4788 holding tank access - vent hose and sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 holding tank access - vent hose and sender

i know search is my friend and I’m pretty good a Boolean searches but no luck on what I thought might be a common question regarding 4788 holding tank access.

first - I want to replace the old vent line, add a Big Orange in line filter I purchased, and replace the vent fitting. I know how to access the inside of the vent fitting by removing the access panel on the hull side of the bar sink cabinet. How in the heck do you get access to replace all of the vent hose and put in new hose (with access to remove and replace hose clamps)?

second - how does one access the holding tank level sender? I want to replace the sender with something that will feed a real honest to goodness gauge instead of the asinine “idiot light” that only tells you the tank is full (and that’s really handy in an anchorage). Any suggestions for replacement senders and gauges and insight about wiring?

of all the “upgrades” I can think of, these two fixes would go a long way to making a longer cruise a lot more relaxing
    Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
    Sammamish WA
    1998 4788 (April 2018)
    ”Knot Home”

Hi Gordon,

I had a venting issue as well and was pretty sure I needed to replace the line and add a filter. I spent some quality time in our engine room pondering exactly the questions you're asking and didn't find a simple solution. I will happily admit I am a novice with the boat (just finished our rookie season) but there was nothing that I saw that made me think there was a lazy way to accomplish the task from downstairs.

Looking for an easier way, I traced the line up the gunwale and went hunting for access to the vent attachment point, which lead me to the access panel in the stbd cabinet. Upon removal of the panel, the vent line is right there and I spliced the line and installed my filter (home-made BTW, inspired by this guy). Problem solved.

In the end, I did not change the vent line. My issue was simply not having a filter on the vent line itself. I would recommend this approach- try just adding the filter and see if you actually need to replace the line. It was quite straightforward. Replacing the line was not, although again, someone else with more experience on 47's may chime in to the contrary.

As for the sender, I didn't look into it. Please post to share what you end up doing as I would agree, it'd be super handy to have something with more than binary resolution.

Chris
    Chris & Bethany
    Sleep Walk - 1999 4788 w/330 Cummins
    New to us in October 2017
    Moored in Anacortes, WA

Sold: 1994 2855 Rosalita 7.4L B2 2013-2017

Comment

• Knothome4788
      Knothome4788 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I did find that access panel. I also need to replace the corroded thru hull side vent fitting. My next place to look for vent tube and sender access is behind the ice maker.

You can upgrade your current tank watch monitor to one that has three sensor switches on it. That gives you 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 full. For about the same price you can pick up a SeeLevel II from Garnet industries. The SeeLevel supports multiple tanks and provides readings in 5% increments from 0 to 100%. Downsides of the SeeLevel is that you have to have access to the side of the tank to install the self adhesive sender on the outside and you have to remember to keep an eye on the level whereas I believe tank watch will give a red light like your current monitor that you might notice. As I understood it the current tank watch you have lights up at about 3/4 full so even though the light is lit the tank is not yet full. Maybe someone will chime in on how much capacity you might expect. You may find that you have an entire day for a couple before you need to get to the pump out.
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian
    1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

For the holding tank sender, under the starboard salon settee there is a small carpeted hatch (about 5"x5"). This hatch is for access to the holding tank sender. I replaced mine with a WEMA sender and then at the breaker panel installed a gauge with momentary switch that shows the tank level.

For the holding tank vent line, at the removable panel under the bar unit the line will run down and aft and go through an opening into the engine room and to the tank. The easiest way to snake a replacement line is to attach new hose to old hose with a plastic barbed union and use the old hose to pull the new line in place. On some 4788 models, you may find a holding tank filter behind the removable panel that can simply be replaced.
      Pat
      Paragon
      1999 4788

Comment

• Knothome4788
        Knothome4788 commented
        Editing a comment
        WOO HOO!!! Thank you! Can I ask one more favor? Part numbers or URL links? Now all I need is info for the water tanks! Can I use similar WEMA senders?

Okay now I know to use WEMA senders (now KUS). I’m inspired to correct all the wonky sender/gauge combos - water, fuel, black water. How do I know what model and length? Do I have to disassemble, measure, reassemble, order, wait, receive, and then finally replace? Or will the fine folks at WEMA/KUS know just what I need based on the 4788? Or one of the ultrafine BOC members?!?
      Sammamish WA
      1998 4788 (April 2018)
      ”Knot Home”

Comment

Also - are the smaller holes for gauges that are cut into the 4788 pilot house dash 2 1/16” / 52mm? I won’t be at the boat for a few weeks and once I figure out which senders to order (part numbers and lengths) I plan to order so I have them ready to install in March.
        Sammamish WA
        1998 4788 (April 2018)
        ”Knot Home”

Comment

There are WEMA sensors for water tanks and a different one for the holding tank. Water tank sensors have float that moves up and down on a shaft. The holding tank sensor has a shroud around it so it doesn't get clogged with muck.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/wema...er-tank-sensor

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/wema...ng-tank-sensor

The WEMA sensor for my water tanker were plug-n-play. The screw holes aligned perfectly. For the holding tank, the sensor is mounted a bit differently with a ring that goes on the inside of the tank. You may have to drill a hole or two. But its necessary so that you get a airtight seal to prevent odor.

