Emptying toilet into ocean

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emptying toilet into ocean

Hi guys bought a bayliner 245 2005 model wandering how to empty the grey water tank do I just hold the two switches under the throttle or do I need to turn the valve connected to the hose in the engine bay thanks

A small correction first. Grey water is dish, hand and shower water and drain directly overboard. Toilet effluent is commonly called black water. The legality of dumping overboard depends on where you are. If you are in the Puget Sound, it's all a no discharge zone. Many of the small harbors along the BC coast are also no discharge zones. That said, and assuming you are in an area where discharge is legal, I'm going to have to assume you have a mascreator operated by the two switches you described. That should have a separate hose and through hull from the Y valve. The Y valve should either direct the effluent into the holding tank or directly overboard and, in the US, even if visiting, is required to be locked. The Y valve installation isnt usually set up for emptying the tank. What you should see, following the hoses connected at the bottom of the tank, one should go to a deck plate for use at a pump out station, another going to a pump that is connected to a hose to a through hull.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

All three of my Bayliners had no Y valve on the factory setup. Every time you flush it goes into the holding tank. The macerator is connected from the holding tank directly overboard so by simply holding the 2 switches you mentioned it will empty the holding tank overboard. As mentioned, just make sure you are in a legal dump zone which is typically 3 miles off shore.
      Cheers, Hans
      2007 Carver 41 CMY
      Twin Volvo D6-370
      Montreal, Canada
      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Thanks guys for your replies I’ll make sure I’m in a dumping area off shore before we empty the tank we went out last Sunday for the first time on the swan river awesome boat handles really well

Comment

Spada, you talk about a valve in the line. I'd make sure it is open before you hit the switches. Depending where the pump is, a closed valve may result in the proverbial everywhere, something you'll want to avoid. Have fun! Cheers
          John H
          Brisbane QLD Aust
          "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

The y-valve is before the holding tank on that model. It is either overboard or into the tank. The macerator discharge is unaffected by the y-valve. The tank is emptied either by the macerator's spring loaded buttons overboard or at a pump-out.
            1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

On my '13 285 Cruiser black water spills directly into the black water tank and the macerator, activated via 2 switches near the throttle, dumps that overboard. Sink/shower drains into a separate grey tank. From the factory there was no way to spill that to anywhere except emptying it out at a waste collection center through the side suction hole . The first mod I made to the boat was to add a Y-valve so the macerator can pick up from either the black or grey tank.

That said, Turkey (where I boat) does not allow dumping anything into the sea regardless of whether you are within 3 miles offshore or further out. We have to use a Blue Card system where we empty the tanks at a waste collection center and have the data entered into our accounts. If the officials deem that we have been out at sea for too long without a record of visiting a collection center there are heavy fines! No one seems to know what the proper period to empty the tanks should be!. Well,, nothing is perfect!
              Retired, computer expert / executive
              Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
              Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
              D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
              bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
              bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

The exceptions to black water discharge usually means 3 miles out, distance exceptions may well be extended when in a large bay.
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Whales, seals, fish, birds, cruise ships and Victoria B.C. all dump directly into the ocean. Not sure if they go 3 miles off shore or not. I know Victoria doesn't. If you have twin big blocks, that is one pricey dump!!

Can someone explain to me the differences in crap between species?

CRAP CHUTE

Comment

I wonder if there is some confusion about the regulations. I always believed overboard discharge of any kind was prohibited unless 3 miles or more off shore. But lately I have read of differences between type I, II and III systems. I forget which is which but one is direct non macerated discharge and I now believe that is what isn't allowed inside of the 3 mile limit. Type II is simply macerated. The other type is treated and macerated. The later two allowed anywhere that is not a designated no discharge zone or dissallowed by marina rules.
                    Tony Bacon,
                    Washougal, WA
                    Caspian
                    1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

CRABS GOTTA' EAT, SAME AS WORMS.

THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES

Comment

Puget Sound is now a no-discharge zone whether treated or not! The Vessel Sewage No Discharge Zone includes all Washington marine waters east of New Dungeness Light, at the east end of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, plus Lake Washington, Lake Union, and the waters that connect them to Puget Sound.
                        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                        93 3058 sold
                        92 2855 (day boat)
                        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                        Longbranch WA
                        Life is Good

Comment

OK Bacon, now I'm confused. I know what number 1 is, and I know what number 2 is. What this new one I've not heard about, number 3? Are you speaking of Barfing into the head?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Vintage View Post
                            OK Bacon, now I'm confused. I know what number 1 is, and I know what number 2 is. What this new one I've not heard about, number 3? Are you speaking of Barfing into the head?
                            It's 1 and 2 at the same time. Duh. Lol
                            Tony Bacon,
                            Washougal, WA
                            Caspian
                            1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

Make sure your sitting down for that☺

MIDNIGHT MACERATOR

Comment

Working...
                              X