hardtop 3888

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hardtop 3888

Has anyone built there own hardtop for the rear deck on a 3888 ? If so any tips on materials and construction greatly appreciated !!

Thanks

I would use a medium hard core foam, plywood is heavy if you want to stand on it, be sure that is the type of foam for laminating.
    Fiberglass both sides with re-enforcing wood strips on the edges and middle at a minimum.
    If making a mold use bathroom fiberglass from Lowes or Home Depot use the smooth side for the mold.
    Be sure to wax it and spray PVA mold release over the wax.
    You could also use the finish side of the bathroom fiberglass under the cover for easy cleaning and looks.
    I like the cream colored fiberglass better than the white, I forget if it is Lowes or home depot that has the cream colored fiberglass.
    I use this same fiberglass for my tunnel molds.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Pat got it mostly right. I used 3/4 balsa in a mold. If I was doing it again I would make a few frames to drape core over glass one side then flip and glass the other side. To get a good enough surface in the mold you will have as much time in it as you will to post finish/ smooth the glassed up surface and have spent more money in the process.
      1989 3888
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

When I did mine I gel coated the top with non-skid grit on the final coat.
        I believe home depot has a fine grit additive.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Has anyone made one from anything other then fibreglass ?

Comment

Plywood is heavy, especially if you want to stand on it.
            Other option is a canvas shop with a tube frames. costly.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I installed one of these on my boat They are light weight and it does not get real hot under it.
              Hard to Top boat hardtops are custom made for each boat's specifications and are attached to the boat's existing bimini frame or other structures.
              1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
              5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

Working...
              X