38 - Cummins Fresh Water Flush...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38 - Cummins Fresh Water Flush...?

Wondering if anybody has installed some form of fresh water flushing for their Cummins...?

I'm thinking of a valve tapped into the top of the strainers that would be connected to some gravity-fed 5-gal bucket...? Not as a permanent install but an "as needed" basis.

Seems like this could also be used for winterizing the engines...

Your thoughts...?

Thanks in advance...
    1988 3888 "Liberty"
    Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
    Onan 8.0
    Boating Raritan Bay

I simply open the cover on the Perko strainers and put a hose in to flush then start the engines for a few minutes. Same process when winerizing but I put a 5 gallon winterizing jug over the open floor hatch in the salon and run a hose into the strainer so when I start the engine I can open the valve on the jug. Shut the engine down from the lower helm once it’s empty.
    That said, Perko does have a strainer cover with integrated valve and hose adapter.
    https://www.perko.com/catalog/catego...re/product/55/

James
    1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
    Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
    Lowrance Electronics!
    MMSI
    VHF
    CFA 2587
    Boating on Georgian Bay
    Currently on the Great Loop

Comment

Yup fresh water flushing fittings hooked up to the strainer with a SHUT OFF VALVE ...
      will save you thousands of dollars in raw water components maintenance costs.
      there's a good thread on Seaboard marine.
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

NickP: I have used these Groco Flush kits in every boat I've owned and they are wonderful. I flush my salt side with freshwater every time I come back to homeport. It only takes 10 minutes per engine and worth it in my opinion. I come back and shut the engine sea valve and connect up the hose to the inlet of strainer. I open up the sea valve and turn on the dock hose and startup the engine. After a minute I shut the sea valve and now only freshwater is flushing the engine and exiting through the exhaust port. I do this for about 5 minutes or so and even go the extra by flushing Saltaway mixture at the end of the cycle. You will see the exhaust burp foamy salt-away and after a several burps I turn off hose at the strainer at the same time pull solenoid plunger locally to shut off the fuel rack which shutdown the engine. The kit comes with a fitting for your strainer - hose barb on one side and MPT on the other. It is fairly simple to install. I took that opportunity to actually replace the strainers at the same time which makes the project easier and new intake Trident brand hoses for a complete install. I believe this will save me later on heat exchangers and risers. NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO ORDER THIS KIT PLUS A MALE ADAPTER FOR HOSE CONNECTION.
        MY 3988
        M/V MMPOWRD
        Poulsbo, WA

Comment

Originally posted by MacPhid View Post
          I simply open the cover on the Perko strainers and put a hose in to flush then start the engines for a few minutes. Same process when winerizing but I put a 5 gallon winterizing jug over the open floor hatch in the salon and run a hose into the strainer so when I start the engine I can open the valve on the jug. Shut the engine down from the lower helm once it’s empty.
          That said, Perko does have a strainer cover with integrated valve and hose adapter.
          https://www.perko.com/catalog/catego...re/product/55/

James
          Thinkin' along the same lines...that kit is sweet...thanks
          1988 3888 "Liberty"
          Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
          Onan 8.0
          Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post
            Yup fresh water flushing fittings hooked up to the strainer with a SHUT OFF VALVE ...
            will save you thousands of dollars in raw water components maintenance costs.
            there's a good thread on Seaboard marine.
            Yup...I like the idea of having a valve to control the water and pressure into the raw water pump...thanks...
            1988 3888 "Liberty"
            Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
            Onan 8.0
            Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Bay39 View Post
              NickP: I have used these Groco Flush kits in every boat I've owned and they are wonderful. I flush my salt side with freshwater every time I come back to homeport. It only takes 10 minutes per engine and worth it in my opinion. I come back and shut the engine sea valve and connect up the hose to the inlet of strainer. I open up the sea valve and turn on the dock hose and startup the engine. After a minute I shut the sea valve and now only freshwater is flushing the engine and exiting through the exhaust port. I do this for about 5 minutes or so and even go the extra by flushing Saltaway mixture at the end of the cycle. You will see the exhaust burp foamy salt-away and after a several burps I turn off hose at the strainer at the same time pull solenoid plunger locally to shut off the fuel rack which shutdown the engine. The kit comes with a fitting for your strainer - hose barb on one side and MPT on the other. It is fairly simple to install. I took that opportunity to actually replace the strainers at the same time which makes the project easier and new intake Trident brand hoses for a complete install. I believe this will save me later on heat exchangers and risers. NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO ORDER THIS KIT PLUS A MALE ADAPTER FOR HOSE CONNECTION.
              Nice kit...will definitely look into this...appreciate your feedback...thanks
              1988 3888 "Liberty"
              Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
              Onan 8.0
              Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Working...
              X