3888 Search Light Removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3888 Search Light Removal

I am in the process of painting the outside of the fly bridge. In this process I need to remove the search light located in the front. It is screwed down with four screws, however these just keep turning as the nuts behind turn with it. So it looks like I am going to have to remove the whole stand that it is bolted to. Having looked at the underneath I can see that these must have been installed before they put the fly bridge on the boat when they were building it. I could not get in far enough to see what type of bolts they were using, however it looked like phillips head screws which means I will most like need a stump type screw driver as there is not enough height to get a full bladed screw driver in there.

I am hoping some one has done this job before. I have to replace the search light anyway because it has really had it and the control switch has corroded as well. I am also wondering what to replace it with.
    Hugh
    1990 3888
    Hino 175 Diesels

Yeah, about getting in there....I still have the aft two bolts keeping mine on. One of my sons went in the center locker once. He’s not going back. Well, he would except number one grandson can get in there much easier. Something about 17 vs 32 and size. From what I understand the bolts and screws are really long. The aft ones could probably be removed with a battery driver. My son was using an end wrench. I just need to work on one of the gears.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Had a similar issue on a Formula... I ended up using a Dremel tool to cut three of the bolts that I got loose enough to pull slack up to get under the head. The other, I ground the head down and it came off. Left the bolts in the space, they were stainless anyway. Just and out of the box thought..
      Chris & Kari
      Nauti Angel
      1989 4588 Tacoma, WA

Comment

Wanted to remove mine over the winter so I could rebuild the light and buff the gelcoat...those are now 30+ year old ss screws into aluminum :| I striped one out, probably have to cut the heads off with a dremel tool and try and get the base to my shop...I will reinstall the base with studs and probably make a mounting plate for the light for easier future removal. Good luck!
        . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

Thank you for your replies, I was hoping there might be an easy way to do this, but sought of knew there wasn't. I think it is almost impossible to get the spotlight stand off the fly bridge. So like you have stated I think I will have to cut the base of the spotlight off. It may cause a bit of damage doing it this way, but seeing that I am painting the flybridge I will be able to repair the damage when I finally get the thing off. I will let you know once I have completed it.
          Hugh
          1990 3888
          Hino 175 Diesels

Comment

It can be done by going around the center locker. The two aft screws weren't bad, the forward screws are easier if someone is pulling the light cowl away from the flybridge as you loosen the screws. I believe I used a right angle drill.
            1989 3888
            Hino 210's

Comment

Originally posted by Pflat View Post
              It can be done by going around the center locker. The two aft screws weren't bad, the forward screws are easier if someone is pulling the light cowl away from the flybridge as you loosen the screws. I believe I used a right angle drill.
              Thank you I will try getting to it from the sides when I get there tomorrow. I don't have a right angle drill but have a right angled screw driver. Will let you know how I go with it.
              Hugh
              1990 3888
              Hino 175 Diesels

Comment

One way to deal with it may be to cut around the base of the light. To put it back on create a piece of something like starboard large enough to cover the hole, drill holes through that piece and the boat, epoxy bolts from the underside making them perpendicular to the plate and just long enough to protrude through the plate. Use acorn nuts to fasten the plate to the bolts. Mount the searchlight to the plate.
                Tony Bacon,
                Washougal, WA
                Caspian
                1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

The thru bolts on the mounting bracket are a bear to get to - but I was able to get on my back through the center locker. It is tough but doable for this senior citizen. The nuts were frozen and the bolts just turned. Dremel or grinding nuts off worked for removal. Installed with longer bolts that in the future I could double nut and remove the holding nut. Actually worked as I had to remove it again five years later.
                  Ron O'Blenis
                  B 38 175 Hinos 1989
                  On Great Loop
                  https://ronandfaye.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well I got rid of the old search light, it was a bit simpler than I thought. I dismantled the old search light as much as I could. This gave me room to drill out the old screw heads that held it in place, 3 in total, once removed I cut the wires and now it is gone. I am going to replace the light, but was surprised at the cost of it. So the new light won't be the same, I have seen remote lights way cheaper than that.
                    Hugh
                    1990 3888
                    Hino 175 Diesels

Comment

Working...
                    X