OAL (not LOA) of 3288 versus 3688

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty477 View Post

Of course the length you pay is based upon where you are at the time - some places that we have gone over the years care a lot about OA length, others it is the beam, and still others take a calculation of the two.
    We never had a home slip except at our home.so the others are all transient related.
    I have never been charged by the LOA as a transient. The Avanti was a 3255 so they charged me for a 32 although it was close to 38 with my extended swim platform, the Carver says 41 so 41 it is. Would seem odd not to mention cheap that they would come around and measure for a nights stay as a transient but I guess some places do.
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Our club measures tip to tip for slip size, and my 3288 fit a 38' slip including pulpit and 10'-6" zodiac on weaver davits. A 3688 wouldn't make it
      1988- 3288, 1994- 3288, now 2001- 3788 w/330s

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Length_overall
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

[QUOTE=MidnightSun;n469990]

I have never been charged by the LOA as a transient. The Avanti was a 3255 so they charged me for a 32 although it was close to 38 with my extended swim platform, the Carver says 41 so 41 it is. Would seem odd not to mention cheap that they would come around and measure for a nights stay as a transient but I guess some places do.[/QUOTE

If you get to the NE US you will see the actual boats full length (tip to tip) being charged in all area near NY city to northern NJ from Haverstraw marina to at least Egg harbor. All the marinas gong out along the LI sound on both the CT side and LI side to about Norwalk will be the full length then on the Ct side out to near Mystic. There will be a slight gap where some charge less until you get a few more miles east to Montauk ,Greenport and BI where your back to full length. Similar for he RI shores and Maine.
          Northport NY

Comment

Originally posted by smitty477 View Post
            I do not have the exact dimensions on the 3288 aa I have not owned one.
            Here are a few I did own....

- a 3870 Bayliner has a molded hull that is 38' '5"
            - a 4588 Bayliner has a molded hull that is 45' 2"
            - a 4788 Bayliner has a molded hull that is 47' 2"

In each case they are actually 3-5 feet longer than the molded hull dimensions when you include the swim platform and bow pulpits.

Correct numbers on molded hull are here....
            - a 3870 Bayliner has a molded hull that is 38' '2"
            - a 4588 Bayliner has a molded hull that is 45' 4"
            - a 4788 Bayliner has a molded hull that is 47' 4"
            Northport NY

Comment

[QUOTE=smitty477;n470017]
              Originally posted by MidnightSun View Post

I have never been charged by the LOA as a transient. The Avanti was a 3255 so they charged me for a 32 although it was close to 38 with my extended swim platform, the Carver says 41 so 41 it is. Would seem odd not to mention cheap that they would come around and measure for a nights stay as a transient but I guess some places do.[/QUOTE

If you get to the NE US you will see the actual boats full length (tip to tip) being charged in all area near NY city to northern NJ from Haverstraw marina to at least Egg harbor. All the marinas gong out along the LI sound on both the CT side and LI side to about Norwalk will be the full length then on the Ct side out to near Mystic. There will be a slight gap where some charge less until you get a few more miles east to Montauk ,Greenport and BI where your back to full length. Similar for he RI shores and Maine.
              Hans - in case you need it your 41 Carver has an overall length of 42' and 11" without an anchor off the bow. If you had an anchor on the bow or a dinghy off the stern those would need to e added to get the real total.
              Northport NY

Comment

The marina Mr. Darcy is in charges by LOA or the length of the finger dock, which ever is greater. So I pay for a 40' slip to dock my 3270 (36.5' LOA) The next shorter slip is too short for my boat as LOA would exceed the allowed "overhang"

Greg
                Newport, Oregon
                South Beach Marina
                1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr._Darcy View Post
                  The marina Mr. Darcy is in charges by LOA or the length of the finger dock, which ever is greater. So I pay for a 40' slip to dock my 3270 (36.5' LOA) The next shorter slip is too short for my boat as LOA would exceed the allowed "overhang"

Greg
                  IMHO this is the best and most fair way to charge for seasonals or yearly depending on your location. Everyone in the same length slip regardless of length should pay the same. The cost for the marina is now a fixed rate for them and all there. As in your case it would be normal to put in a maximum length however not too sure on a minimum except to guarantee enough room for the bigger boats.

Unfortunately most do charge by the ft and most are going with LOA for seasonal/yearly use. Getting a new bigger anchor comes to mind as now the LOA has increased by a ft so one gets charged an for additional ft every year? One decides to add an inflatable on davits and it sticks out an additional 2 ft but only when it is on the boat but they charge anyways? I have been on these forums long enough to see folding pulpits and platforms installed to cut these costs which can easily get over 100/ft. As if this was not enough I read they are starting to charge LOA x beam to get a square footage all in the name of squeezing out more $. I guess the next addition will be height so they can charge by the cubic ft or maybe they can throw in weight to calculate water displacement also? I have been at either city or provincial marinas for the last 11 years and really like the way they operate, no squabbling and penny pinching when it comes to increases. A standard across the board percentage increase usually @ inflation rates is to be expected but that is about it. OH, almost forgot, last year our ice went from $2.50 to $3.
                  Cheers, Hans
                  2007 Carver 41 CMY
                  Twin Volvo D6-370
                  Montreal, Canada
                  Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Here is another view of the LOA and how it concerns Docks/Marinas...

Where we are there are many docks & marinas that are fixed which do not have slips and use the total length of the dock to service the boats.
                    These docks use a form to fill out when booking a slip that asks for LOA from 'tip to tip".
                    If there was no form filled out they ask the same question when the dock is hailed on the radio "Captain, whet is your length overall tip to tip?"
                    They need that information to safely assign spots on the dock that are best suited to the boat owners.
                    Occasionally they get an owner that will say there 52" boat is really a 47 foot boat - there are many problems that follow those kinds of misleading statements as you can imagine.
                    I know this as my daughter has been working docks/marinas for the past 8+ years and is also friends with many other dock attendants.
                    Currently she is the dockmaster at Northport and these situations happen much too often, she has also worked at Del A Mar in Ct and Champlains in BI with similar stories.

The dockmasters definitely find this behavior to be odd , cheap, and unsafe on the docks/marinas that they work.
                    Montauk, Champlains, Norwalk , Northport , Del A Mar, Noank, Mystic and others all have these dockmasters that share information on who is a problem with each other - the outcome is predictable.
                    Northport NY

Comment

Virtually every marina that's I've been to in the PNW wants to know the LOA, including dinghies for transient moorage. The do this whether the boat is going to side-tie at a linear dock or go in a slip. It's done for safety as well as as a basis for the price. I have zero issues with the practice and always provide them the correct length.

This conversation reminds me of what an airport in the Caribbean used to do with small airplanes up though the early 80s. A person from the airport administration used to meet airplanes as soon as they taxied in and shut down. They would ask the pilot for the certified gross weight of the airplane, and would base their parking fees on that. They never actually verified the weight, something that was easy enough to do. As a result, many pilots in the area would refer to the airport as the home of the worlds lightest airplanes.
                      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
                      X