner (example of a recent similar job - http://slowboat.com/2019/01/new-airs...ore-and-after/).

We may attempt some carpet removal ahead of time to reduce overall cost, but the effort involved is not encouraging ;-)

Keep posting pictures!
                          GMS
                          2008 Meridian 490
                          2010 ArrowCat Express 30 (sold)

Comment

i will have some more this weekend, Its the glue and staples.... sure used a lot of both. Mineral spirits do the trick, after a few days the odor dissipates.
                            I have someone doing the install and will have plenty of pics there also.
                            3988 Cummins

Comment

We pulled the all the carpet and replaced with Lonseal teak and holly in the salon, carpet in hallway and staterooms. Removal is tedious. Buy a good scraper, plyers and screw driver. We had to build out all the hatches because carpet takes up ore room than the teak trimming. It We epoxied, screwed and nailed 1/4” sanded plywood in the areas that were getting Lonseal. It provided a smooth surface to lay the Lonseal on. It turned out great!

if I were doing it over, I would just have used 1/4” teak and holly plywood. It might not be as durable, but it would have been easier.
                              2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                              12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                              MV Kia Orana
                              Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Working...
                              X