Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knothome4788
    commented on 's reply
    Yes. Very helpful. You could very well hit the old Tankwatch plate with some flat black spray paint. Which, of corse, you already knew . . .

• Woodsea
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you Pat. This is very helpful!
    Steve

• cosmo777
    replied
    To give you some ideas for the holding tank gauge, I took the old holding tank panel and drilled a hole and square to mount the gauge and switch. (As you can see, I hacked it up a bit with the hole saw - serves me right for not using the right tools for the right job, no vice to hold it). Its a momentary-ON switch so it only reads when in use (not constantly). If I remember, I had to open up the cutout in the hardwood panel behind it to get the gauge and switch to fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4257.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	484803

Leave a comment:

• cosmo777
    commented on 's reply
    I measured mine today, its about 14" outside to outside. So far the 12" has worked like a champ, other than every holding tank carries a little waste in the very bottom and it reads this so never quite reads empty.

The holding tank sensor has a flange that goes inside the tank to get a super tight fit when the outer flange and gasket are tightened down. It looks like a "C" to allow it to get inside the hole. Then you screw in just one screw between inner flange and outer flange to get it loosely secure, then align the holes and screw in the rest. I used a string tied to the "C" so that if I did drop it, I could retrieve it. After the first screw is secure, it can come off.

• Woodsea
    replied
    Pat,
    it appears you used a 12” deep holding tank sensor? Just going off my memory of crawling around, isn't the holding tank more like 18” deep? Any disadvantages? How does flange of the sending unit install? It looks like there is a kind of mating flange that goes inside the tank?? Thanks for your input! I have been crawling in front of the S engine and holding a flashlight on the side of the tank to determine level. This looks a lot more elegant.
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Knothome4788
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. Confirmed my assumptions about wiring.

• cosmo777
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, the first two were water sensors. I didn't change the fuel sensors since I have Floscans installed.
    For the water sensors, I used the existing wiring and already had a gauge that was similar to the WEMA holding tank gauge.
    There is a (MOM ON)-OFF-(MOM ON) switch attached to the water tank gauge that gives water levels as (FWD)-OFF-(AFT)

• Knothome4788
    replied
    I assume the first two were sensors for the large and small water tanks. Access to the stbd fuel tank sender is pretty straightforward and I assume port and stbd are a matched set. I also assume that you used the existing set up for the water tanks and that you replaced the oops idiot light with the WE A holding tank gauge.

Leave a comment:

• Knothome4788
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Pat. Really appreciate your help.

• cosmo777
    replied
    Originally posted by cosmo777 View Post
    There are WEMA sensors for water tanks and a different one for the holding tank. Water tank sensors have float that moves up and down on a shaft. The holding tank sensor has a shroud around it so it doesn't get clogged with muck.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/wema...er-tank-sensor

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/wema...ng-tank-sensor

The WEMA sensor for my water tanker were plug-n-play. The screw holes aligned perfectly. For the holding tank, the sensor is mounted a bit differently with a ring that goes on the inside of the tank. You may have to drill a hole or two. But its necessary so that you get a airtight seal to prevent odor.

The best way to get the proper length WEMA sensor is to measure the depth at your location (using a wood dowel or similar) and then get one 1/2" to 1" shorter. WEMA won't know since it varies based on tank, location, etc.

I bought mine at Fisheries. I'll see if I can find an invoice on the ones I bought.
    Just found the sensors I purchased:
    - WEM SSL19
    - WEM SSL10.5
    - WEM SHS12 (holding tank)
    - WEM HTG (holding tank gauge)

Leave a comment:

• cosmo777
    replied
    There are WEMA sensors for water tanks and a different one for the holding tank. Water tank sensors have float that moves up and down on a shaft. The holding tank sensor has a shroud around it so it doesn't get clogged with muck.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/wema...er-tank-sensor

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/wema...ng-tank-sensor

The WEMA sensor for my water tanker were plug-n-play. The screw holes aligned perfectly. For the holding tank, the sensor is mounted a bit differently with a ring that goes on the inside of the tank. You may have to drill a hole or two. But its necessary so that you get a airtight seal to prevent odor.

The best way to get the proper length WEMA sensor is to measure the depth at your location (using a wood dowel or similar) and then get one 1/2" to 1" shorter. WEMA won't know since it varies based on tank, location, etc.

I bought mine at Fisheries. I'll see if I can find an invoice on the ones I bought.

Leave a comment:

• Knothome4788
    replied
    Also - are the smaller holes for gauges that are cut into the 4788 pilot house dash 2 1/16” / 52mm? I won’t be at the boat for a few weeks and once I figure out which senders to order (part numbers and lengths) I plan to order so I have them ready to install in March.

Leave a comment:

• Knothome4788
    replied
    Okay now I know to use WEMA senders (now KUS). I’m inspired to correct all the wonky sender/gauge combos - water, fuel, black water. How do I know what model and length? Do I have to disassemble, measure, reassemble, order, wait, receive, and then finally replace? Or will the fine folks at WEMA/KUS know just what I need based on the 4788? Or one of the ultrafine BOC members?!?

Leave a comment:

• Knothome4788
    commented on 's reply
    WOO HOO!!! Thank you! Can I ask one more favor? Part numbers or URL links? Now all I need is info for the water tanks! Can I use similar WEMA senders?

• Knothome4788
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. I did find that access panel. I also need to replace the corroded thru hull side vent fitting. My next place to look for vent tube and sender access is behind the ice maker.
Working...
X