EH - 700. Hino Raw Water Pump Relocation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EH - 700. Hino Raw Water Pump Relocation

I wanted to bring this subject back up to see if any progress has been made and if I can help,I'am not in the area now but will be later.
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Still on my to do list. I made a pattern, I just need to get some 2" aluminum or steel. My sticking point is locating the adjustment bolt threads. All I really need to for that is make a repeating punch, but there are other projects like a new diesel furnace, replacing the damper plates and replacing the water tank that have my attention right now.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I get the priority of projects,been their more than once....Are their the same bolt holes on the right side as on the left side?
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

The mount is, to the best of my knowledge, the same on all of the EH700 series USMarine conversions.
        The priority list isn't helped by my having been in surgical dry dock since September. I had cervical spine surgery and it left me very weak. Of course cutting all of the muscles in the back of my neck could have something to do with it. I get one good day of work then rest for two days. I'm expecting it will be a year until my stamina is fully restored, but that's life.
        P/C Pete
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

• mswtjwonthebay@gmail.com
          Editing a comment
          PCPete, I understand your dilemma my friend. I had a spinal cord injury 2 years ago this April and I am still recovering. My strength is nowhere near what it used to be and my stamina has not completely come back yet.They tell me at the two-year Mark I will be as good as I'm going to get. Best of luck when your continued recovery.

While it’d be nice to relocate the pump of the port engine to the starboard side of said engine, I only replace the impeller every two years so it’s not terribly high on the hit list for me.
        Pete, hope you get your strength back soon!
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

I’ve gotten pretty good at accessing the pumps as they are, and like Jim don’t replace impellers that often and prefer to remove the entire pump when I do for inspection. Even belt adjustments aren’t too bad to do on the port engine. That said, I did notice a water pump that might replace the kashiyama it came with. Looks like it could be a fairly simple replacement if it’s specs are enough for the eh700.
          https://www.sbmar.com/product/smx-12...al-water-pump/

James
          1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
          Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
          Lowrance Electronics!
          MMSI
          VHF
          CFA 2587
          Boating on Georgian Bay
          Currently on the Great Loop

Comment

Thanks Jim, it's going to be a long haul. 70 isn't the new 21. I'm just getting so I can drive in light traffic but with someone with me. It's like I'm back with a learners permit.
            James, my only concern with that pump, assuming it meets the flow requirements, is that it's designed as a wash down pump. At least that's the nomenclature for the part. That leads me to think that it's designed for shorter duty cycles that we probably use our engines. The manufacturer would be able address that question and I really doubt that our current pumps are putting out 10 gallons per minute however, there isn't a description as to how many rpm the pump is achieving to get to that 10gpm. Our current pumps are probably close to 1:1 with the engine rpm when I think about the pulley sizes. It's a great starting place, thanks.
            P/C Pete
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

My on idea on how to relocate the pump properly depended on me finding a slightly longer belt and then I gave up after looking...I keep meaning to contact suppliers but it's low on the list.
              . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

Hi Pete,

Under the description tab it does give flow specs at RPM's, not sure what's required as well.
                600 pump rpm, 10 gpm, 10 psi
                1200 pump rpm, 15 gpm, 10 psi
                2400 pump rpm, 30 gpm, 10 psi

It's listing calls it a seawater pump in the header, then wash down pump in the description. Not sure which is accurate
                You're right though, I doubt it would be as robust and long lasting as our 30 year old Kashiyama pumps.

James
                Lowrance Electronics!
                MMSI
                VHF
                CFA 2587
                Boating on Georgian Bay

Comment

James, the output could be adjusted by reducing the pulley diameter, so that's a solvable issue. The current pump has a threaded hole for the tensioner, so that, along with what will turn out to be an adapter for mounting would be required. I'd want to see how the impeller is serviced. The end plate elevation was missing, although I didn't dig further. I'm with you on the durability of the original pump. My engines have 3800 or so hours on them and they check out fine.
                  Earl probably knows how much volume and pressure are in the specs. I wouldn't be surprised if he's lurking at this thread.
                  P/C Pete
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  MMSI 367770440

Comment

3800 hours, wow, and I was impressed mine just rolled over 2000 hours while on the loop.
                    Lowrance Electronics!
                    MMSI
                    VHF
                    CFA 2587
                    Boating on Georgian Bay

Comment

If I recall correctly, the threaded portion of the pump for the adjustment bolt goes all the way thru. With slight modification to the adjusting bolt, you can keep the existing pump and adjustment bolt. Only thread it thru the other side. I'm on and off working on a relocation bracket as well.. Just had allot going on lately. I'm really hoping that the next time I take off the pump for impeller change, it will be to also relocate the pump.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses,so I guess that the 4 bolt hole pattern on the pump bracket are only on the left side of the motor.Must be otherwise this subject would not come up.
                        Again thanks for posting and hopefully some one can figure out an easy solution...ya right.
                        Brad & Sharon
                        Lady Jake
                        LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                        kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Working...
                        X