4788 engine strainers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 engine strainers.

I have perko strainers on my 4788. The strainers seem like they are in good condition, except that someone replaced one of the brass nuts that connect the tie rods with a steel one, and that the hoses from the seacocks to the strainers are old and starting to crack.

I like to “scope creep” little things into bigger projects for some reason, sometimes unnecessarily.

Has anyone chosen a “better” sea strainer for the engines? I have already replaced the generator and the watermaker perko sea strainers with Raritan units, but they are not sizable enough for the main engines.

The Perko seem to be good units, is thwere any advantage to the Groco ARG sea strainers?

Am I just chasing a solution to a problem that does not exist?

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Unless you just love spending money why not replace the correct part on the Perko? I’d rather spend the dough on the hoses and diesel.
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
      Unless you just love spending money why not replace the correct part on the Perko? I’d rather spend the dough on the hoses and diesel.
      Yep! That’s what I was thinkig! I was chasing a problem that does not exist!

I can get a perko nut, and will probably get some spare parts for theones I have and go about my happy life.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Scope creep: https://www.groco.net/products/raw-w...ing/hse-series
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

Interesting- the Hydromatic strainers appear to be capable of feeding both engines, generator and a/c if properly sized and eliminate manual cleaning of strainers.
          For some reason I still prefer multiple systems even if they are manual. I bet that strainer costs a few boat bucks
          Gibraltar, Mi.
          1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
          34' Tollycraft- sold
          88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
          14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Oh Yea, that is scope creep!

My only thought regarding replacing the perko strainers is my inherent dislike of the tie rod design. That is a lot of seals, a lot of parts.

My thought is that the ARG with it’s plastic bowl, and no bottom bronze parts simplifies the strainer, making it inherently more reliable.

The problem with my thoughts on this are that Perko sea strainers are Super reliable!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbird View Post
              Interesting- the Hydromatic strainers appear to be capable of feeding both engines, generator and a/c if properly sized and eliminate manual cleaning of strainers.
              For some reason I still prefer multiple systems even if they are manual. I bet that strainer costs a few boat bucks
              They are quite reasonable at $11,574.53 each at Fisheries Supply.
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

For what it is worth I am like you Kevin on scoop creep. When we upgrade our Gen Set a few years back now, I removed the perko for the same reason and did the ARG. Really simple design, does not leak, easy to service. Honestly on my list to upgrade the perko for the engines in a few years (but have a few other items ahead of this). Only negative that might hold me back is the units are bit large diameter but tad shorter, so might take up some of the crawl space (like 1" if I recall more then my current perko).

On a Perko note, the parts are easy to find, there are alot of parts, I think every 3-4 years I am replacing gaskets as they start to weep and turn green, but that just seems to be the nature of that design. I do carry spare wing nuts, nuts, tie rod and gasket kits, as they seem to act up at the wrong times.
                So, if what to scoop creep there are some reasons for you
                Mark
                USCG OUPV
                1990 4588
                Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny_4588 View Post
                  For what it is worth I am like you Kevin on scoop creep. When we upgrade our Gen Set a few years back now, I removed the perko for the same reason and did the ARG. Really simple design, does not leak, easy to service. Honestly on my list to upgrade the perko for the engines in a few years (but have a few other items ahead of this). Only negative that might hold me back is the units are bit large diameter but tad shorter, so might take up some of the crawl space (like 1" if I recall more then my current perko).

On a Perko note, the parts are easy to find, there are alot of parts, I think every 3-4 years I am replacing gaskets as they start to weep and turn green, but that just seems to be the nature of that design. I do carry spare wing nuts, nuts, tie rod and gasket kits, as they seem to act up at the wrong times.
                  So, if what to scoop creep there are some reasons for you
                  I have had no problems with mine so far, but it’s time to replace the hoses to the seacocks. It just seems to me that with all those parts making seals it is a design ripe for improvement.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

I find the Perko 500 series on my 38 are as simple a design as you can get. Easy to clean, minimal amount of parts for rebuild which is very easy to do, top and bottom glass gaskets easily replaced, and the strainers are easy to clean. What’s not to like?
                    As the saying goes, keep it simple. Motors, macerators and such belong on a toilet, not the raw water system
                    1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                    Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                    Lowrance Electronics!
                    MMSI
                    VHF
                    CFA 2587
                    Boating on Georgian Bay
                    Currently on the Great Loop

Comment

Thanks, Kev. Another thing to worry about that I didn't used to worry about.
                      Tally and Vicki
                      "Wickus" Meridian 341
                      MMSI 338014939

Comment

Originally posted by talman View Post
                        Thanks, Kev. Another thing to worry about that I didn't used to worry about.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Cork or rubber? See what you did?
                          Tally and Vicki
                          "Wickus" Meridian 341
                          MMSI 338014939

Comment

Do you have fresh water flush set up on your boat yet? I'm about do it on mine via tapping a valve into the strainer lid. But for you if you're considering placing the whole thing, this would be a great option if you want to prolong the life of your aftercoolers, heat exchangers, exhaust elbow, etc considerably:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fig%200593.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	478189
                            1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

I just finished making flush lids for both my mains and gen set strainers. I made them for winterizing but they could easily be used for flushing with fresh water. I used a piece of scrap 1/4” thick fiberglass I had cut out for a deck plate on the smaller and a piece of 1/4” aluminum I found at a scrap yard for the larger. I used some 3/16” dense foam for the gasket. I think the lids could be made out of 1/4” plywood saturated with some epoxy as well. I am making one for a friend and will probably do it that way.
                              Last edited by Woodsea; 01-18-2019, 05:45 PM. Reason: addition
                              2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                              12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                              MV Kia Orana
                              Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Working...
                              X