No announcement yet.

Portlight Covers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was able to take one over to SomeSailor to see if he could make some. The port covers have a reverse where they go over the hinges that prevents them from being made via vacuum forming. It appears as though these were injection molded or something.
    Looks like the search continues for a replacement source.
    Patrick and Patti
    4588 Pilothouse 1991
    12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
    M/V "Paloma"
    MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Found a 3D printing company that could make port light covers. It would require some start up capital so I'm looking for a count of those who are seriously interested in purchasing one or more. The cost is guesstimated at $75-$100 each. One potential advantage is that you could select most any color including wood grain. The cover model we are talking about is shown in the first post. Thx, Bruce
      "Impasse". 2001 3988
      Cummins 330's
      Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Comment

My wife hangs a face cloth over the head and shower port lights. Man, you gotta' have some awesome eyes to see in these ports
        holes. Plus you'd have to have you face glued to see anything. Plus, who would want to at our age!!!

Here's what I did. Take a piece of red or brown Scotch -Brite and scuff up the lense. Takes a few minutes and Presto, security glass like you might have at home.

SIMPLE SIMON

Comment

• Woodsea
          Woodsea commented
          Editing a comment
          That makes some sense! Another way is to take buy some frosted thin plastic and just cut out pieces to fit the glass and use some of the removable adhesive to attach.

• Bobhicks
          Bobhicks commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife does the facecloth thing as well, lol. As you say who would bother at our age. I like the Scotch-Brite idea and will do that when I get back to the boat.

If we can get confirmed orders for 20~25 we can get them for about $65 each not including shipping. The start up costs are about $500 to do the reverse design work, 3d modeling and proto-typing. As Bruce mentioned we can get colors and these covers would be more robust than the OEM version. There is also the option to have a name or symbol added for that custom look. Respond if you are willing to commit to ordering and how many want and if you want color other than white. Adding a design and or name would add probably 10~15 dollars to the price.
        Guntar
        1999 3988
        Cummins 270s

Comment

Does anyone know how many port lite covers our boats originally came with?

I would like to have a cover for 9 ports but at $60 each, I’m inclined to do something else like frosting a piece of thin plastic to layover the glass.
          2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
          12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
          MV Kia Orana
          Currently Alameda CA

Comment

They make frosted window tint. It’s white and not black. Inexpensive way to frost without ruining the plexiglass. It allows light through but gives a frosted effect
            James
            Kai Nani, Redondo Beach
            1989 MY 3288
            Hino 135hp with Hurth 630A Trannies

Comment

Working...
            X