Acoustic Carpet Underlayment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acoustic Carpet Underlayment

Does anyone know of any retailers in the Puget Sound area that carry acoustic carpet underlayment? I'm looking for products similar to these:
    http://www.soundown.com/carpet%20under.htm#
    https://www.soundaway.com/acoustic-c...yAAEgJvkfD_BwE
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

How about these guys. Scrol down to Pacific Northwest and there's a distributor in Tukwilla. http://www.soundown.com/rep_page3.htm
    if they don't sell directly, they can point you to a retailer.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
      How about these guys. Scrol down to Pacific Northwest and there's a distributor in Tukwilla. http://www.soundown.com/rep_page3.htm
      if they don't sell directly, they can point you to a retailer.
      That was on my to-do list, but I was hoping that someone at BOC had first hand knowledge/experience with a local supplier .
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

I've been wanting to replace the cockpit carpet. The insulation underneath the engine hatches are dated and could be replaced too. Would these sound absorbent material replace the under-hatch insulation?
        Ned Porges / Seattle

Comment

Originally posted by nedporges View Post
          I've been wanting to replace the cockpit carpet. The insulation underneath the engine hatches are dated and could be replaced too. Would these sound absorbent material replace the under-hatch insulation?
          Fisheries supply carries insulation that can be used for hatches:
          https://www.fisheriessupply.com/soun...rier-composite

It's supposed to be attached with these hangers:
          https://www.fisheriessupply.com/soun...-piece-hanger2
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

My understanding of trying to kill sound is closer to the sound you are with blankets the more effective you will be.

I would think that going on the top sides of hatches is going to be quite a bit less effective than a similar blanket from the underside. Decoupler layer immediately under carpet doesn't seem like it would be doing nearly as much as if you have it on the underside of hatch and not letting it migrate through the hatch structural member (plywood)

It won't hurt but pound for pound I would put my time/effort/money into good engine room materials then when I was locked in there and trying to make incremental improvement maybe consider under-carpet but I think that is a step getting into the flatter part of effective v. cost curve approaching diminishing returns.
            1989 3888
            Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Originally posted by kwb View Post
              My understanding of trying to kill sound is closer to the sound you are with blankets the more effective you will be.

I would think that going on the top sides of hatches is going to be quite a bit less effective than a similar blanket from the underside. Decoupler layer immediately under carpet doesn't seem like it would be doing nearly as much as if you have it on the underside of hatch and not letting it migrate through the hatch structural member (plywood)

It won't hurt but pound for pound I would put my time/effort/money into good engine room materials then when I was locked in there and trying to make incremental improvement maybe consider under-carpet but I think that is a step getting into the flatter part of effective v. cost curve approaching diminishing returns.
              Since the carpet is already being replaced, I might as well get some more noise reduction from acoustic carpet underlayment.
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

Interesting looking products, I will be very interested in hearing how well they work in the boat environment.

We are also considering a re-carpeting project and was considering using some Mass Loaded Vinyl that I purchased for a remodeling project at our home (but didn't end up using). I have ~200 sqft in two rolls (4'x25') available for use. I was thinking at least in the salon under carpet padding (or over), it might prove very beneficial. I do wonder how willing a carpet installer may be to work with this stuff (as I do not plan to handle this project on my own).

Interesting that at least one of the products appears to use similar Mass Loaded Vinyl as one of the two-part sound barrier.

The product I have is similar to this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There appear to be many other sound deadening products sold on Amazon.
                GMS
                2008 Meridian 490
                2010 ArrowCat Express 30 (sold)

Comment

The avsolute best sound deadner would be lead sheet sandwiched between plastic or urethane . It is used in almost every recording studio and in areas of very high decible machinery noise. Lead in this form is not poisonous. It is likely expensive, But then, the best is always costs more. Google can provide lots of info.
                  Stan
                  2001 Bayliner 4788
                  Underhulls
                  Bow & Stern Thrusters
                  Hydronic heater
                  330 Cummins

Comment

Originally posted by stanfromhell View Post
                    The avsolute best sound deadner would be lead sheet sandwiched between plastic or urethane . It is used in almost every recording studio and in areas of very high decible machinery noise. Lead in this form is not poisonous. It is likely expensive, But then, the best is always costs more. Google can provide lots of info.
                    Sound blocking, as opposed to sound absorption, requires a dense material; this is why lead is used. Mass loaded vinyl is used as a less expensive, more flexible, and easier to use alternative. The carper underlay that I'm interested in consists of some foam to provide resiliency and a bit of absorption as well as a layer of mass loaded vinyl.
                    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
                    X