Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OAL (not LOA) of 3288 versus 3688

Hi folks,

We’re looking at upgrading our boat to either a 3288 or a 3688. The next slip size up at our yacht club, which we’re on the waiting list for, has a maximum OAL of 38 feet. That’s overall length — tip to tip, anchor to end of swim platform, rather than the length of just the hull. I’m having a hard time getting the OAL (versus LOA) numbers for the 3688 ... the 3288 appears to be 36.5 feet from my research. The e3688 has the swim platform integrated into the hull, so my guess is that it’s around 38.5 overall length ... potentially too long for the slip we’d be moving up to to. Does anyone have a line drawing showing the dimensions for the 3288 and 3688? I could use the information to narrow my search down.

Cheers,
    -T

LOA is defined as the Length Overall, tip to tip.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

3688 LOA is right at 40' , we are in a 42' slip and when the pulpit is flush with the walkway there is only 2' of finger beyond the swim step. I can send you a pic if you'd like.
      Brad & Michelle
      Bo, Jet & Maverick (we need a bigger boat!)
      1993 3688 "the Kraken"
      Hino W06 250HP
      14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
      Moored at Shelter Bay
      LaConner, WA

Comment

My 1989 3288 is 37’. My swim step and bow pulpit look pretty normal in size.
        James
        Kai Nani, Redondo Beach
        1989 MY 3288
        Hino 135hp with Hurth 630A Trannies

Comment

LOA is not just the swimstep to pulpit or as stated above "tip to to" You. Also need to include a dinghy hanging off the Swimstep/transom.
          Brad & Sharon
          Lady Jake
          1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
          LaConner,Wa. (summer)
          2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
          kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

My 3288 is 36'6" tip to tip without counting the dinghy mounted on the swim step. I take a long tape measure with me when I go look at a prospective boat to ensure it will fit. I find a lot of inaccuracies in published boat measurements. Good luck in your search.
            Rick
            1994, 3288

Comment

LOA is the total length of the boat... some manufactures over the years have measured this differently.
              the current trend is to include measuring the swim platform at the rear and the anchor platform at the front, as the LOA, and selling the boat as that length....
              a few years ago, and still some manufactures will measure only the length of the basic hull and sell the footage of the boat based on this measurement.

as we all know, marinas like to charge based on the tip to tip length, which in some cases is completely reasonable, whereas other times it is an unreasonable way to charge, depending on the way the boat actually infringes on any additional space.

so the LOA designation can be misleading (and even more so is, "OAL") but if you want to know the "tip-to-tip" measurement with ALL protuberances, then you have to ask what is the "tip-to-tip" measurement with ALL protuberances at each end?.... this can be very different on the same models of any boat, depending on what the previous owner has done to change or modify it to suit their needs, or what you may do to change it to suit you!!! same with maximum beam...

NU LIBERTE'
              Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
              5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
              N2K equipped throughout..
              2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
              2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
              '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
              Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Yep, a pet peeve of mine. My 3388 is 39'1". You can't say length overall (LOA = OAL, sorry) is such and such, "not counting..." The motorhome we have our eye on is "36g.", Guess what, it's 38'1". The manufacturers aren't doing anybody any favors, just blowing smoke up everyone's kilt...
                Jeff & Tara
                (And Ginger too)
                Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                "GetAway"
                Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
                  Yep, a pet peeve of mine. My 3388 is 39'1". You can't say length overall (LOA = OAL, sorry) is such and such, "not counting..." The motorhome we have our eye on is "36g.", Guess what, it's 38'1". The manufacturers aren't doing anybody any favors, just blowing smoke up everyone's kilt...
                  Of course there are a number of brand boats that you can buy that would have a 34 foot overall length with a designator like "395".
                  The hull would be 33.5 feet but the overall length with swimstep and bow pulpit might be 39-1/2.
                  FWIW - I always thought we got the better deal in the long run.....
                  Northport NY

Comment

• Centerline2
                    Centerline2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Im with Jeffw....the better deal would be if the manufactures would designate their boats to the footage of the hull, rather than what all they can bolt on to it to make it stick out farther on the ends..... the actual length of the hull is what gives some idea of the interior volume, where as a 3-4ft anchor platform, and a 3 foot swim platform adding the 6ft to the "designated" length is wrong in every respect, except for the marketing factor... they can advertise a boat as being bigger than it is, and then sell it at an over inflated price at its ACTUAL length, and the buyers can brag to their friends about the 30ft boat they bought, which is really only a 24ftr.....

