shafts turning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not worry about it!
    It does mean your clutch packs are in good shape!
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Originally posted by gsholz View Post
      Recently I looked at a boat with 8V92s and ZF gears. When the broker started the port engine, the boat surged forward against the dock lines due to the same issue.
      Perhaps a difference between what could be considered normal and not really neutral? On my boat the shaft turns on stbd engine but not port. It turns very slowly, not enough to move the boat. Stbd shaft is easy to turn by hand. Port shaft is a bit hard to turn by hand and now I am thinking that is an alignment issue.

Tony Bacon,
      Washougal, WA
      Caspian
      1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

Make sure the gear lever is in the correct position and not out of adjustment, best way to tell is put it in neutral and disconnect the cable at the transmission , it should line up with the lever with-out re-adjusting the cable..

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Maybe you've left the cruise control engaged

Comment

The only problem would be for swimmers and fishing while out of gear and idling.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Is this boat sitting in water that has a current? When I anchor out, if there's a good current, I have to lock the prop shafts as they will just twirl all night long. With the engine running, That could be enough to loosen them up to the point of current being able to rotate them.. Otherwise, I've seen all manner of I/O's and Inboards that will rotate shafts and props even in neutral. There's very little force behind it.. Heck, even if you have a car jacked up and in neutral, it will still rotate the front wheels, which you can stop with your foot.

Comment

• ketadog
                ketadog commented
                Editing a comment
                No, no current really to speak of at my mooring spot...……
            Working...
            X