The best way to get the proper length WEMA sensor is to measure the depth at your location (using a wood dowel or similar) and then get one 1/2" to 1" shorter. WEMA won't know since it varies based on tank, location, etc.

I bought mine at Fisheries. I'll see if I can find an invoice on the ones I bought.
          Pat
          Paragon
          1999 4788

Comment

• Knothome4788
            Knothome4788 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Pat. Really appreciate your help.

Originally posted by cosmo777 View Post
          There are WEMA sensors for water tanks and a different one for the holding tank. Water tank sensors have float that moves up and down on a shaft. The holding tank sensor has a shroud around it so it doesn't get clogged with muck.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/wema...er-tank-sensor

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/wema...ng-tank-sensor

The WEMA sensor for my water tanker were plug-n-play. The screw holes aligned perfectly. For the holding tank, the sensor is mounted a bit differently with a ring that goes on the inside of the tank. You may have to drill a hole or two. But its necessary so that you get a airtight seal to prevent odor.

The best way to get the proper length WEMA sensor is to measure the depth at your location (using a wood dowel or similar) and then get one 1/2" to 1" shorter. WEMA won't know since it varies based on tank, location, etc.

I bought mine at Fisheries. I'll see if I can find an invoice on the ones I bought.
          Just found the sensors I purchased:
          - WEM SSL19
          - WEM SSL10.5
          - WEM SHS12 (holding tank)
          - WEM HTG (holding tank gauge)
          Pat
          Paragon
          1999 4788

Comment

I assume the first two were sensors for the large and small water tanks. Access to the stbd fuel tank sender is pretty straightforward and I assume port and stbd are a matched set. I also assume that you used the existing set up for the water tanks and that you replaced the oops idiot light with the WE A holding tank gauge.
            Sammamish WA
            1998 4788 (April 2018)
            ”Knot Home”

Comment

• cosmo777
              cosmo777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, the first two were water sensors. I didn't change the fuel sensors since I have Floscans installed.
              For the water sensors, I used the existing wiring and already had a gauge that was similar to the WEMA holding tank gauge.
              There is a (MOM ON)-OFF-(MOM ON) switch attached to the water tank gauge that gives water levels as (FWD)-OFF-(AFT)

• Knothome4788
              Knothome4788 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. Confirmed my assumptions about wiring.

Pat,
            it appears you used a 12” deep holding tank sensor? Just going off my memory of crawling around, isn't the holding tank more like 18” deep? Any disadvantages? How does flange of the sending unit install? It looks like there is a kind of mating flange that goes inside the tank?? Thanks for your input! I have been crawling in front of the S engine and holding a flashlight on the side of the tank to determine level. This looks a lot more elegant.
            Steve
            2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
            12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
            MV Kia Orana
            Currently Alameda CA

Comment

• cosmo777
              cosmo777 commented
              Editing a comment
              I measured mine today, its about 14" outside to outside. So far the 12" has worked like a champ, other than every holding tank carries a little waste in the very bottom and it reads this so never quite reads empty.

The holding tank sensor has a flange that goes inside the tank to get a super tight fit when the outer flange and gasket are tightened down. It looks like a "C" to allow it to get inside the hole. Then you screw in just one screw between inner flange and outer flange to get it loosely secure, then align the holes and screw in the rest. I used a string tied to the "C" so that if I did drop it, I could retrieve it. After the first screw is secure, it can come off.

To give you some ideas for the holding tank gauge, I took the old holding tank panel and drilled a hole and square to mount the gauge and switch. (As you can see, I hacked it up a bit with the hole saw - serves me right for not using the right tools for the right job, no vice to hold it). Its a momentary-ON switch so it only reads when in use (not constantly). If I remember, I had to open up the cutout in the hardwood panel behind it to get the gauge and switch to fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4257.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	484803
            Pat
            Paragon
            1999 4788

Comment

• Woodsea
              Woodsea commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Pat. This is very helpful!
              Steve

• Knothome4788
              Knothome4788 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. Very helpful. You could very well hit the old Tankwatch plate with some flat black spray paint. Which, of corse, you already knew . . .
          Working...
          X