"Im with Jeffw....the better deal would be if the manufactures would designate their boats to the footage of the hull, rather than what all they can bolt on to it to make it stick out farther on the ends."
                  Jeff's boat has a hull that is 33'+ long, it is called a 3388.

".... the actual length of the hull is what gives some idea of the interior volume, where as a 3-4ft anchor platform, and a 3 foot swim platform adding the 6ft to the "designated" length is wrong in every respect"
                  His hull is accurately described by the 33' along with the correct beam.

"except for the marketing factor... they can advertise a boat as being bigger than it is, and then sell it at an over inflated price at its ACTUAL length,"
                  The boat is marketed and well known as the 3388 Bayliner -

"and the buyers can brag to their friends about the 30ft boat they bought, which is really only a 24ftr...."
                  Jeff (the buyer) has a 3388 named boat that is actually a 33' hull but is over 39' when you include the platform and pulpit.
                  When he rafts up to friends the overall length will be apparent - as it used to e wen we rafted our boats up to Cruisers and Sea Rays.

Northport NY

Comment

Originally posted by smitty477 View Post

Of course there are a number of brand boats that you can buy that would have a 34 foot overall length with a designator like "395".
                    The hull would be 33.5 feet but the overall length with swimstep and bow pulpit might be 39-1/2.
                    FWIW - I always thought we got the better deal in the long run.....
                    The truth of the matter is who cares except for the marina that pulls out the measuring tape to charge by the LOA length and then thiere are some like the bragging rights and when asked they give the LOA for their size of boat. Never made much sense to me. My slip I have now was used by my 3255 and I paid for a 32 however I now have a 43 so I pay for that now. What has changed, cost for the marina are the same. Personally I believe a dock should be charged by the length of it and not the boat tied up to it. If I have a 16' boat and want a 40' dock then there would be no argument since I would pay for the dock.
                    Cheers, Hans
                    2007 Carver 41 CMY
                    Twin Volvo D6-370
                    Montreal, Canada
                    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I do not have the exact dimensions on the 3288 aa I have not owned one.
                      Here are a few I did own....

- a 3870 Bayliner has a molded hull that is 38' '5"
                      - a 4588 Bayliner has a molded hull that is 45' 2"
                      - a 4788 Bayliner has a molded hull that is 47' 2"

In each case they are actually 3-5 longer than the molded hull dimensions when you include the swim platform and bow pulpits.
                      Northport NY

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSun View Post

The truth of the matter is who cares except for the marina that pulls out the measuring tape to charge by the LOA length and then thiere are some like the bragging rights and when asked they give the LOA for their size of boat. Never made much sense to me. My slip I have now was used by my 3255 and I paid for a 32 however I now have a 43 so I pay for that now. What has changed, cost for the marina are the same. Personally I believe a dock should be charged by the length of it and not the boat tied up to it. If I have a 16' boat and want a 40' dock then there would be no argument since I would pay for the dock.
                        Of course the length you pay is based upon where you are at the time - some places that we have gone over the years care a lot about OA length, others it is the beam, and still others take a calculation of the two.
                        We never had a home slip except at our home.so the others are all transient related.
                        Northport NY

Comment

Originally posted by smitty477 View Post
                          I do not have the exact dimensions on the 3288 aa I have not owned one.
                          Here are a few I did own....

- a 3870 Bayliner has a molded hull that is 38' '5"
                          - a 4588 Bayliner has a molded hull that is 45' 2"
                          - a 4788 Bayliner has a molded hull that is 47' 2"

In each case they are actually 3-5 longer than the molded hull dimensions when you include the swim platform and bow pulpits.
                          I believe the bayliner model# number listed are often LWL (Length at waterline, doesn't include swimstep or pulpit) vs LOA ... again varies by manufacturer...
                          Brad & Michelle
                          Bo, Jet & Maverick (we need a bigger boat!)
                          1993 3688 "the Kraken"
                          Hino W06 250HP
                          14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
                          Moored at Shelter Bay
                          LaConner, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyface View Post

I believe the bayliner model# number listed are often LWL (Length at waterline, doesn't include swimstep or pulpit) vs LOA ... again varies by manufacturer...
                            They are not length at the waterline - those dimensions are for he molded hull from the stern to the bow using a plum bob to get the overall length of the hull only without swim platform and pulpit.
                            Admittedly I did go from memory but I will look them up to check when I get home tonight.
                            LWL will be a good amount shorter as the bow does have a decent rise as seen by a profile picture.
                            Northport NY

Comment

Working...
                            X