oil presure gage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil presure gage

Was cruising when oil pressure gage dropped and showed no oil pressure. I mean zero. If the sender-oil pressure failed would this cause gage to drop?
    1993 43.88 bayliner motoryatch

Potential sources of this fault.

1. Failed sender
    2. Failed gauge
    3. Open sender wire
    4. No oil pressure; engine would be make a knocking noise.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

The pressure sender and the pressure alarm switch are separate. If the oil pressure alarm did not turn on when the oil pressure indication dropped and the alarm works when you turn the ignition on, the issue most likely is in the indication system: Mike's items 1,2, or 3 above.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Yes alarm works, I will ck 1,2 and 3. This is what I figured but love throwing out to you guys just for more info and ideas. THANKS.
        1993 43.88 bayliner motoryatch

Comment

Try grounding the sense wire at the sender and the gauge should deflect to maximum; if this works the gauge and wiring are good leaving the sender as the faulty item.
          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Mikes test with grounding the sender wire is a great way to eliminate one of the possible causes. Ensure the wire connections at the gauge are solid. A loose/corroded connection there can cause your issue also.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
          X